The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 2017-12-01 at 6:40 PM, YummyCakeFace said:

Dunno what happened there. This site is crap. Pencil neck idiots fixed what wasn't broke.      I like Zaun. Poor over sensitive, entitled people getting their way again. Our society is a bunch of soft cry babies. 

are you kidding? I haven’t read details on any of the several accusations of sexual harassment but from my encounters with the guy and stories I’ve heard I’d hazard a guess that this isn’t a case of women being over sensitive and Zaun is completely unapologetic about it to boot. Steroids, lying about steroids, and now this- he’s not a man of integrity. I didn’t mind him as an analyst but he deserves whatever comes his way now.

• Upvote 1

Report: Giants, Mariners, Padres among finalists for Ohtani

The San Francisco Giants, Seattle Mariners, and San Diego Padres are each expected to meet with Ohtani and his representatives when the phenom comes to Los Angeles this week, according to ClubhouseCorner's Bernie Pleskoff.

Later on, it was reported that both the Texas Rangers and Chicago Cubs will receive meetings with Ohtani as well.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1438291

Here's an updated list of teams out of the running:

Wow talk about a slap in the face from New York Daily News, makes me even more happier the Yankees won't be getting him! All because he doesn't want to be in the East and in a big Market.

NY paper slams 'chicken' Ohtani for snubbing Yankees

The folks at the New York Daily News weren't nearly as cool about the whole thing.

In response to Ohtani's decision, the newspaper called the two-way phenom a "chicken" on the highly critical front page of Monday's paper while also characterizing his decision as a "snub" and accusing him of being scared of the "big city."

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1438477

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow talk about a slap in the face from New York Daily News, makes me even more happier the Yankees won't be getting him! All because he doesn't want to be in the East and in a big Market.

NY paper slams 'chicken' Ohtani for snubbing Yankees

The folks at the New York Daily News weren't nearly as cool about the whole thing.

In response to Ohtani's decision, the newspaper called the two-way phenom a "chicken" on the highly critical front page of Monday's paper while also characterizing his decision as a "snub" and accusing him of being scared of the "big city."

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1438477

The NY Daily News is the equivalent to the Vancouver Courier. I find it funny that you put stock in what a 3rd tier media outlets says about a player.

29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I just read it on the score and why the hell would I know about that paper I don't follow that crap organization.

I don't get the connection. The paper doesn't have any ties to the organization aside from residing in the same city.

17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Let's see I don't follow the crap Yankees so why would I follow their news papers....

You should have seen some of the Yankees fans on Reddit when the Ohtani news broke out. My god I have never seen so much salt and entitlement at once before.

• Cheers 2

Report: Rogers considering selling Blue Jays

https://www.tsn.ca/report-rogers-considering-selling-blue-jays-1.935709

Rogers Communications Inc. is considering selling the Toronto Blue Jays to free up capital for other investments, Chief Financial Officer Tony Staffieri told Natalie Wong of Bloomberg News.

Staffieri added that no deal is imminent.

Rogers bought the controlling stake in the team in 2000 from Belgian brewer Interbrew. In 2005, the SkyDome was renamed Rogers Centre.

The Blue Jays were unable to follow up their success from 2015 and 2016 last year, finishing at 76-86.

They will open the 2018 season on March 29 at home against the New York Yankees.

1 hour ago, TheRick said:

Report: Rogers considering selling Blue Jays

https://www.tsn.ca/report-rogers-considering-selling-blue-jays-1.935709

Hope MLSE buys them. It's plausible too since Rogers has a 37.5% share. They seem to spend top dollar on their teams and own every other major team in the area. Rogers selling the team would be a bad thing. Unless the fans luck out with a new owner (MLSE) our payroll will go down.

Edited by Xbox

Now this was shocking lol.

Rafael Palmeiro: 'There's No Doubt' I Can Make MLB Comeback at Age 53

Longtime MLB first baseman Rafael Palmeiro is considering a comeback at age 53, 12 years after his last game in the major leagues.

On Wednesday, Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic passed along comments from the four-time All-Star, who remains confident in his physical abilities.

"There's no doubt in my mind I can do it," Palmeiro said. "I've taken care of myself really well. I've been working out for years. Everything feels better than when I played."

His playing days came to an end on a low note, however, after he received a 10-day suspension from MLB after testing positive for stanozolol, an anabolic steroid, in 2005.

Palmeiro told Rosenthal the suspension was a "perfect storm that basically destroyed me" and continues to say he never knowingly took any performance-enhancing substances.

"Maybe 12 years later, I can prove to the whole world that I didn't need anything to have a good career," he said. "Maybe 12 years later, if I can come back and prove I don't need anything as an older player with an older body, then people might think, 'OK, maybe he didn't do anything intentionally.'"

At 53, it's unclear whether Palmeiro could still contribute in the field—he said he's still capable of playing first base—or if he'd be relegated to serving as a DH. Regardless, Orioles general manager Dan Duquette told The Athletic that Palmeiro's comeback would be an "interesting story," adding, "It's like tying your shoes … If you can hit, then you can hit."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2747906-rafael-palmeiro-theres-no-doubt-i-can-make-mlb-comeback-at-age-53

1 minute ago, Pears said:

And why would Shapiro and Atkins be fired?

All their acquisitions have failed. EE is gone and Donaldson will be too. They don't pay any star player dating back to when they were in Cleveland when they dealt off the stars in fires sales. How many losing season's did Cleveland suffer before finally making it to World Series.

Jays have gotten worst since they arrived. This is all of Rogers doing. Look how $$ is being spent. Instead of bringing EE back they waste it on players like Morales, Pearce.  That's Sharpio/Atkin's ideal of better using payroll. Please. They were hired to sell off all the stars and anyone else of value to start a rebuild when they were THAT closing to winning it all. They kept Dickey for another year when they should have let him go.

On 12/5/2017 at 9:46 PM, Xbox said:

Hope MLSE buys them. It's plausible too since Rogers has a 37.5% share. They seem to spend top dollar on their teams and own every other major team in the area. Rogers selling the team would be a bad thing. Unless the fans luck out with a new owner (MLSE) our payroll will go down.

Stephen Brunt made a good point about this yesterday on Tim and Sid. There are only a few teams left in MLB with corporate ownership and according to Brunt (whom I think knows what he's talking about) MLB would prefer there were none.

So the question is: Who in Toronto has the scratch to buy Jays? There can't be very many. Especially when you consider that it's a team that's re-tooling, if not outright rebuilding.

12 hours ago, fivethej said:

All their acquisitions have failed. EE is gone and Donaldson will be too. They don't pay any star player dating back to when they were in Cleveland when they dealt off the stars in fires sales. How many losing season's did Cleveland suffer before finally making it to World Series.

Jays have gotten worst since they arrived. This is all of Rogers doing. Look how $$ is being spent. Instead of bringing EE back they waste it on players like Morales, Pearce.  That's Sharpio/Atkin's ideal of better using payroll. Please. They were hired to sell off all the stars and anyone else of value to start a rebuild when they were THAT closing to winning it all. They kept Dickey for another year when they should have let him go.

I don't think you really thought this through. Certainly, some of the Shatkins decisions didn't pan out, (Pearce, Joey Bats, the lack of a backup catcher....) but Morales put up similar numbers to EE's for a lot less money. He also was signed for a shorter term...

Other acquisitions are certainly in the wait and see territory, but personally, I'm excited about Lourdes Gurriel Jr, and Teoscar Hernandez.

• Upvote 1

The other thing that people seem to forget about letting Edwing walk, is that if Shatkins gave him the same deal that Cleveland did, he undoubtedly would have spent most of the year at 1st base.. That means that the team MVP (and All-star) Justin Smoak, likely would not have been resigned, or would have spent most of the season riding the pine....

• Upvote 1