The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

2 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

So the question is: Who in Toronto has the scratch to buy Jays? There can't be very many. Especially when you consider that it's a team that's re-tooling, if not outright rebuilding.

Bell, Scotiabank, Loblaws and MLSE are all I can think of. Sounds like Rogers wants to keep the broadcasting rights. That's where most the money is made so I don't see a willing buyer. Anything but MLSE would be bad news to us fans. MLSE owns the Toronto FC, Raptors and Maple Leafs.

Edited by Xbox

9 hours ago, Xbox said:

Bell, Scotiabank, Loblaws and MLSE are all I can think of. Sounds like Rogers wants to keep the broadcasting rights. That's where most the money is made so I don't see a willing buyer. Anything but MLSE would be bad news to us fans. MLSE owns the Toronto FC, Raptors and Maple Leafs.

The point was that MLB is not interested in corporate ownership. The question becomes "which individual has the money to buy the Jays?"

26 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The point was that MLB is not interested in corporate ownership. The question becomes "which individual has the money to buy the Jays?"

Can't think of one tbh. Whoever it is I would bet the payroll goes down.

16 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

You are looking at the new heart of the Yankee order. Yankees are giving up Castro and I believe Ellsbury, plus a bunch of B prospects. Oh baby, I cant wait for spring training!

The Yankees and Astros have to be the Al favourites now.  As a Jays fan.... I hope this opens up Shatkins eyes to the fact that every good player that becomes available via trade and/or free agency stands a good chance of coming to our division. 

But if the last 2 years are indicators... I expect us to do nothing significant and to pick up bargain bin relievers again to slowly fade out. Hopefully fans quit supporting this if that’s their plan. 

1 hour ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

The Yankees and Astros have to be the Al favourites now.  As a Jays fan.... I hope this opens up Shatkins eyes to the fact that every good player that becomes available via trade and/or free agency stands a good chance of coming to our division. 

But if the last 2 years are indicators... I expect us to do nothing significant and to pick up bargain bin relievers again to slowly fade out. Hopefully fans quit supporting this if that’s their plan. 

What are you expecting or wanting Atkins to do? His hands were tied when he got the job. One of the worst farm systems in baseball, an ageing core that was never good enough to win, and a fan base that still wanted him to compete. They should have completely rebuilded, now I don't think he gets that chance.

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

What are you expecting or wanting Atkins to do? His hands were tied when he got the job. One of the worst farm systems in baseball, an ageing core that was never good enough to win, and a fan base that still wanted him to compete. They should have completely rebuilded, now I don't think he gets that chance.

We needed pitching last year not losers like olberholtzer signed and pickups like Koehler. I don’t think drafting/developing alone can ever compete with the Yankees and Red Sox.  We had a short window to at least play playoff baseball but that’s done. At least as long as Tulo and Martin are here. We lack a solid #5 pitcher. Depth that can start with injuries. I feel we only have 2 proven bullpen arms. I just feel that those two think we’re a depth move or two away from competing when in effect we’re a long way off. 

5 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

It seem like the Jays have been rebuilding for like 22 years now, minus those two years in 2013 and 2015.

I've always said, you will never be able to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox, unless you're willing to spend money, not just on free agents, but improving your scouting and developmental program. It's too bad Rogers isn't invested enough to spend cash on the Jays.

7 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I agree with Reggie. I think it's time to admit that the current incarnation of the Jays can't compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros or Indians.

This is the time to deal Donaldson, Smoak and Stroman and try to add players that will be coming into their own around the time that Vlady Jr., Bichette and Teoscar do.

29 minutes ago, shiznak said:

It seem like the Jays have been rebuilding for like 22 years now, minus those two years in 2013 and 2015.

I've always said, you will never be able to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox, unless you're willing to spend money, not just on free agents, but improving your scouting and developmental program. It's too bad Rogers isn't invested enough to spend cash on the Jays.

Really? It seems the exact opposite to me. The trade with the Marlins, the signings of guys like Corey Koskie, Scott Downs, AJ Burnette, BJ Ryan, Frank Thomas...In fact, as a fan since '77, I can't recall the Jays ever tearing it down and attempting a rebuild.

Also, I think the Astros just proved that you can win without a huge payroll. If I was Shatkins, I'd be thinking about following in their footsteps.

43 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Really? It seems the exact opposite to me. The trade with the Marlins, the signings of guys like Corey Koskie, Scott Downs, AJ Burnette, BJ Ryan, Frank Thomas...In fact, as a fan since '77, I can't recall the Jays ever tearing it down and attempting a rebuild.

Also, I think the Astros just proved that you can win without a huge payroll. If I was Shatkins, I'd be thinking about following in their footsteps.

None of those were really big signings, except for Burnette and Ryan, and that was I believe the same year Halladay told management he'll take a paycut, if you go out and sign some players so they could be competitive (ashamed it didn't work out). The "rebuilding stage" really started when they let Delgado, Green, Batista, Hentgen, etc walk for nothing and replace them with guys in the farm. Then, they had some mediocre seasons from 2000-2009, and finally going back to a "rebuilding phase" when they traded Halladay, Wells, and Hill. 

I know you like to bring up clubs like the Royals, Indians, and Astros winning the World Series, or going far......but these clubs sucked for many years finishing near the bottom of the league accumulating high draft picks, which turn into superstars. The Jays have been bad but not bad enough to get high draft picks. Their best draft picks were Romero, Hinske, and Rios all who had good early careers, but failed to live up to expectation beyond that. I would also argue that neither one of these team will do well in the AL East. I mean, the Astro barely beat the Yankees this post-season.

Edited by shiznak

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

None of those were really big signings, except for Burnette and Ryan, and that was I believe the same year Halladay told management he'll take a paycut, if you go out and sign some players so they could be competitive (ashamed it didn't work out). The "rebuilding stage" really started when they let Delgado, Green, Batista, Hentgen, etc walk for nothing and replace them with guys in the farm. Then, they had some mediocre seasons from 2000-2009, and finally going back to a "rebuilding phase" when they traded Halladay, Wells, and Hill. 

I know you like to bring up clubs like the Royals, Indians, and Astros winning the World Series, or going far......but these clubs sucked for many years finishing near the bottom of the league accumulating high draft picks, which turn into superstars. The Jays have been bad but not bad enough to get high draft picks. Their best draft picks were Romero, Hinske, and Rios all who had good early careers, but failed to live up to expectation beyond that. I would also argue that neither one of these team will do well in the AL East. I mean, the Astro barely beat the Yankees this post-season.

Hence my point. That's where I think the team should go. Shooting for respectability, (mediocrity) or just trying to be "competitive" is just a recipe for another 20+ years of being bridesmaids.

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hence my point. That's where I think the team should go. Shooting for respectability, (mediocrity) or just trying to be "competitive" is just a recipe for another 20+ years of being bridesmaids.

I think the other thing that people fail to realize is how many of our top picks have refused to sign with the Jays in the last 15 years. The only thing worse than drafting bad, is drafting good players who choose to re-enter the draft the following year rather than play for your organization. 

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree with Reggie. I think it's time to admit that the current incarnation of the Jays can't compete with the Yankees, Red Sox, Astros or Indians.

This is the time to deal Donaldson, Smoak and Stroman and try to add players that will be coming into their own around the time that Vlady Jr., Bichette and Teoscar do.

I’m not sure that’ll work though. The Red Sox and Yankees have such good young cores that they’ll dominate for the next 10 years and that’s not even considering when they add Harper, Trout, Kershaw, etc.  It’ll always be that way until baseball gets a hard cap or the teams are sold to cheaper owners. 

I think Rogers is trying to sell the Jays because they know how the next 15+ seasons are heading towards.