The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hence my point. That's where I think the team should go. Shooting for respectability, (mediocrity) or just trying to be "competitive" is just a recipe for another 20+ years of being bridesmaids.

That'd be a waste of Sanchez's, Osuna's, and  (if not traded) Stroman's career. Just like how they wasted Halladay's.

• Upvote 1

On 12/9/2017 at 4:57 PM, shiznak said:

It seem like the Jays have been rebuilding for like 22 years now, minus those two years in 2013 and 2015.

I've always said, you will never be able to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox, unless you're willing to spend money, not just on free agents, but improving your scouting and developmental program. It's too bad Rogers isn't invested enough to spend cash on the Jays.

Rogers are so uninvested that they don't even know if they want to keep the team. 

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

After that NY - Miami trade I'm all aboard team rebuild.

Part of my thinks a bit like that, but part me would like to see a healthy Jays lineup for 1 year and just see, especially if rumors turn out true and Yankees get Harper next year this is our last shot! 

Travis for instance his bat is so deadly but he's just so injury prone if he could stay healthy for 1 year the skies the limit with him imo. He's on his last life also imo if he gets hurt one more time especially anything with his knee he's done cut ties with him. Tulo, again if he could just find his old self for one season man would that be nice, I was already okay with cutting ties with him and letting Goins take over but so much for that now, hopefully Tulo comes back with something to prove and stay healthy. 

Smoak well now as I was one of his biggest haters I give him credit for finally putting together a good season, tailed a bit at the end but still he did his job, if he can repeat or even excel with a healthy lineup could go a far ways. JD I think deserves one more good shot at it, so another reason I'm in for 1 more shot at it. Morales well he ain't no EE but he can definitely fill some of the holes, so definitely helps with a healthy lineup. As for Marin tbh never really been a fan of his, but he's the best we have but would be okay with a trade dump some of that salary.

Wow this is going on longer then a thought so much to address lol. 

Outfield well Pillar obviously but not hitting in the top, more near the bottom he isn't a lead off hitter, it's been 2 years of trying it's not his thing. The corners I would like to see Pompey and Alford, but again Pompey with injuries it's hard to say I think he's on his last life as well but if he can stay healthy he would be great I think. Alfords been doing really well every year and sounds like he's doing really well in Mexico right now, so some nice young speed out there is better imo.

Pitching well could go on and on but I'd keep Stro, Happ, Sanchez (healthy), didn't want Estrada but we got him for 1 more year, and hopefully someone else who can throw upper 90's. Keep Biagini in the bullpen, would like a more Dominant closer to close out games need those wins, Osuna can't handle the pressure gets to him to much, move Osuna to the 8th, and get more middle relief guys.

Again this is all betting on a healthy lineup for once and filling some holes, there is 1 more chance I think!

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

Yankees in on Machado, Does it get any better?

In theory our lineup next year pending we give up prospects for Machado (not saying it will happen), and still stay under the luxury tax mark

Gardner

Judge

Bird

Stanton

Machado

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Gleyber Torres

That lineup would could literally break a 80 year old record for most runs scored in a season set by the 1931 NYY who scored 1087 in a season. 8 of the starting 9 would hit 20 bombs. Is baseball season here yet?

• Like 1

On 12/9/2017 at 9:20 PM, shiznak said:

That'd be a waste of Sanchez's, Osuna's, and  (if not traded) Stroman's career. Just like how they wasted Halladay's.

As opposed to where they are now? Do you think that the team has a legitimate shot at a playoff spot?

I'd argue that another predictable third, or fourth place finish in the AL East is just as much a "waste of their careers". If the goal is the World Series and you can't compete financially with the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, then the Houston model is the best bet, even if it does mean sucking for a few seasons.

If you just want to try and be competitive and knock on the playoff door year after year, then I'd go with your plan.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

Yankees in on Machado, Does it get any better?

In theory our lineup next year pending we give up prospects for Machado (not saying it will happen), and still stay under the luxury tax mark

Gardner

Judge

Bird

Stanton

Machado

Sanchez

Didi

Hicks

Gleyber Torres

That lineup would could literally break a 80 year old record for most runs scored in a season set by the 1931 NYY who scored 1087 in a season. 8 of the starting 9 would hit 20 bombs. Is baseball season here yet?

If ever there was an aptly named GM in sports, it's Brian Cashman.....

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As opposed to where they are now? Do you think that the team has a legitimate shot at a playoff spot?

I'd argue that another predictable third, or fourth place finish in the AL East is just as much a "waste of their careers". If the goal is the World Series and you can't compete financially with the likes of the Yankees, Red Sox and Dodgers, then the Houston model is the best bet, even if it does mean sucking for a few seasons.

If you just want to try and be competitive and knock on the playoff door year after year, then I'd go with your plan.

Yes, I believe they could be a playoff team if they add the right pieces in free agency and/or the trade market.

In my opinion, they still have a better or deeper starting rotation then both the Yankees and Red Sox, when healthy. They need a 5th starter, someone like a Sabathia or Lynn to fill out the rest of the rotation. I wouldn't change anything in the bullpen. I always believe you can find gems within the organization, maybe add a veteran arm like Hudson Street or Fernando Rodney as a cheap option to relief the workload off Osuna. 

In the lineup, they need a 3rd outfielder, a backup catcher and a utility guy off the bench. Ideally, I would want the Jays to go after Cain, but he'll be a hot commodity being the top outfielder in the market. If they don't want to go out and spend on a guy like Cain. Carlos Gonzalez would be good option, replacing Bautista's productions. 

2B - Travis

3B - Donaldson

LF - Gonzalez

1B - Smoak

DH - Morales

SS - Tulowitzki

C - Martin 

RF - Hernandez

CF - Pillar

Bench: Carrera/Pompey, Diaz, utility player, McGuire

Rotation: Stroman, Happ, Sanchez, Estrada, Sabathia/Lynn

Bullpen: Koehler, Tepera, Biagini, Leone, Barnes, Street/Rodney, Osuna, 

2 hours ago, shiznak said:

Yes, I believe they could be a playoff team if they add the right pieces in free agency and/or the trade market.

In my opinion, they still have a better or deeper starting rotation then both the Yankees and Red Sox, when healthy. They need a 5th starter, someone like a Sabathia or Lynn to fill out the rest of the rotation. I wouldn't change anything in the bullpen. I always believe you can find gems within the organization, maybe add a veteran arm like Hudson Street or Fernando Rodney as a cheap option to relief the workload off Osuna. 

In the lineup, they need a 3rd outfielder, a backup catcher and a utility guy off the bench. Ideally, I would want the Jays to go after Cain, but he'll be a hot commodity being the top outfielder in the market. If they don't want to go out and spend on a guy like Cain. Carlos Gonzalez would be good option, replacing Bautista's productions. 

2B - Travis

3B - Donaldson

LF - Gonzalez

1B - Smoak

DH - Morales

SS - Tulowitzki

C - Martin 

RF - Hernandez

CF - Pillar

I’d go hard after Cain and Cargo IMO. An outfield of Pillar - Cain - Gonzalez would be really nice. As for pitching, I too think we need to bring in a #2 guy behind Osuna to give him a night off every now and then. Not a Wade Davis type, but a solid #2 who can give you a good 15-30 games or so. 

14 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Love the optimism Shizzy, I just don't share it. Since it seems apparent to me that the Jays feel as you do, I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

I don't think I am. I expect something around .500, but we'll see next September.

Im with you Rup. Last year I feel like I was one of the biggest optimists in here but this year I just don't feel it. There's so many holes that need to be fixed. Imagine if we didn't have Tulo's 20M.

It seems like the Baltimore Orioles and Tampa Bay Rays are throwing in the flag with Machado/Britton/Archer/Longoria all on the market. On the bright side at least the Jays are showing everyone their a big market team and see themselves more of a comparable to Boston/NYY than Baltimore/TB.

Edited by Xbox

19 hours ago, shiznak said:

2B - Travis

3B - Donaldson

LF - Gonzalez

1B - Smoak

DH - Morales

SS - Tulowitzki

C - Martin 

RF - Hernandez

CF - Pillar

for that to be a playoff team

the pitching will need to be ultra stellar

cuz the offense is gonna be kinda meh

The Blue Jays seem like a team that is lost at the moment. Donaldson is obviously great, but it was foolish for them to let Encarnacion (who was the heart of the team) go but keep Bautista (who is so washed up). Sanchez (if he can avoid blisters, apparently) and Stroman are definite 1-2 starters, but everywhere else is lacking. Toronto was build offensive-heavy and for those disaster 10-9 games. They reek of a massive rebuild. 

Edited by zzbottom

4 hours ago, coastal.view said:

for that to be a playoff team

the pitching will need to be ultra stellar

cuz the offense is gonna be kinda meh

Couldn't be any worse than last year's offense, which sat in the bottom 5 in runs for. If Donaldson and Travis can stay healthy, and Gonzalez returns to his All-Star form. That lineup isn't too bad. You have 5 hitters, who are capable of hitting 20+ homeruns. 

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

We need a good GM. Anthopolous was not a good GM and neither is Atkins.

AA dumped Wells' contract without retaining salary, that alone is what I call a good GM. 

2 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Couldn't be any worse than last year's offense, which sat in the bottom 5 in runs for. If Donaldson and Travis can stay healthy, and Gonzalez returns to his All-Star form. That lineup isn't too bad. You have 5 hitters, who are capable of hitting 20+ homeruns.

i guess i missed it that last years team made the playoffs

musta slept through it

10 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

i guess i missed it that last years team made the playoffs

musta slept through it

What I meant was if they were even in the top 15 in runs last year, they'd be fighting for a wildcard spot. Of course injuries were a huge part of why they missed the playoffs. Martin, Travis, Tulowitzki, Pearce, and Donaldson all missed significant amount of games. That's 5 of your 9 regulars, out of the lineup.

Edited by shiznak