The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

20 minutes ago, Pears said:

Jays just stole Randal Grichuk. Wow. 

If Pham flops and grichuk puts it together, cards fans will bring out the pitch forks and torches to their gm's office. Good trade for the jays. Love the Grich.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Randal Grichuk = Colby Rasmus. Good outfielder, terrible bat.

They got him for potential... there’s an underlying stat that says he’s gonna kill it and I think he’s going to break out Donaldson style at the plate. 

And that stat is bat speed. Balls leaving his bat were 2nd only to Stanton. Other guys top 10 in that category include Miguel Cabrera, Donaldson, Cespedes, Trout and Goldschmitt. I think we’re going to see him break out this year. 

But I personally look forward to our outfield if it’s Granderson-Pillar-Grichuk that will even provide much improvement over last year. I don’t know if RG’s arm(rarely watch the NL) is as good as Joey Bats was... but one has to think that the speed difference may allow him to get to balls that JB couldn’t, therefor needing to make less big throws to 2nd.

51 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

They got him for potential... there’s an underlying stat that says he’s gonna kill it and I think he’s going to break out Donaldson style at the plate. 

And that stat is bat speed. Balls leaving his bat were 2nd only to Stanton. Other guys top 10 in that category include Miguel Cabrera, Donaldson, Cespedes, Trout and Goldschmitt. I think we’re going to see him break out this year. 

But I personally look forward to our outfield if it’s Granderson-Pillar-Grichuk that will even provide much improvement over last year. I don’t know if RG’s arm(rarely watch the NL) is as good as Joey Bats was... but one has to think that the speed difference may allow him to get to balls that JB couldn’t, therefor needing to make less big throws to 2nd.

That's what AA thought as well when they traded for Rasmus, potential. A lot of baseball scouts back then said Colby had all the tools to become a 5-tool player.

As a fan of the Cardinals, he doesn't have great disciple at the plate, much like Morales and Smoak. He goes for the big hits, rather than just putting the ball in play. Case in point, he only walked 26 times, in 412 plate appearences while striking out 133 times. 

I mean, for what they gave up, it isn't much, but I don't expect him to have one of those "breakout" years that will propel him into the superstar level.

On 2018-01-19 at 6:19 PM, shiznak said:

That's what AA thought as well when they traded for Rasmus, potential. A lot of baseball scouts back then said Colby had all the tools to become a 5-tool player.

As a fan of the Cardinals, he doesn't have great disciple at the plate, much like Morales and Smoak. He goes for the big hits, rather than just putting the ball in play. Case in point, he only walked 26 times, in 412 plate appearences while striking out 133 times. 

I mean, for what they gave up, it isn't much, but I don't expect him to have one of those "breakout" years that will propel him into the superstar level.

Yes that’s the bad thing the K/BB ratio. However Smoak showed much improved plate discipline and hopefully with Donaldson as a mentor and possibly some work on plate discipline hopefully Grichuk can improve too.  Another downfall is how bad Grichuk is vs offspeed stuff. 

The Rog is about the same as Busch stadium but the parks of the AL east seem smaller than the division RG just came from so I wouldn’t be surprised if he can improve to 30-40 dingers. All the while getting to balls that Jose couldn’t get to last year on defence.

At this point I see it as a fair trade for Leone as it’s true that Greene can hit 100 mph regularly but struggled in AA( a league known as favouring pitchers a lot). So he may never be an impact pitcher at AAA let alone the MLB. Moving Leone out also makes way for Carlos Ramirez and his minor league 0.00 Era to be in the jays bullpen. He had s 2.70 Era in his 12 mlb games last year.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37

Damn, it has to suck to be a Miami fan atm. Just a short while ago the team seemed like it was finally putting together a competitive team that could potentially compete and in a short span their future ace (Jose Fernandez) has passed away and they've traded away Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, Dee Gordon, Adeiny Hechavarria, and Cristian Yelich. 

21 hours ago, TheHitman said:

Damn, it has to suck to be a Miami fan atm. Just a short while ago the team seemed like it was finally putting together a competitive team that could potentially compete and in a short span their future ace (Jose Fernandez) has passed away and they've traded away Giancarlo Stanton, Marcell Ozuna, Dee Gordon, Adeiny Hechavarria, and Cristian Yelich. 

Related image

• Upvote 1