The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

• 2 weeks later...

I guess the new trend in the MLB is having NFL quarterbacks on your team or maybe it's a New York thing.... We all know about Tebow and his intentions to make the MLB, but this caught me by surprise had no idea about this player and his ties with the MLB, but don't expect a comeback like Tebow is doing.

Yankees acquire Seahawks QB Russell Wilson from Rangers

The New York Yankees acquired a superstar of a different variety on Wednesday when they traded future considerations to the Texas Rangers for the rights to Seattle Seahawksquarterback Russell Wilson, the Rangers announced, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.

"This is a unique opportunity for us to learn from an extraordinary athlete who has reached the pinnacle of his profession," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said in a statement. "After talking to a number of our players, there is a genuine excitement in having Russell join us for a short time in camp. We are all looking forward to gaining insight into how he leads teammates toward a common goal, prepares on a daily basis for the rigors of sport, and navigates the successes and failures of a season."

"While football is my passion and my livelihood, baseball remains a huge part of where I came from and who I am today. I've learned so much on the baseball field that translates to my game physically and mentally playing quarterback in the NFL. I thank the Rangers and their great fans for making me feel at home and a part of the family! While I embrace the chance to be a New York Yankee, I will forever be grateful to have been a part of a world-class organization like the Texas Rangers."

The 29-year-old does not intend to try and play both sports like Bo Jackson or Deion Sanders, according to an ESPN source, although he does want to continue with his ties to baseball, which could include spring training appearances.

'Wilson is expected to be in Major League camp in March. While he is in Tampa, Wilson will participate in pregame workouts with the club and watch games from the Yankees' dugout," the Yankees said in a statement.

Wilson was originally drafted by the Colorado Rockies in the fourth round of the 2010 draft and appeared in 93 games with the organization's minor-league affiliates before he was acquired by the Rangers in the Triple-A phase of the Rule 5 draft in 2013.

Wilson, who is one of the NFL's elite quarterbacks, hit .229/.354/.356 with five home runs and 26 RBIs during his time in the minors before helping lead the Seahawks to the Super Bowl XLVIII title in 2013.

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1481737

Blue Jays to retire Halladay's No. 32 on Opening Day

"Doc" is officially No. 32 forever in Toronto.

The Toronto Blue Jays announced Monday they will retire Roy Halladay's No. 32 before their Opening Day contest March 29 at Rogers Centre.

They will also wear a commemorative patch on their jerseys all season to honor the beloved pitcher, who died in a single-plane accident on Nov. 7, 2017 at age 40.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1484930

Always new there was something about Stroman I just didn't like, but he lost his arbitration case and isn't taking it well, a difference of 400K and seeing this post seems like the team isn't a fan of him either but he wasn't afraid to talk about it publicly, although the tweets have supposedly been removed someone caught it before. Read the 4th post he talks about his team and negative things said to him...

59 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Always new there was something about Stroman I just didn't like, but he lost his arbitration case and isn't taking it well, a difference of 400K and seeing this post seems like the team isn't a fan of him either but he wasn't afraid to talk about it publicly, although the tweets have supposedly been removed someone caught it before. Read the 4th post he talks about his team and negative things said to him...

Why I never like seeing players go to arbitration, especially over a small difference.  Even if the team wins, this kind of thing can happen, although it's not usually made public.  Given the lack of a salary cap in baseball, it's cheap as hell to bother even taking him to arbitration.

Edited by King Heffy

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I wouldn't worry about jading Stroman.  It's what fuels him.  He's got a fighting spirit so he'll inevitably turn everything into a fight.  Not out of disrespect but that's just how he has learned to get everything that has got him to the majors.  He uses the fuel of past injustices to drive him to be better.  So maybe, sometimes, he has to be a little creative with those injustices.  A content Stroman, I bet, would be a lousy pitcher, I'm sure the Jays have miffed him in the past that he has used as fuel so I'm not worried that this will cause I big rift.

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Why I never like seeing players go to arbitration, especially over a small difference.  Even if the team wins, this kind of thing can happen, although it's not usually made public.  Given the lack of a salary cap in baseball, it's cheap as hell to bother even taking him to arbitration.

How can he not be happy with 6.4M? That's 3M more then last year. Why does he need to go to $6.9M? Yes he had a good season last year, so a raise was due but until you see more consistency year after year I don't think he has an argument.

Considering this was from last year, and he won his arbitration case last year.

Stroman asked for a raise from $525,900 US to $3.4 million, and Toronto argued for a $3.1-million salary during a hearing Friday before arbitrators Steven Wolf, Jeanne Wood, James Oldham.

Jays wearing MSD hats, nice touch. Biagini and Maile the starting battery . Hernandez, Alford, and Grichuk in the outfield. Infield from left to right goes Ngoepe, Diaz, Solarte, and Tellez. Granderson the DH.

Grichuk makes a nice running catch on the warning track to start the game. It’ll be nice to see such a better athlete in RF this year, with all due respect to JB.