The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

9 minutes ago, camaro ss said:

The Jays gotta get out of this god dawn division to have a chance at anything. Or make a salary cap.

The league needs a salary cap in a bad way.  It will never happen though as the poorest teams seem to be able to survive somewhat financially.  Money can't buy everything but it can sure easily fill holes on a baseball team.

On 6/18/2018 at 5:10 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Yea I was aware of the luxury tax, it still doesn’t really seem to slow those teams down though. I basically see it as a chance for the mlb to capitalize off of the value of those franchises. It would be better to see them rework the divisions abit if they could.. but I’m not fully sure how to do that in a way that makes sense either. If we only had to fight one of Boston or NYY for a division title it would give us a fighting chance at a wildcard most years too. 

The other thing they could do is make the playoffs for 8 teams in each league and maybe shorten the season to 155 games or something and have the first 2 rounds as 5 game series. 

I remember watching a Doc on MLB several years ago and the reporter basically made the case that teams with their own TV deals (Yankees with YES and Red Sox with NESN) don't have to worry all that much about the luxury tax.

The example used was the Yankees and the reporter basically made the case that the increased revenue generated by big name signings (TV subscriptions, merchandising, etc) more than offset the actual cost of signing a big name FA. (I could be wrong, but I believe the case he was looking at was Mark Texeira)

Although the Jays have a similar deal with Rogers, it pales in comparison to what the Yankees, Bosox and Dodgers bring in with their TV contracts. It's always going to be tough to compete with their buying power.

That being said, both of the AL East frontrunners have gotten to where they are with drafting and player development. Guys like Betts, Judge, Benintendi and Austin are all home grown. It puts both teams in a position to sign one or two big name free agents to augment their lineups, instead of building the bulk of their teams through free agent signings. Stanton in NY and Martinez in Boston have both been good for their respective teams, but they're pieces of the puzzle, rather than the cornerstones of the franchises.

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I remember watching a Doc on MLB several years ago and the reporter basically made the case that teams with their own TV deals (Yankees with YES and Red Sox with NESN) don't have to worry all that much about the luxury tax.

The example used was the Yankees and the reporter basically made the case that the increased revenue generated by big name signings (TV subscriptions, merchandising, etc) more than offset the actual cost of signing a big name FA. (I could be wrong, but I believe the case he was looking at was Mark Texeira)

Although the Jays have a similar deal with Rogers, it pales in comparison to what the Yankees, Bosox and Dodgers bring in with their TV contracts. It's always going to be tough to compete with their buying power.

That being said, both of the AL East frontrunners have gotten to where they are with drafting and player development. Guys like Betts, Judge, Benintendi and Austin are all home grown. It puts both teams in a position to sign one or two big name free agents to augment their lineups, instead of building the bulk of their teams through free agent signings. Stanton in NY and Martinez in Boston have both been good for their respective teams, but they're pieces of the puzzle, rather than the cornerstones of the franchises.

Actually, if it weren't for their rich history with those clubs .... I would say the Jays' TV viewship would be as good as, even better, than the Yankees, Red Sox, and maybe Dodgers. The Jays have a whole nation across Canada tuning into one station bring in views, whereas those clubs, only have their own state/area watching.

On 2018-07-12 at 7:55 PM, Wilbur said:

The league needs a salary cap in a bad way.  It will never happen though as the poorest teams seem to be able to survive somewhat financially.  Money can't buy everything but it can sure easily fill holes on a baseball team.

The Jay's have close to the wealthiest owners in MLB. They are also close to the cheapest. Bo and Vlad hopefully will convince them to spend in the coming years. 

On 7/22/2018 at 5:59 AM, BoqvistOrBust said:

The Jay's have close to the wealthiest owners in MLB. They are also close to the cheapest. Bo and Vlad hopefully will convince them to spend in the coming years. 

I agree. But I also think there's no real reason to spend until those two (along with Gurriel, Hernanadez and maybe Grichuk) are the core of the team.

44 minutes ago, Pears said:

Happ to the Yanks official. Just waiting on the return. 

Edit: Brandon Drury and Billy McKinney is what the Jays are getting per Rosenthal. 

Jays got more for Oh.  A middling infielder and a meh outfield prospect.  I'd rather the Jays keep Happ for the rest of the season.

53 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jays got more for Oh.  A middling infielder and a meh outfield prospect.  I'd rather the Jays keep Happ for the rest of the season.

Drury is miles better than what we got for Oh. McKinney is an ok prospect too. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I'm glad we got something for him in a year this team isn't going anywhere, but we can always re-sign him in the off season if obviously no one else offers him something. But I'll agree I did also feel we got better prospects from the Oh trade then the Happ trade, Yankees didn't lose much that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I'm glad we got something for him in a year this team isn't going anywhere, but we can always re-sign him in the off season if obviously no one else offers him something. But I'll agree I did also feel we got better prospects from the Oh trade then the Happ trade, Yankees didn't lose much that's for sure.

Lord forbid that we trade for any young pitching prospects though... as our cupboards are completely stocked with those... 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Lord forbid that we trade for any young pitching prospects though... as our cupboards are completely stocked with those... 

Yeah they keep going after middle infielders and outfielders, seems they're stockpiling in that category and ignoring the pitching, doesn't look good for the future. I still don't know why they didn't try to keep Ryan Goins, he really showed last year some of his strengths imo at bat, his fielding was already good, he was sent down to Triple A this year and was hitting .330.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I'd have to assume there was nothing along those lines offered.

I'm more baffled with their lack of drafting pitching.  Maybe I'm just used to the polar opposite of AA.

• Upvote 1

I've recently boycotted the Jays, was a hard decision because I've loved them since '95. I don't like the new Cleveland asshat Shapiro at all. They lost me when they lost AA. Beeston leaving hurt a lot too, but that was understandable.

I don't think Shapiro has any notion of culture.

Another thing is letting Price walk. I realize he's not the playoff ace we really needed upon acquisition, but he was great in the regular season and you need those wins to just get to the show.

Very frustrated long time Jays fan who has given up for the time being. 

• Upvote 1