The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Not sure if anyone is watching the Jays - Chi-Sox tonight, but I'm re-iterating my statement of a couple of years ago that CB Bucknor is one of the worst umpires in baseball.

In this case, it's the Jays getting the benefit of most of the calls, but what really stands out to me is the strike zone. I have no idea how batters can tell what they should be swinging at...:unsure:

So.......it's been over a year since we've seen Tulo in a Jays uniform and it's most likely we won't be seeing him at all this year.

Luckily for the Jays, Morales contract is due in the summer. So next year Tulo can strictly be a DH while LGJ gets the bulk of the SS duty, because I can't imagine paying 20M a season for a utility guy off the bench.

Edited by shiznak

On 7/27/2018 at 5:09 PM, ReggieBush said:

Because the Yankees lineup was all "bought":sadno:

Bruh you literally bought Giancarlo Stanton and Aroldis Chapman lol. But yes the Yankees do have a good development system.

I called Cubs winning the WS at the beginning of the 2016 season and Houston at the beginning of 2017. I hope I'm wrong with this years prediction because I picked the Yankees.

Edited by Xbox

4 hours ago, Xbox said:

Bruh you literally bought Giancarlo Stanton and Aroldis Chapman lol. But yes the Yankees do have a good development system.

I called Cubs winning the WS at the beginning of the 2016 season and Houston at the beginning of 2017. I hope I'm wrong with this years prediction because I picked the Yankees.

Not too mention the super prospect they got for trading away a bought Chapman, just to buy him again.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Xbox said:

That 7 year contract on Gurriel Jr is looking pretty nice. Tied an AL record

I had made a post a while back, stating I wouldn't put him in any future roster plans until he started showing something.  It wasn't coming from impatience, I knew that for most there is a learning curve and Gurriel Jr was/is going through his.  You don't know if they'll overcome it until either it's clear they have or you eventually cut bait.  Looks like Gurriel is getting through his.

On 2018-07-28 at 4:21 AM, shiznak said:

So.......it's been over a year since we've seen Tulo in a Jays uniform and it's most likely we won't be seeing him at all this year.

Luckily for the Jays, Morales contract is due in the summer. So next year Tulo can strictly be a DH while LGJ gets the bulk of the SS duty, because I can't imagine paying 20M a season for a utility guy off the bench.

It’s unlikely anyone will take Tulo’s contract, so I’d be fine with having him as a full time DH who can fill in at SS for injuries. I think Gurriel is more suited at 2B and if Bichette and Vlad Jr are ready next year we could have a nice infield. 

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I had made a post a while back, stating I wouldn't put him in any future roster plans until he started showing something.  It wasn't coming from impatience, I knew that for most there is a learning curve and Gurriel Jr was/is going through his.  You don't know if they'll overcome it until either it's clear they have or you eventually cut bait.  Looks like Gurriel is getting through his.

I didn’t think he’d grow this fast tbh. Sucks that he got injured today.

2 hours ago, Pears said:

It’s unlikely anyone will take Tulo’s contract, so I’d be fine with having him as a full time DH who can fill in at SS for injuries. I think Gurriel is more suited at 2B and if Bichette and Vlad Jr are ready next year we could have a nice infield. 

Isn’t Morales signed through next season?

11 hours ago, Isam said:

True. Hey Reggie, what's the scouting report on drury? 

Never found his groove in NY then got hurt. Andujar and Torres came in an killed it, which kind of took the bat out of his hands. I think he is a good player, probably .270/20 HR/70 RBI in his prime with the ability to play solid defence at 2 and 3. The good thing for you guys is you have team control on him to see what his ceiling is.

10 hours ago, Xbox said:

The Marlins wanted to get rid of his contract, and he wanted to come to NY. We gave up assets and took that contract on.We have the money to pay him, why not use it? We traded for Chapman a couple years ago and then flipped him for a guy that is going to be a perennial Allstar. We then signed him in the offseason as a free agent, what is wrong with that?

We have a higher payroll than you yes, but only by about 15 million. We don't even have the highest payroll in the majors lol

Don't get upset because Brian Cashman knows how to run a team properly. The fact that he has been the GM for THE NY based team for as long as he has is frankly astonishing 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If that's so, then you'd imagine he would exercise that.  He's not going to get more on the open market.

Probably. But if management is smart, they’ll tell Morales he won’t be back next year. 

59 minutes ago, Pears said:

Probably. But if management is smart, they’ll tell Morales he won’t be back next year. 

He will still accept it just for the money. Kinda like Carmelo Anthony and OKC, Dwayne Wade and Chicago. 

I hope you’re right though because we need that DH spot open. I don’t know if I like the idea of having a DH-only player any more.

Edited by Xbox

1 hour ago, Xbox said:

He will still accept it just for the money. Kinda like Carmelo Anthony and OKC, Dwayne Wade and Chicago. 

I hope you’re right though because we need that DH spot open. I don’t know if I like the idea of having a DH-only player any more.

When this team becomes a contender again I wouldn't be against signing a legit power DH hitter if the team needs it, but personally I would be okay with Travis kind of sliding in and taking that role for the time being, or maybe a back and forth role with Diaz as long as they're still with the team, and maybe when Vlad Jr. turns 25 when imo this team needs to be ready to be contenders, maybe they will have a younger 2B by then not sure, but the next few years will be interesting to see what they do.

I'm not going to say that the tweets Sean Newcomb made were okay, but am I the only one that is pissed off that someone was douchey enough to go through over 5 years of tweets just to find something bad to ruin the reputation of a young pitcher who was having a career game? Of course the tweets are stupid and not okay, but people change over the years. I'd say a large group of current MLBers probably said something stupid or offensive in high school. This whole situation is showing the impact social media has on sports, the media seems to pounce on anything they find, and i'm guessing that some players have deleted a few tweets recently

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

When this team becomes a contender again I wouldn't be against signing a legit power DH hitter if the team needs it, but personally I would be okay with Travis kind of sliding in and taking that role for the time being, or maybe a back and forth role with Diaz as long as they're still with the team, and maybe when Vlad Jr. turns 25 when imo this team needs to be ready to be contenders, maybe they will have a younger 2B by then not sure, but the next few years will be interesting to see what they do.

Hopefully this is the final season for Morales. Having Travis's bat in the lineup as a DH sometimes and letting other regular players have a day off is a valuable thing.

• Upvote 1