The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Just to be clear, I'd rather keep Tulo as well. However, I believe that pitching is a priority for the Jays and I don't know if it can be solved through free agency alone. Also, (and this might just be me reading too much into things) I get the impression that although he enjoyed the postseason run, Tulo really doesn't want to be in Toronto. Call it a hunch, but when I watch interviews about the trade, he just doesn't seem to be over it.

In the playoffs, the Jays had three relievers that they trusted (after Cecil's injury) and in my mind, that's not nearly enough. If Sanchez is moved to the rotation, the problems become even more pronounced. (And I agree with you that such a move is likely)

As far as Price goes, i'd love to see him back but I honestly don't think it's going to happen. One of the big spending teams will throw number and term at him that Rogers can't, or won't match. Added to that, Mark Shapiro has a history of rounding out his pitching with less "name" guys, which is why I think AA will more likely take a run at Samardjia, Gallardo or Kazmir.

In regards to the pen, I agree that the FA list of lefties is a little thin. The guys I mentioned earlier would I think, be an upgrade on Loup, but not in the same class as Cecil. This is one of the reasons I think a trade might be in order.

We also have to bear in mind that the Jays will need to sign a backup catcher. Even though I think they'll pick up the option on Dickey, I don't believe they'll want to go with Thole as Martin's only backup. Ideally, I think they'd look at a veteran lefty like Pierzynski.

We're more or less on  the same page here. I'm not sure Tulo isn't happy in Toronto though. I think he's still dealing with the emotions of being traded to Canada of all places after spending his whole career in Colorado and growing up on the West Coast. It's a bit shocking for him but I'm sure he's happy to be contending again after toiling in mediocrity with Colorado for a while. 

I'm very curious to see how the Price situation plays out. Like you, I don't see the Jays shelling out top-of-the-line bucks for him but they do have the resources available. A few contracts off the books this year and owners with deep pockets may change things. Presumably Rogers has the money to extend AA's budget, and after seeing the success of the team and the thriving fanbase that comes with winning they may be more willing to pay up. If I had to bet on the topic I'd still say Price probably goes elsewhere but I don't consider it out of the realm of possibility for him to re-sign. A rotation of Gallardo/Stroman/Estrada (assuming they re-sign him and he has a  similar year to 2015) should get them into the postseason, but they definitely need to address the bullpen.

Their stars are getting older now too (JB turned 35 the other day) and their window is closing so Rogers may feel inclined to jump on their current opportunity and spend some money. 

Also, IMO Lowe wasn't properly utilized by the Jays. I felt they could have gotten more out of him despite a couple bad outings as a Jay. He was absolutely lights out with the M's and being with the Jays for a whole season could really help bolster the pen.

As great as Estrada has been for the team this year, the problem with re-signing him, is he probably will want Navarro as his personal catcher and personally I would rather spend the money elsewhere, like bolstering the bullpen.

All signs point to Price walking or the Jays won't be able to retain him. Which means the Jays will need two arms in the rotation next year, assuming they can't re-sign Estrada. Viable options in free agency are Jeff Samardzija and Kazmir to replace Price and Estrada. Kazmir has resurrect his career, since being traded to the Angels and has had a pretty solid season, at one point had a better ERA than Price. He will definitely come cheaper than Price, as well as other top pitchers on the open market. Samardzija has been on AA's radar for quite some time now. So,  I wouldn't be surprised, if he's at the top of AA's list on pitchers to go after. 

In the pen, they need to bring in another long-arm pitcher, as of right now Hendriks is the only reliable arm in that situation. A guy I would like to see AA bring back is Carlos Villanueva. He's been great for the Jays, a couple of years ago, and continued that success when he was let go. Mark Lowe should absolutely be re-sign, and Sanchez should be inserted back into the rotation. They would need a set-up man, if Sanchez is to be brought back into the rotation, and some cheap options are Jim Johnson or Joakim Soria.

In the outfield, Revere will be getting a substantial raise, which might not be worth re-signing him especially when the Jays have depth at that position. So I'd try and trade him for an true starting first basemen, preferably a left-handed one (*cough* Morneau *cough), and rotate Pompey and Carrera in LF.

Line-up:
2B: Travis
3B: Donaldson
RF: Bautista
1B: Morneau
DH: Encarnacion
SS: Tulowitzki
C: Martin
CF: Pillar
LF: Pompey

Bench: Carrera, Colabello, Goins, backup catcher

Starting Rotation:
Stroman
Kazmir
Samardzija
Sanchez
Hutchison

Bullpen: Loup, Villanueva, Lowe, Hendriks, Cecil, Soria/Johnson, Osuna

Edited by shiznak
  • Upvote 1

I think we are all aware that EE and especially JB are getting up there.  With there contracts both expiring soon, it would be sad, but those are fairly easy holes to fill (especially 1B) through free agency if needed.  Having a good hitting lefty to fit in or around the big righties would be nice but, this year, would require trading away one of their big righties most likely.  Something I don't see happening (I wouldn't trade Tulo and I believe EE has to approve any trades).  

Starting pitching will have to be the primary concern.  Assuming Price walks and Buerhle retires, that would leave no lefties in the rotation.  Finding arms to fill the top 5 rotation spots won't be too difficult but finding at least one good left-handed option could prove troublesome.

As for the pen, I'd keep Osuna as the closer.  He was pretty darn successful this year, to say the least, and bullpen arms can be so fickle, you can never know what you'll get through free agency.  If Sanchez stretches back out into the rotation I hope Lowe can be kept.  I'd be happy with a Cecil/Lowe combo as the 7/8 men.  Adding two more dependable arms, one right/one left, to Hendricks and Loup and that has the makings of a pretty good bullpen.

Something I found interesting was AA saying they still believe Osuna's future is in the rotation 

I guess he is just 20.  For me it would take a closer they know will be more dependable than Osuna.  I don't see that happening any time soon.  3/4 years from now you never know.

Osuna had tommy john a couple years ago and is still only 20 years old. I think a slow transition into a starters role is the way to go for Osuna. Maybe take Dickeys spot in the rotation for 2017. As for trading for starting pitching I don't think they'd trade an MVP calibre Donaldson who is only expected to make 12 million. Maybe in a couple of years on the tail end of his arbitration but right now it would make more sense to trade Tulowitzki or Encarnacion as I feel they would be easier to replace. I think trading Edwin this year for pitching and moving Tulowitzki in the following offseason makes the most sense.

I'm not so sure if Tulo is so easy to replace.  We all saw how different this team was defensively with Tulo over Reyes.  Yeah, Goins can provide the glove but Tulo is only going to get better with the bat in the AL.

EE, is a 10 and 5 player, so he has the right to vito any trade.  Could be tough to trade him.  I agree though, he probably makes the most sense of the bunch to trade and in a perfect world you can get a premier left handed 1B through free agency to replace him.

I think we are all aware that EE and especially JB are getting up there.  With there contracts both expiring soon, it would be sad, but those are fairly easy holes to fill (especially 1B) through free agency if needed.  Having a good hitting lefty to fit in or around the big righties would be nice but, this year, would require trading away one of their big righties most likely.  Something I don't see happening (I wouldn't trade Tulo and I believe EE has to approve any trades).  

Starting pitching will have to be the primary concern.  Assuming Price walks and Buerhle retires, that would leave no lefties in the rotation.  Finding arms to fill the top 5 rotation spots won't be too difficult but finding at least one good left-handed option could prove troublesome.

As for the pen, I'd keep Osuna as the closer.  He was pretty darn successful this year, to say the least, and bullpen arms can be so fickle, you can never know what you'll get through free agency.  If Sanchez stretches back out into the rotation I hope Lowe can be kept.  I'd be happy with a Cecil/Lowe combo as the 7/8 men.  Adding two more dependable arms, one right/one left, to Hendricks and Loup and that has the makings of a pretty good bullpen.

EE had sports hernia surgery yesterday..seems he had more wrong than  just his finger in the post season.

My prediction (also a bit of wishful thinking on the Price part)

We get Price back, a lot of credit due to Stroman campaigning to get him back. Apparently Price loves dairy queen and is grateful the closest one is right beside the arena LOL.

Bheurle retires

Dickey is let go

Estrada walks for a bigger pay day.

I don't see Estrada and Price being back, but hey stranger things have happened. With Dickey and Bheurle's off the book, the Jays free up 2 of the biggest contracts they have. If we get Price back, I don't see us making a big splash in FA.

Price and Donaldson's future contract are probably their top priorities.

Edited by Xbox

My prediction (also a bit of wishful thinking on the Price part)

We get Price back, a lot of credit due to Stroman campaigning to get him back

Bheurle retires

Dickey is let go

Estrada walks for a bigger pay day.

I don't see Estrada and Price being back, but hey stranger things have happened. With Dickey and Bheurle's off the book, the Jays free up 2 of the biggest contracts they have. If we get Price back, I don't see us making a big splash in FA.

Re-signing Price would be just about the biggest splash they could realistically make this offseason. Somebody above (can't remember who) made a good point about Estrada possibly wanting Navarro to be his catcher, something the Jays may not want to do. The other thing I worry about with Estrada is that he could end up being a bit of a one-hit wonder. I'm confident this won't be the case but it's definitely something in the back of my mind.

Re-signing Price would be just about the biggest splash they could realistically make this offseason. Somebody above (can't remember who) made a good point about Estrada possibly wanting Navarro to be his catcher, something the Jays may not want to do. The other thing I worry about with Estrada is that he could end up being a bit of a one-hit wonder. I'm confident this won't be the case but it's definitely something in the back of my mind.

Im scared of the same one year wonder thing. It's definitely something to consider. Also you're totally right about Navarro. The Jays are paying good money for Martin. If we lose those 4 (Estrada, Dickey, Navarro, Bheurle) and we retain Price, I'd be totally OK with that.

Im scared of the same one year wonder thing. It's definitely something to consider. Also you're totally right about Navarro. The Jays are paying good money for Martin. If we lose those 4 (Estrada, Dickey, Navarro, Bheurle) and we retain Price, I'd be totally OK with that.

I believe they'll be paying Martin 20 million or close to it next year so a cheaper backup would make sense.   Stroman healthy for opening day is a big addition to last year's staff as well. With that in mind, while I would prefer Rogers shell out money for Price et al, I wouldn't mind a keeping Estrada and signing a Gallardo or Samardzija to form a front end rotation with those 3. Assuming Estrada has another good year (numbers even close to this years would be awesome) that actually makes a pretty solid front of the rotation. 

• Upvote 1

Don't rule out Price coming back yet. Theres still a good chance we retain him.

Having Stroman back is huge, and maybe more important than we think. If we do re-sign Price, Stroman would have a lot to do with it. 

Edited by Xbox