The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Correction, a qualifying offer has to be 15.8 million.  Still, a lot of money for a guy coming off a career year.  Personally, as long as it's 1 year, he's totally worth qualifying at the very least.  If he accepts, can think of worse pitchers to spend 15.8 million on.

It's better than the Josh Johnson dilemma lol. Like somebody else said above I think he'll be looking for a multi-year deal to set himself up financially and I don't blame him.

With Buehrle's contract coming off the books, they should be able to at least keep Estrada

Shapiro gives me the creeps, he's got a mediocre resume and apparently his Dad's friends are the only reason he managed to land a GM job in the first pace...if that's the case, he should get along fine with that buffoon Ed Rogers.

Edited by Amish Rake Fighter
  • Upvote 3

With Buehrle's contract coming off the books, they should be able to at least keep Estrada

Shapiro gives me the creeps, he's got a mediocre resume and apparently his Dad's friends are the only reason he managed to land a GM job in the first pace...if that's the case, he should get along fine with that buffoon Ed Rogers.

Have to agree Amish..not off to a great start.

Such a bizarre/ill-advised time to go out and pull that hiring.  Clearly that is what ended AA's interest in remaining there - (I don't buy the idea that he wanted to get away, be with his family etc - I think that's just 'diplomacy' and avoiding stating the unsavory truth).

Unfortunately the Toronto part comes before the Blue Jays part.

Such a bizarre/ill-advised time to go out and pull that hiring.  Clearly that is what ended AA's interest in remaining there - (I don't buy the idea that he wanted to get away, be with his family etc - I think that's just 'diplomacy' and avoiding stating the unsavory truth).

Unfortunately the Toronto part comes before the Blue Jays part.

Beeston's end date had been set well in advance, I believe.  Pretty sure this was going to be his last season, no matter what.  Perhaps everything seems rushed since the Blue Jay season went a longer than everyone thought.

I still can't shake the feeling that the Blue Jays are only going to sign one pitcher of relevance (and Estrada could be the one and only) and then close the cheque book.

Hmmm, I guess they can always convert Chad Peddington into a reliever...

@TSN_Sports: Report: Price interested in Cubs; Jays covet Davis. MORE: https://t.co/kY2qG1rg6A https://t.co/bS227VqZsl 

wth would the Jays be interested in Davis? Please don't be true. Last thing we need is more firepower in the bats. And it would mean EE goes and we pay a bigger price on Davis, essentially a wash and messing up the team chemistry. Makes no sense. And Price to the Cubs makes a whole lot of sense.

...just please fix the pitching/arms.

@TSN_Sports: Report: Price interested in Cubs; Jays covet Davis. MORE: https://t.co/kY2qG1rg6A https://t.co/bS227VqZsl 

wth would the Jays be interested in Davis? Please don't be true. Last thing we need is more firepower in the bats. And it would mean EE goes and we pay a bigger price on Davis, essentially a wash and messing up the team chemistry. Makes no sense. And Price to the Cubs makes a whole lot of sense.

I hope it's not true, the money needs to be spent on pitching. Ultimately pitching wins championships.

My money is on Price going to Chicago btw

Agree, we had the best offense in the regular season why would we mess around with it? I'd rather resign Price and add another starting pitcher or fix the bullpen

Which way do you do that though? Sign high priced free agents but that is up to Rogers to open the pocket book. Trade a bat for a few young arms which is always a gamble. Make a 'baseball' trade (good hitter for good pitcher). Or draft well in the next two years and hope that 3-4 guys out of that group make the team aka wishful thinking.

It all depends what the new guy wants to do. Keep the current core together and try again with some new additions or go into semi-rebuild mode and kill all the momentum gained with this group. The former is my choice.

Which way do you do that though? Sign high priced free agents but that is up to Rogers to open the pocket book. Trade a bat for a few young arms which is always a gamble. Make a 'baseball' trade (good hitter for good pitcher). Or draft well in the next two years and hope that 3-4 guys out of that group make the team aka wishful thinking.

It all depends what the new guy wants to do. Keep the current core together and try again with some new additions or go into semi-rebuild mode and kill all the momentum gained with this group. The former is my choice.

I personally don't think they have a choice - I think they made that decision when they spent so many prospects to compete in the short run - and really, after the drought the franchise had experienced, it's hard to question that decision despite my personal tendency to believe that you shouldn't strip mine a franchise for a short term gamble.  This seemed like a reasonable exception all things considered - and now that the bed has been made, I think they need to keep the core and move forward - and the thing is, if they re-sign some key pieces and it doesn't work out, they then at least have those pieces to move to re-gain some of the assets they've moved to acquire them in the first place.  From my perspective, waffling down a middle road at this point would be the worst course of action. 

• Upvote 1

The Jays are in desperate need of a left handed power bat, which is why Lacava is interested in Davis. I'm not a big fan of Davis. He can give you runs, but like Smoak, he's a strikeout machine and he doesn't hit for average. I would rather sign Morneau for half the price of Davis, even with his injury history. 

I'd be surprised if we landed Davis but I have a feeling if we don't sign Price we're going after Davis which is odd.  So we'll have tons of fire power if we do sign Davis (Donaldson 3B, Bautista LF, EE DH, Davis 1B).

The only way this will make sense is if we trade Tulowitzki for a SP and some Bullpen pieces and put Goins and Travis at 2B and SS.  If that's the plan then we made all the right moves in my opinion (If we get Estrada back).

To add on, I hope we resign Lowe and there has been whispers that Osuna and Sanchez can start but that would empty out our bullpen, and Hutch could always find his way in our rotation too.

Is it normal for there to not be any signings on day 1?

I pretty sure MLB free angency is slow (I'm new to it), but right now to the 13th is just a resiging phase.

The Jays are in desperate need of a left handed power bat, which is why Lacava is interested in Davis. I'm not a big fan of Davis. He can give you runs, but like Smoak, he's a strikeout machine and he doesn't hit for average. I would rather sign Morneau for half the price of Davis, even with his injury history. 

Davis would be a better fit than Morneau, we're a powerhitting team and Davis meets that criteria, plus Davis is an all star he will bring many new fans to the ball park and will make Rogers money.  Just look at what David Price did.

Im just praying I dont see a "Price to NYY or BOS" signing. I'd cry. Hopefully we re-sign him or he goes to the NL. Cubs would be OK.

I have a Price Jays shirt, probably will get Martin next year. He's my favourite Jay.

Edited by Xbox

I was thinking about getting a Price shirt but figured it would better just to wait and see if Price re-signs first, otherwise it would've been  a waste of money if he didn't.  

Edited by Pears
Grammar

I was thinking about getting a Price shirt but figured it would better just to wait and see if Price re-signs first, otherwise it would've been  a waste of money if he didn't.  

I did it because I wanted to help support a re-signing. Not a big deal really. It was only around $35

Edited by Xbox

I pretty sure MLB free angency is slow (I'm new to it), but right now to the 13th is just a resiging phase.

Davis would be a better fit than Morneau, we're a powerhitting team and Davis meets that criteria, plus Davis is an all star he will bring many new fans to the ball park and will make Rogers money.  Just look at what David Price did.

The Jays need more player who can get on base and hit for average, not for power. If they could get Morneau for dirt cheap, it'll be well worth it, even with his concussion problems. Remember, he won the battling title just two season ago, albeit it was in a hitter's park.