The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

This may come across as an ignorant comment, but here it is: as much as I enjoyed watching Price pitch on TO from the deadline forward, he just didn't seem to have the kind of composure you would expect a true ace to have. His body language seemed off. Maybe that's just how he settles himself, but when things got tough he looked a little shaky. Couple that with a rough playoff record both this past postseason and overall and I'm not surprised his 200 mil demands are going elsewhere.

Preparing to get flamed in 3...2... 

I agree with you but I'm emotionally attached to him with the playoff run we did and how it turned our season around.  The attachment is wearing off too I would be much happier with Greinke than Price.

My predictions for the off season are is that Estrada will decline our offer looking for a longer contract (good chance he will accept it) and we'll offer him a 3 yr 30m contract which he accepts.  If we sign Greinke than the team pretty much stays as it is.  If we do not sign Greinke we will sign Chris Davis and trade Tulowitzki and Colabello for a SP and RP.  We also may sign some bullpen pieces and a 5th or 4th string pitcher.

I think our rotation will be Greinke/Stroman/Estrada/Dickey/FA Signing

Too bad Joakim Soria is a RHD reliever (just because the jays could use another lefty). He looks fully recovered from TJS and would be a great fall back option if the Jays want Osuna in a different role.

With the departure of Lowe, the Jays are going to need rightys as well. I'd be all for taking a flyer on Soria.

As great as Greinke would be, I'd still prefer to pursue a couple of starters, while spending the same amount of money. Samardjia, Gallardo, Kazmir, Colby Lewis....heck, even J.A. Happ had a solid (but shortened) season with the Bucs last year. I think there are enough starters available to shore up the rotation without spending huge on an ace.

With the departure of Lowe, the Jays are going to need rightys as well. I'd be all for taking a flyer on Soria.

As great as Greinke would be, I'd still prefer to pursue a couple of starters, while spending the same amount of money. Samardjia, Gallardo, Kazmir, Colby Lewis....heck, even J.A. Happ had a solid (but shortened) season with the Bucs last year. I think there are enough starters available to shore up the rotation without spending huge on an ace.

Right, but aces can steal playoff series.  CAN.  Sometimes they're just average.

Antonio Bastardo is the only decent left-handed reliever on the market. IMO, the Jays' first priority should be bolstering their bullpen rather than trying to find starting pitching, because there isn't many quality relievers available. 

Stroman, Estrada, Dickey guaranteed locks for starting pitchers. Sanchez is almost a given. That gives us 4 starters. Osuna, doubt he goes into a starting role and the Jays bank on him to make it. Hutchinson could use time in the minors or bullpen, would not trust him being a starter.

Pretty much leaves us with a spot to fill via FA. Jays better get a good starter at the least. Don't want some cheapass option that's a long shot to have success. And then the bullpen, that needs some renovating as well.

with it only being a 2 year deal he'd have to be really bad for this to be a dud 

I agree. Depending on what the salary is going to be, this looks like a really good deal by Lacava. If Marco's numbers fall off, the Jays won't be tied to him for years like they were with Romero. If he pitches well, then it will show that he's trending up, rather than being a one hit wonder and management can start talking about a longer term deal.

Stroman, Estrada, Dickey guaranteed locks for starting pitchers. Sanchez is almost a given. That gives us 4 starters. Osuna, doubt he goes into a starting role and the Jays bank on him to make it. Hutchinson could use time in the minors or bullpen, would not trust him being a starter.

Pretty much leaves us with a spot to fill via FA. Jays better get a good starter at the least. Don't want some cheapass option that's a long shot to have success. And then the bullpen, that needs some renovating as well.

Depending on whether they are able to land a couple of rotation arms, the Jays might have to give Hutch a shot at being the #5 guy. It's hard to fathom, but he was actually their opening day starter last season and looked very good that day against the Yanks.

In 9 starts with Martin, Estarda had an ERA over 4.00.

Fans are going to expect better numbers, if he's their number 2.

I believe the Jays will be looking at bringing in a veteran backup again this year. Thole is a nice option to have, especially when RA is on the bump, but he barely hits his weight and I doubt that they want him as their only option,especially if Martin has any injury problems.

Looking at who's available as a FA, AJ Pierzynski makes a lot of sense....

I believe the Jays will be looking at bringing in a veteran backup again this year. Thole is a nice option to have, especially when RA is on the bump, but he barely hits his weight and I doubt that they want him as their only option,especially if Martin has any injury problems.

Looking at who's available as a FA, AJ Pierzynski makes a lot of sense....

To bad Navarro is leaving...he was a nice option but Im sure he wants to be a starter...what about Pentacost...if he has a good spring he could be in the mix...or is he to green.

To bad Navarro is leaving...he was a nice option but Im sure he wants to be a starter...what about Pentacost...if he has a good spring he could be in the mix...or is he to green.

It is, but he was a luxury, one that the Jays can no longer afford with the rotation and bullpen needing some serious attention.

Pentacost had shoulder surgery last February and I doubt that he'll be ready for the big club this season. If all goes well, I'd expect him to be a September call-up. That being the case, I think the Jays will need an experienced backup, not named Thole.

@TSN_Sports: MLB Rumour Mill: Estrada close to signing two-year, $26M contract & more: https://t.co/u9lq3xYEkZ https://t.co/AO3HouZraW

If that's what it turns out to be, that is an incredible deal for both sides. No way to criticize that.

I agree. If this turns out to be the case, it's a low-risk deal that both sides should be happy with. Hats off to Lacava.

Edited by RUPERTKBD