The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

5 minutes ago, Lil B From The Pack said:

I was kinda right tbh. Good to see that Hanshin got a token white back to replace Matt Murton.

Very good addition indeed.

Say, hope you had enough to get on the bus that night. I bet the free slurpee coupon gave him no choice other than to. 

...n bruh, WWF in ya house..pls

Just read a report on the score about Price and how the Jays are basically last choice for Price. Don't get me wrong there are teams who want him, and are willing to pay big bucks to acquire him, more then what the jays are willing to. I just feel he enjoyed it here way to much last year, the fans really made an impression on him and I think he wants to experience that again. 

If the Jays offer him a decent contract that's in his range, even if other teams offer him more money I think he will prefer to be a Jay. 

It doesn't matter if Price want to stay as a Jays. It all comes down to if Rogers wants to pay he man, which most likely they won't.  Honestly, if the Jays offer him a reasonable offer, say a contract similar to the one Verlander signed (7yrs/180M), I think he'll take that deal, even though it might not be the best offer.

If the jays are indeed "far and away" Price's first option to sign with, and they fail to pony up even the discounted amount he'd ask for, I'd have to find and physically punt everyone involved in the decision to let him walk away. 

If the Cubs have backed out because they can't keep up in the race money wise, what makes anyone think the cheap Jays will pony up and retain Price? 

99% certain he's a goner. Thank Rogers. Satisfied with the profits pocketed the past season. Stubborn and unwilling to reinvest back which will only lead to bigger profit. Some type of stupid they are.

34 minutes ago, TheRussianRocket. said:

If the Cubs have backed out because they can't keep up in the race money wise, what makes anyone think the cheap Jays will pony up and retain Price? 

99% certain he's a goner. Thank Rogers. Satisfied with the profits pocketed the past season. Stubborn and unwilling to reinvest back which will only lead to bigger profit. Some type of stupid they are.

I'd still put it at 50/50. Not every athlete wants as much money as they can get. 125 Million or 250 Million would set you for life. 

I read even Josh Donaldson doesn't really care about his salary. He even said he's just grateful he can see a comma in the paycheque he gets for doing what he loves and that he wants to retire in Toronto.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I wouldn't count the Jays out. I'd actually put them at the top right now. He wants top $$$ from other clubs, but willing to negotiate with the team he wants to play for. The sportsnet article I linked says the opposite, but I honestly dont think it's that valid due to the outdated video. I think someone just slapped a new date on an old article.

Edited by Xbox

6 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I'd still put it at 50/50. Not every athlete wants as much money as they can get. 125 Million or 250 Million would set you for life. 

I read even Josh Donaldson doesn't really care about his salary. He even said he's just grateful he can see a comma in the paycheque he gets for doing what he loves and that he wants to retire in Toronto.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I wouldn't count the Jays out. I'd actually put them at the top right now. He wants top $$$ from other clubs, but willing to negotiate with the team he wants to play for. The sportsnet article I linked says the opposite, but I honestly dont think it's that valid due to the outdated video. I think someone just slapped a new date on an old article.

Really going to make Robbers look bad if they won't pay up.

I still don't see why Rogers won't allow the Jays to offer the contract, he will be traded eventually probably after a couple years. Pay his salary for a couple years then trade him, use him to help this team win a world series now, I don't see any bad investment in this option.

Plus they can get something in return for him as well, then letting him walk now.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I still don't see why Rogers won't allow the Jays to offer the contract, he will be traded eventually probably after a couple years. Pay his salary for a couple years then trade him, use him to help this team win a world series now, I don't see any bad investment in this option.

Plus they can get something in return for him as well, then letting him walk now.

I would imagine Price will want a NTC to go with that contract. I think he's tired of bouncing from team to team, every other year and wants to settle on a team for the rest of his playing career.

The best option would be to backload the contract, so Rogers isn't paying him 30M a year at least for the first few seasons. They could then generate some big revenues from playoffs (hopefully), sellouts over the course of the entire season, and merchs sales. When Bautista's, Edwin's, and Dickey's salaries are off the book, then they could afford to pay him the big salary.

Edited by shiznak

On 11/25/2015, 5:22:33, g_bassi13 said:

If the jays are indeed "far and away" Price's first option to sign with, and they fail to pony up even the discounted amount he'd ask for, I'd have to find and physically punt everyone involved in the decision to let him walk away. 

Over the past few weeks I've heard conflicting reports on what Price wants. When the Cubbies "dropped out", we started hearing things like "the Jays are a much bigger player that you think" and that "Toronto is Price's preferred team", (paraphrasing) then a week later, we have Ken Rosenthal throwing cold water on the ideas, stating that the Jays "are not expected to be a major factor"...

Honestly, I doubt that any of these "reporters" knows anything for sure and I think a lot of the speculation has to do with the fact that Toronto doesn't have the budget to match those of teams like the Red Sox and Dodgers.

Personally, I think the Jays did get a leg up, thanks to the playoff run, but I believe that it is only a minor advantage. Money will always be a huge factor and I think in the case of older pitchers like Price and Greinke, term will also be huge. These guys are going to want to set themselves up for the rest of their careers. I too would not be surprised to see some sort of No Trade clause in any deal for DP.

With all of those things in mind and considering that there will be new deals required for Bautista, Encarnacion and Donaldson in the not-too-distant future, I would still prefer to spend the money on a couple of second tier starters, like Gallardo, Zimmerman, Samardzija, or Mike Leake.

• Upvote 1