The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Very Disappointing ending, the last 2 years this team was made to make it to the world series and they choked (Gibbons should be gone). I feel like the window is much smaller now as the years go on, unless some big things happen. If EE stays that will sure help, but if he isn't here next year Jays need to get Votto 100%, or they're screwed, Smoak is not the answer at 1st.

If JB is gone, and it's sure looking like that unless he accepts his qualifying offer, but I doubt he does. What the Jays need to do is get a LEGIT leadoff batter, they need that speed on the bases to play with the pitchers mind when he's facing a Donaldson or EE. Hopefully Dicky and Thole are gone for good and Jays need to spend money on a dominate starting pitcher, and a couple relief pitchers. 

If they make these moves they can continue to be a top team in the league, if they don't then I don't see much for being a top team in the league anymore that's for sure. 

45 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Very Disappointing ending, the last 2 years this team was made to make it to the world series and they choked (Gibbons should be gone). I feel like the window is much smaller now as the years go on, unless some big things happen. If EE stays that will sure help, but if he isn't here next year Jays need to get Votto 100%, or they're screwed, Smoak is not the answer at 1st.

If JB is gone, and it's sure looking like that unless he accepts his qualifying offer, but I doubt he does. What the Jays need to do is get a LEGIT leadoff batter, they need that speed on the bases to play with the pitchers mind when he's facing a Donaldson or EE. Hopefully Dicky and Thole are gone for good and Jays need to spend money on a dominate starting pitcher, and a couple relief pitchers. 

If they make these moves they can continue to be a top team in the league, if they don't then I don't see much for being a top team in the league anymore that's for sure. 

I wonder if they had kept Revere would it have helped..solid leadoff guy who hits for average and can steal...they wouldnt have to have traded for Upton which I thought was dumb anyway....hindsight is 50-50 I guess.

Yeah, I think they need some sort of coaching staff shakeup. Whether it's Gibby or the hitting coach (Jacoby?) I think something needs to change. 

As for the Votto suggestions- do you really want that contract? You'd be paying s ton of money for either him or EE to be nothing more than a DH too.

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I agree with everything but the starting pitching. They were tops in the AL in ERA for a reason, so I wouldn't want to mess with that, unless there's a clear upgrade available. 

I'd really like to see Shapiro/Rogers be aggressive this winter, as there's still some holes in this line up, even if we manage to keep Edwin. For a lead off guy, if we want to go big someone like Cespedes would be perfect, but if we can't afford him/he isn't interested in coming to Toronto, Fowler would be the next best guy. Also if we have an opportunity to get Votto, and the price isn't too too much, I'd say go for it. 

The bullpen, as good as it was down the stretch, still needs improvement. We'll probably end up losing one of Benoit and Grilli, and we have, have to let go of Loup/Tepera. They blew too many games and were a reason we lost the division lead. There's a few decent guys out there like Hochevar and Logan, but if we really want to improve it, go for Chapman or Jansen. 

We're still gonna be good next year, but there will definetly be some changes. 

Need a proper lead off hitter. Would like a left handed power hitting first baseman just incase EE doesn't resign. Improve the bullpen. Anyway we get Grilli or Benoit back, I'm all for it, both did great for us.

1.(OF) Lead off hitter from free agency/Carrera

2. (3B)Donaldson

3. New first baseman/Edwin(if he resigns)

4. (DH) EE/New first baseman

5. (SS) Tulowitzki

6.( OF) Upton

7. (C) Martin

8. (2B) Travis

9. (OF) Pillar

SP: Estrada, Sanchez, Happ, Stroman, Liriano. 

BP: Grilli, Benoit, Cecil, Tepera, Biagini, Osuna. Sign a long man and a lefty.

Bench: Goins, Pompey, Smoak, back up catcher.

I know there's 26 players but it would be 25 if Edwin doesn't resign, so I only have 26 because of him.

Two names I would go after in the off-season, are Dexter Fowler and Mark Melancon. Fowler can hit lead off, and Melancon gives you the option of transitioning Osuna into the starting rotation. Re-sign Edwin, Cecil, Benoit, and depending on the money Saunders. Pick up the option on Grilli and call it an off-season.

RF - Fowler

2B - Travis

3B - Donaldson

1B/DH - Encarnacion

SS - Tulowitzki

DH - Saunders

C - Martin

LF - Carrera

CF - Pillar 

Bench - Navarro, Barney, Smoak, Upton

Rotation - Estrada, Happ, Sanchez, Stroman, Liriano

Bullpen - (Long-man), Benoit, Grilli, Bigiani, Cecil, Melancon, Osuna

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, ShakyWalton said:

I wonder if they had kept Revere would it have helped..solid leadoff guy who hits for average and can steal...they wouldnt have to have traded for Upton which I thought was dumb anyway....hindsight is 50-50 I guess.

I don't think it's hindsight at all, Shaky. IIRC, there were several of us (almost universal, actually) that didn't like the Revere trade when it happened.

I also agree with Shiznak. In fact I have already stated that I would like to see the team pursue a true leadoff hitter and have Travis hit in the #2 slot. The Jays' production is going to take a hit next season, but the starting pitching should be excellent again. With a lead off guy and a couple of reliable bull pen arms I think the team can be successful.

However, It will take a change in philosophy to make it happen. Players are going to have to do more situational hitting... Take the ball the other way more.... sacrifice...hit and run. In general there will have to be less reliance on the long ball and more reliance on manufacturing runs.

As Chuck said, it was a disappointing end to the season, but once again, the team played meaningful baseball into October, so my glass is half full.

I'm pretty sure Bats, Saunders and Edwing will be gone, which is a bit sad, but I also think with such a weak FA crop, Edwing will get too much money from Boston, New York or Los Angeles. It'll be tough, but I'm ready to move on there.

Bats, OTOH didn't help his free agency status this postseason. Not with his bat, or his mouth. (You could argue about the glove as well. The Napoli double would have been caught by a lot of outfielders) I'm not sure where he ends up, but since he's looking more and more like a DH the rest of the way, I'm sure we'll see him quite often.

Edited by RUPERTKBD

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think it's hindsight at all, Shaky. IIRC, there were several of us (almost universal, actually) that didn't like the Revere trade when it happened.

I also agree with Shiznak. In fact I have already stated that I would like to see the team pursue a true leadoff hitter and have Travis hit in the #2 slot. The Jays' production is going to take a hit next season, but the starting pitching should be excellent again. With a lead off guy and a couple of reliable bull pen arms I think the team can be successful.

However, It will take a change in philosophy to make it happen. Players are going to have to do more situational hitting... Take the ball the other way more.... sacrifice...hit and run. In general there will have to be less reliance on the long ball and more reliance on manufacturing runs.

As Chuck said, it was a disappointing end to the season, but once again, the team played meaningful baseball into October, so my glass is half full.

I'm pretty sure Bats, Saunders and Edwing will be gone, which is a bit sad, but I also think with such a weak FA crop, Edwing will get too much money from Boston, New York or Los Angeles. It'll be tough, but I'm ready to move on there.

Bats, OTOH didn't help his free agency status this postseason. Not with his bat, or his mouth. (You could argue about the glove as well. The Napoli double would have been caught by a lot of outfielders) I'm not sure where he ends up, but since he's looking more and more like a DH the rest of the way, I'm sure we'll see him quite often.

Russell Martin C 33 9.15 5 yr $82,000,000 $16,400,000 2020
Melvin Upton LF 32 9.126 5 yr $72,500,000 $14,500,000 2018
Jose Bautista RF 36 10.165 5 yr $65,000,000 $13,000,000 2017
Francisco Liriano SP 32 9.104 3 yr $39,000,000 $13,000,000 2018
J.A. Happ SP 34 7.047 3 yr $36,000,000 $12,000,000 2019
Scott Feldman RP 33 9.091 3 yr $30,000,000 $10,000,000 2017
Edwin Encarnacion DH 33 10.085 3 yr $29,000,000 $9,666,667 2017
Josh Donaldson 3B 30 3.158 2 yr $28,650,000 $14,325,000 2019
Marco Estrada SP 33 6.065 2 yr $26,000,000 $13,000,000 2018
R.A. Dickey RP 41 10.007 2 yr $25,000,000 $12,500,000 2017
Joaquin Benoit RP 39 13.04 2 yr $15,500,000 $7,750,000 2017
Justin Smoak 1B 29 5.077 2 yr $8,500,000 $4,250,000 2020
Jason Grilli RP 39 9.016 2 yr $8,000,000 $4,000,000 2017
Dioner Navarro C 32 9.091 1 yr $4,000,000 $4,000,000 2017
Brett Cecil RP 30 5.152 1 yr $3,800,000 $3,800,000 2017
Michael Saunders LF 29 5.138 1 yr $2,900,000 $2,900,000 2017
Darwin Barney SS 30 4.085 1 yr $1,050,000 $1,050,000 2017
Aaron Loup RP 28 3.183 1 yr $1,050,000 $1,050,000 2019
Gavin Floyd RP 33 9.045 1 yr $1,000,000 $1,000,000 2017
Ezequiel Carrera CF 29 2.039 1 yr $521,800 $521,800 2020
Kevin Pillar CF 27 1.113 1 yr $521,100 $521,100 2021
Ryan Goins 2B 28 1.116 1 yr $520,200 $520,200 2021
Aaron Sanchez SP 24 1.069 1 yr $517,800 $517,800 2021
Roberto Osuna RP 21 1 1 yr $516,100 $516,100 2021
Marcus Stroman SP 25 1.147 1 yr $515,900 $515,900 2021
Bo Schultz RP 31 .146 1 yr $513,300 $513,300 2022
Ryan Tepera RP 28 .109 1 yr $512,200 $512,200 2022
Devon Travis 2B 25 1 1 yr $511,200 $511,200 2021
Josh Thole C 29 4.165 1 yr $507,500 $507,500 2017
Dalton Pompey CF 23 .088 1 yr $507,500 $507,500 2022
Darrell Ceciliani CF 26 .076 1 yr $507,500 $507,500 2022
Joseph Biagini RP 26   1 yr $507,500 $507,500 -
Andy Burns 3B 26   1 yr $507,500 $507,500 -
Danny Barnes RP 26   1 yr $507,500 $507,500 -
Matt Dermody RP 26   1 yr $507,500 $507,500 -
I dont understand how Pillar and Carrera are on one year contracts but signed through 2020 and 2021...Pillar will be asking for aloot more the a little over 500 thousand a year.          

-

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Two names I would go after in the off-season, are Dexter Fowler and Mark Melancon. Fowler can hit lead off, and Melancon gives you the option of transitioning Osuna into the starting rotation. Re-sign Edwin, Cecil, Benoit, and depending on the money Saunders. Pick up the option on Grilli and call it an off-season.

RF - Fowler

2B - Travis

3B - Donaldson

1B/DH - Encarnacion

SS - Tulowitzki

DH - Saunders

C - Martin

LF - Carrera

CF - Pillar 

Bench - Navarro, Barney, Smoak, Upton

Rotation - Estrada, Happ, Sanchez, Stroman, Liriano

Bullpen - (Long-man), Benoit, Grilli, Bigiani, Cecil, Melancon, Osuna

There's a lot I agree with there, but I'm still in no rush to see Osuna in the rotation, especially this year.  Bullpen arms can be so unpredictable you can never have enough of them.  Just look at the last two teams to eliminate the Jays, both KC and Cleveland effectively had two closers.

Edit:  Oh, and +1 for being fairly realistic.  I've seen a few Trout proposals on other sites :blink:

Edited by Wilbur

Well it was a pretty good year despite the finish and unexplainable slumps. This off season I'd like to see us add a couple fielders who can hit. I would ultimately like to see revere back because of his solid defence and hitting numbers that are usually around 300...he runs up opposing pitch counts...something that was sorely missed in the lead off spot.  That would mean Saunders gone which would be good considering his all or nothing approach.

I'd like to see Upton in a full year at centre field meaning Pillar gone and his brutal batting(maybe a revere for him trade or traded for bullpen help. I'd like to see carerra as a #4 fielder. Bautista has to go so we need a right fielder....is Pompey ready? If not we need a guy who can hit to both sides, plays solid D and can put up 15-20 dingers.

The infield is pretty solid, but I'd like to see smoak less and have a first baseman that can be patient in their approach or speedy. EE has to be re-signed. I'd also like us to aquired a solid utility guy that can play 3rd & short to give Tulo/JD 15-20 games of rest each.

I'd also like to see a rotation of:

Sanchez

Happ

Stroman

Lariano

(aquired a solid 5th pitcher)

Estrada moved to the pen for long relief/spot starts/insurance in case of injury. 

For the bullpen we need to add 3 solid arms(one might include Estrada) we need a solid lefty. And a fireball righty. Too add to Cecil, Biagini, Grilli and Osuna. 

That means;

Loup

Feldman

Tepera and maybe 

Benoit out. 

Wouldn't mind Navarro back but if we give Pentecost a look at back up catcher it maybe good. If not I'd like to see a catcher with solid defence, better speed than Navarro and can put the ball in play or do situational hitting for 30-40 games. 

I think we need a new batting coach as well and need to revamp defensive play... we can't be giving up stolen bases by playing the shift in close games. 

As good as this season ended up overall... there's a lot of work to be done this off season. 

So to summerize our opening day lineup should look like this;

Revere         Upton         ?

JD  Tulo  Travis    ?

Sanchez

Martin

DH:

EE/ new guy(depending on if EE is @ 1st)

bench;

carerra

pompey?

Navarro/Pentecost

Smoak

?

bullpen;

Estrada

Biagini

Cecil

Schultz

?

?

Osuna

remaining rotation

2) Happ

3) Stroman

4) Lariano

5)?

comments? Concerns with that lineup...

i love pillar but hes a rally killer.. same could be said with Saunders.

absolutely have to go;

Loup, Feldman, Bautista, Dickey and Thole.

on the fence;

Pillar

navarro

Barney

Smoak

Tepera

Estrada(can't hit more than 92mph...gives up homeruns to easy if off his game)