The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

1 hour ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Blue Jays' Pompey shut down with concussion

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins delivered some lousy news Thursday, telling reporters that outfielder Dalton Pompey - vying for a spot on the active roster this spring - has been shut down due to a concussion sustained last week at the World Baseball Classic, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.

Pompey, who missed about three weeks in 2016 after suffering a concussion while playing for Triple-A Buffalo, was put through Major League Baseball's concussion protocol after exiting Team Canada's first-round loss to Colombia on Saturday with mild dizziness - the result of a wonky headfirst slide into second base. He'll have to clear the protocol before he can return.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1256326

That's so sad, He had a good chance to start at LF for us :(

2 minutes ago, Xbox said:

It's horrible news, been really following him because of you, and he really did stand out he's got a lot of skills in his game, would of been happy with him starting LF. His speed is impressive and the fact he said he likes to bunt, he seems to play the outfield well especially for Canada looked good in CF. Hopefully he recovers well and quick and can bounce back.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It's horrible news, been really following him because of you, and he really did stand out he's got a lot of skills in his game, would of been happy with him starting LF. His speed is impressive and the fact he said he likes to bunt, he seems to play the outfield well especially for Canada looked good in CF. Hopefully he recovers well and quick and can bounce back.

I hope so too. This team is better with Pearce at 1B and Smoak not in the lineup. At least Goins hit a triple today.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I remember a Blue Jay, John Olerud, wearing his batting helmet while running bases.  Maybe Pompey should consider wearing his, and not sliding head first?

28 minutes ago, Xbox said:

I hope so too. This team is better with Pearce at 1B and Smoak not in the lineup. At least Goins hit a triple today.

If this team really wants to win, then Smoak not playing is the best for that to happen, Pearce has to become the 1B. For crying out loud Tim Tebow did and has done better then Smoak in his first 5 games. 

Tim Tebow - 5 games 3-14(.214) with 4 strikeouts.

Smoak - first 5 games 2-15(.133) with 7 strikeouts. 

Even more shocking for Smoak now after 10 games 4-26(.154) 10 strikeouts he's played double the amount of games as Tebow and has 1 more hit... Pathetic.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This is just Boras trying to make his statement to the Jays basically, that it's going to cost them big money coming up if they want to keep Sanchez. It sucks but we kind of knew it was coming after Sanchez got Boras as his agent, Boras's record speaks for itself. 

Sanchez knows and I know the Jays will try and offer him the lowest or maybe they will just pull a Price and not even offer him anything.... Anyways as mentioned this is just the start, more will happen throughout the year as a scare tactic that Boras will try and use towards the Jays.

Speaking of relationships, after Sanchez hired Boras that's when the bro love of Sanchez and Stroman split up, I guess Stro feels he is going for greed, but Sanchez is just playing his cards right imo.

i agree with this

the contract end of things is just business

every team has its own business models

as do agents

boras is particularly prickly and tries to create emotive reactions from fans to bolster his client's position

i find him irritating as he generates a lot of empty noise

this stuff should just be dealt with quietly in the back rooms and not in public

but that is just not how boras rolls

Edited by coastal.view

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I remember a Blue Jay, John Olerud, wearing his batting helmet while running bases.  Maybe Pompey should consider wearing his, and not sliding head first?

This reminds me of one of my all-time favorite Rickey Henderson stories. (For those that weren't aware, Rickey is almost as famous for odd quotes as Yogi)

The story goes that while Rickey was with Seattle, he saw Olerud taking grounders at first with his batting helmet on. He asked why and Johnny O just said that he'd always done it. Henderson remarked that he had once played with a guy on the Mets that did the same thing. What he had forgotten, was that he also once played with a guy on the Jays who did it as well...

The guy in all three cases? John Olerud. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Blue Jays' Pompey shut down with concussion

Toronto Blue Jays general manager Ross Atkins delivered some lousy news Thursday, telling reporters that outfielder Dalton Pompey - vying for a spot on the active roster this spring - has been shut down due to a concussion sustained last week at the World Baseball Classic, according to Arash Madani of Sportsnet.

Pompey, who missed about three weeks in 2016 after suffering a concussion while playing for Triple-A Buffalo, was put through Major League Baseball's concussion protocol after exiting Team Canada's first-round loss to Colombia on Saturday with mild dizziness - the result of a wonky headfirst slide into second base. He'll have to clear the protocol before he can return.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1256326

Ouch this hurts. That means we have to see more of free swinging Smoak. He needs to be doing better if wants a spot in the opening day lineup. If he doesn't improve, he's back on the bench and Pearce will start at 1B with Zeke, Gurriel battling it out for the final outfield spot. I see maybe Zeke coming out on top and taking LF. Gurriel might be better off rounding off his game in the minors where he's guaranteed more playing time than stuck on the bench here though he has posted some very impressive numbers this spring. But it's looking more and more likely, Smoak will get the reps at 1B while Pearce at LF

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That is not a bad idea. Olerud wore his due to a history of annuerisms(vein in side the skull bleeding/bursting) can very quickly lead to death. My family has had 2 Aunts die from them and my mom has had two of her veins reinforced with metal tubing. Serious stuff.

Olerud is probably the best hitter I've seen, if he was just a bit faster running to first base he would have hit .400

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

:wacko: umm am I missing something here... Last time I checked all base runners wear their batting helmet when they run the bases.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

i agree with this

the contract end of things is just business

every team has its own business models

as do agents

boras is particularly prickly and tries to create emotive reactions from fans to bolster his client's position

i find him irritating as he generates a lot of empty noise

this stuff should just be dealt with quietly in the back rooms and not in public

but that is just not how boras rolls

Agree that it should be dealt behind closed doors away from the public, but if a team is low balling your client after talks, then you do in a way have a right to speak your mind on the matter. 

2 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If this team really wants to win, then Smoak not playing is the best for that to happen, Pearce has to become the 1B. For crying out loud Tim Tebow did and has done better then Smoak in his first 5 games. 

Tim Tebow - 5 games 3-14(.214) with 4 strikeouts.

Smoak - first 5 games 2-15(.133) with 7 strikeouts. 

Even more shocking for Smoak now after 10 games 4-26(.154) 10 strikeouts he's played double the amount of games as Tebow and has 1 more hit... Pathetic.

Smoak sucks. Gibbons won't play him often unless he's signed longterm and is certain he won't have to find a new managing job in 2018. Until then, Gibbons won't put his pathetic bat in a lineup for 81 games.

18 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

:wacko: umm am I missing something here... Last time I checked all base runners wear their batting helmet when they run the bases.

99.9% wear the batting helmet to first then change to a ball cap. Maybe the rules were changed?

Edited by gurn

15 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Agree that it should be dealt behind closed doors away from the public, but if a team is low balling your client after talks, then you do in a way have a right to speak your mind on the matter. 

provided you accept that what you are being told is accurate

the counterpoint to the boras view of life

is the jays position that an increase was rejected and they were left with no other option

boras just wants the jays to do things his way .. and they are unwilling..

that is the conclusion to be drawn.. not that boras' client was being lowballed

50 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

provided you accept that what you are being told is accurate

the counterpoint to the boras view of life

is the jays position that an increase was rejected and they were left with no other option

boras just wants the jays to do things his way .. and they are unwilling..

that is the conclusion to be drawn.. not that boras' client was being lowballed

Yes the Jays offered a little raise but in Boras and Sanchez eyes they felt he deserved more then that still so they rejected it, so Jays turned around and said alright here you go less! Deal with it nice management!