The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's not quite the story as I read it. The Sporting News reported that it happened at some point during the off season and that it wasn't clear when.

I think it's an important distinction, because he might be healed by now. (he certainly looks okay at the WBC)

I'd still love Pagan anyways tbh

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's not quite the story as I read it. The Sporting News reported that it happened at some point during the off season and that it wasn't clear when.

I think it's an important distinction, because he might be healed by now. (he certainly looks okay at the WBC)

Yeah saw the same thing basically, they didn't say exactly when, but it was due too a physical, sometime during the off season. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah saw the same thing basically, they didn't say exactly when, but it was due too a physical, sometime during the off season. 

The point being, I wouldn't write off any chance at signing him...

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The point being, I wouldn't write off any chance at signing him...

Well when he says things like this though he's expecting full time role and probably big money, don't expect the Jays to pay up for him unless they drop some contracts.

The 35-year-old free agent has received multiple offers from clubs, including the Atlanta Braves and Pittsburgh Pirates, according to Jon Heyman of FanRagSports, who reports none of the offers are acceptable to Pagan.

Pagan was pretty outspoken about his situation on Wednesday when he mentioned he was not willing to accept a minor-league deal, which had been offered to him by several clubs.

"I just don't feel I need to be fighting for a job ... If a team wants me to help a team win, they know I can help them win," Pagan explained to MLB.com's Chris Haft.

"Because I've been in that situation. I'm a winning player. I'm healthy. They'll see it in the (World) Baseball Classic," he said.

11 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well when he says things like this though he's expecting full time role and probably big money, don't expect the Jays to pay up for him unless they drop some contracts.

The 35-year-old free agent has received multiple offers from clubs, including the Atlanta Braves and Pittsburgh Pirates, according to Jon Heyman of FanRagSports, who reports none of the offers are acceptable to Pagan.

Pagan was pretty outspoken about his situation on Wednesday when he mentioned he was not willing to accept a minor-league deal, which had been offered to him by several clubs.

"I just don't feel I need to be fighting for a job ... If a team wants me to help a team win, they know I can help them win," Pagan explained to MLB.com's Chris Haft.

"Because I've been in that situation. I'm a winning player. I'm healthy. They'll see it in the (World) Baseball Classic," he said.

I agree that a guy Pagan's age is a bit of a gamble, but I wouldn't have a problem with promising him left field until he plays his way off the field. He' s better than anyone we have slotted into the position at the moment. As far as money goes, of course, it has to fit within the team's salary structure, but I think they can afford another major league deal.

Personally, my aim would be to have an everyday outfield of Pagan and Pillar, with a rotation in right. Bats, Zeke, Pearce and Pompey would all get time, with Pearce and Bats also getting significant time at first.

Smoak can remain an overpriced defensive replacement/occasional pinch hitter. 

I think we can all agree that if we signed Pagan it would be on a 1 year deal. Anymore than that and Toronto simply can't afford him.

It's nice having a real payroll but that doesn't mean it's infinite lol.

Edited by Xbox
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree that a guy Pagan's age is a bit of a gamble, but I wouldn't have a problem with promising him left field until he plays his way off the field. He' s better than anyone we have slotted into the position at the moment. As far as money goes, of course, it has to fit within the team's salary structure, but I think they can afford another major league deal.

Personally, my aim would be to have an everyday outfield of Pagan and Pillar, with a rotation in right. Bats, Zeke, Pearce and Pompey would all get time, with Pearce and Bats also getting significant time at first.

Smoak can remain an overpriced defensive replacement/occasional pinch hitter. 

Well I guess with this management they may sign him it is hard to say, but if they do then that means Zeke will probably be off the 25 man list, Pompey probably won't get a chance. Signing him does come with a price due to a 25 man roster, they still have Upton as well... They will have to trade someone to free up a spot is what I think, but I guess who really knows with this management.

If they could just trade Smoak and Upton I know it's not easy, but for prospects or cash, then signing Pagan would make a lot of sense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Well I guess with this management they may sign him it is hard to say, but if they do then that means Zeke will probably be off the 25 man list, Pompey probably won't get a chance. Signing him does come with a price due to a 25 man roster, they still have Upton as well... They will have to trade someone to free up a spot is what I think, but I guess who really knows with this management.

If they could just trade Smoak and Upton I know it's not easy, but for prospects or cash, then signing Pagan would make a lot of sense.

Those 2 gone would be Christmas for Jays fans. 

If Smoak was waived any chance he'd be claimed? I doubt any NL team would have any interest in a offensively weak 1B considering they already don't have a DH.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Agreed. Bringing someone in, means that someone has to go. I doubt that they could make a trade for Upton, (unless they ate his salary) so an outright release would likely have to happen.

This is all speculation, of course, but if you want to make your team better, you do what you have to do. IMHO, Pagan would definitely make this team better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

Agreed. Bringing someone in, means that someone has to go. I doubt that they could make a trade for Upton, (unless they ate his salary) so an outright release would likely have to happen.

This is all speculation, of course, but if you want to make your team better, you do what you have to do. IMHO, Pagan would definitely make this team better.

San Diego is paying most of his salary. It would be quite easy to deal Upton.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Xbox said:

Those 2 gone would be Christmas for Jays fans. 

If Smoak was waived any chance he'd be claimed? I doubt any NL team would have any interest in a offensively weak 1B considering they already don't have a DH.

I'm sure a team would pick him up, hoping to get something out of him then realizing man that was a stupid move :lol:

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree it would make the team better, and I'm all for that, if they're willing to let these guys go of course...

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Xbox said:

San Diego is paying most of his salary. It would be quite easy to deal Upton.

This is what I was thinking another team will take him I think, because they don't have to pay much of his salary that's why the Jays went for it, but obviously he's not even worth the discount on the Jays.

• Upvote 1