The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

43 minutes ago, Xbox said:

http://toronto.locals.baseballprospectus.com/2017/07/07/source-blue-jays-finalize-plans-for-july-trades/

Interesting read. Sounds like we are open to any type of trade including taking on salary for assets. Our untouchables seem to be Sanchez, Stroman, Pillar, Donaldson and Osuna. Everyone else is available.

Might as well trade Smoak while he's hot I guess. 

39 minutes ago, TheHitman said:

Might as well trade Smoak while he's hot I guess. 

I found that surprising as well but if you can get a good return do it.

Edited by Xbox

4 games out halfway through the season. Yeah let's trade the best home run hitter and best average on the team. What does that say to the rest of the team?  While you're at it, trade JD cuz he's 31. Really?  This is baseball, not hockey. 31 is just getting warmed up. This team should not be blown up this year. Fans are coming out in droves. Keep it going. Maybe they surprise us and go on a run.  

1 hour ago, YummyCakeFace said:

4 games out halfway through the season. Yeah let's trade the best home run hitter and best average on the team. What does that say to the rest of the team?  While you're at it, trade JD cuz he's 31. Really?  This is baseball, not hockey. 31 is just getting warmed up. This team should not be blown up this year. Fans are coming out in droves. Keep it going. Maybe they surprise us and go on a run.  

If trading Smoak makes a significant difference to improve the pitching squad it might be worth it. 

On July 4, 2017 at 8:38 AM, timberz21 said:

Or maybe, Gibbons did exactly what you suggested...which explains why their batting average is miserable.

Hockey coaches constantly ask their players to take more shots...doesn't means they score 50 goals in a season.

I agree with the previous poster that Gibbons isn't really to blame, even though I don't necessarily like him.  Neither is the actual Management team.  This team was handcuffed by the previous administration.  Yes Anthopolous build the back to back playoff teams and brought in Donaldson for peanuts, but he also mortgage the future for aging and pending UFA players.  Leaving the current administration with a declining core and an empty cupboard.   Their option were either continue to ride the current streak and going all in and fall hard after that, or keep the status quo, by refilling the cupboard and hoping that the aging core work one or two more years of magic, until the next core can take over.  Making it for an easier transition and less time in the basement.  Looks like option #2 was chosen without the expected results.

Personnally, I'd keep Donaldson for another year, as he's still under Blue Jays control next year and should still bring in a big return if he's traded next summer.  I'd also trade Tulo now since he might still have enough value in him to get something good in return.    Too bad Alford got injured, as we need to start bringing youth and speed in the line-up.

You're acting like the Jays had a pethroa of young elite talent to beginning with. The Jays prospect pool has always been bare, dating back to the early 2000s. The only guy who AA shipped out, who actually turned into a legitimate star was Syndergaard and he wasn't even the Jays top prospect at that time, nor was he ranked in the top 50 prospects of all of major league. 

AA knew the short window to compete was slowly closing, with Edwin's and Jose's contract due up. So, he took a gamble and went all in. Obviously, it didn't pay off but as a long time Jays fan, who witness the dark times of the late 90s to the early 00s. It was well worth it, trading those young assets away for those 3 months of baseball in 2015. Literally, those were the best time to be a Jays fan, in the long, long time. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, TheHitman said:

If trading Smoak makes a significant difference to improve the pitching squad it might be worth it. 

It's not worth losing that much offense for pitching, as much as this team needs pitching they need runs as well and taking your best offensive player right now out of your lineup your just asking to fail.

...Highlights were not worth watching today. That's the difference between a young contender who have many more great years ahead and a team like us who are trying to get more out of the superstars we still have. We've also forgotten about the BP and pitching as well. Smoak and Osuna have been phenomenal this season and deserve their ASG nods. The team still trying to play home run ball and that just isn't going to cut it. We need to make a couple moves to improve the team if we want to make a playoff push but it's starting to become bleak again. Once we start winning a few in a row post All Star break which the team deserves, I think we'll get ourselves back in the mix. 

On ‎2017‎-‎07‎-‎09 at 4:27 AM, shiznak said:

You're acting like the Jays had a pethroa of young elite talent to beginning with. The Jays prospect pool has always been bare, dating back to the early 2000s. The only guy who AA shipped out, who actually turned into a legitimate star was Syndergaard and he wasn't even the Jays top prospect at that time, nor was he ranked in the top 50 prospects of all of major league. 

AA knew the short window to compete was slowly closing, with Edwin's and Jose's contract due up. So, he took a gamble and went all in. Obviously, it didn't pay off but as a long time Jays fan, who witness the dark times of the late 90s to the early 00s. It was well worth it, trading those young assets away for those 3 months of baseball in 2015. Literally, those were the best time to be a Jays fan, in the long, long time. 

The prospects he traded in late 2015 are still in the minors or barely cracking the MLB line-ups right now, it's normal that they aren't superstar yet.   We won't know if they are or aren't probably for another 2 years.  Especially, since most of them were pitchers, it will take more time than a position player.  One of our biggest weakness the past few years was our bullpen, it can be explained by the lack of pitchers in the minors.

Not every prospect will become a superstar.  Instead of always signing/trading journeyman like Upton, Saunders, Pearce, Grilli, Benoit, Chavez, Storen, Bolzinger, Latos, etc. we could have filled these positions within our organization (without being superstars) with young and cheap players.  Leaving more money to spent in key position, like a setup man, DH, Starters, etc.

It's not always about superstars, it's about depth.  I think the Royals and Cubs proved that in the past two years. 

I'm not bashing on AA for what he did.  He brought us in the playoff and brought back meaningful baseball in Toronto.  The point I was trying to make was, you can't blame the current administration or Gibbons for that matter, for the current lackluster season.  This is oldest team in the AL, with our best prospect at least 2-3 years away from the majors.  I'm not saying trade all of our core and build through the draft, as this can take a decade (with the best example being the Astros and Cubs).  But some guys should be shipped out for young players or prospect close to MLB ready.  There has to be a transition, so that the team can stay competitive, without necessarily being a contender or bottom feeder.

On 7/9/2017 at 1:27 AM, shiznak said:

I agree. It was definitely worth a shot and who knows? If that pop-up that fell between Bats and Goins is caught, maybe we're not talking about what might have been....

People also need to bear in mind that prospects don't always turn out to be what you thought they would. Remember when the Jays traded Halliday to the Phillies? Kyle Drabek had to be part of that deal and when the Phillies included him, it looked like a major coup for the Jays....