The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

A lot of Jays fans were disappointed when Jason Grilli was let go....not so much because of his performance (I think even the most die-hard Grilli fan realized his time was up in T.O.) but because he was such a likeable guy. (Sort of this year's Moony Kawasaki)

Now there's another reason to like Jason Grilli:

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news/blue-jays-rally-around-all-star-osuna-who’s-pitching-better-than-ever/ar-BBEeUhM?li=AAggNb9

MIAMI – In the days late last month when Roberto Osuna first experienced strange feelings off the field that prevented him from performing on it, the young Toronto Blue Jays closer found people from across the organization offering to help.

The person he leaned on most?

“Jason Grilli,” Osuna says without a moment of hesitation. “I got support from all my teammates. Russell Martin was one of the biggest guys, too. But Jason Grilli spent all day and all night with me, telling me what to do to feel better, and he was a big help.”

....not that we needed another reason to like Jason Grilli....^_^

• Upvote 2

^^

As much as I did like Grilli because you knew his heart was here in Toronto and really wanted to win here, but yeah his time was sadly up. When he finally decides to call it a career, the Jays should bring him in to help coach the bullpen. And after hearing about Osuna and him, this would be a very smart choice imo.

• Upvote 1

This team does remind me a bit of 2 years ago, but as much as this will be deja vu for fans what really needs to be done to this team is the same thing AA did 2 years ago. Trade to get an Ace pitcher, a bullpen pitcher, and get a legit leadoff hitter. Getting Price and Revere 2 years ago shifted this team for the better, and this year it seems that's the same thing that may help this team turn around and go on a tear. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This team does remind me a bit of 2 years ago, but as much as this will be deja vu for fans what really needs to be done to this team is the same thing AA did 2 years ago. Trade to get an Ace pitcher, a bullpen pitcher, and get a legit leadoff hitter. Getting Price and Revere 2 years ago shifted this team for the better, and this year it seems that's the same thing that may help this team turn around and go on a tear. 

I completely agree. Heard and read on The Score that Smoak could potentially be trade bait due to his reasonable salary and his contract is a beauty. I don't think it's worth moving tbh. Still in the Wild Card mix and all the team needs is that one little boost which is a lead off hitter and pitching like you mentioned. Hopefully we can surprise and make another run for the World Series! 

Edited by Beary Sweet
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beary Sweet said:

I completely again. Heard and read on The Score that Smoak could potentially be trade bait due to his reasonable salary and his contract is a beauty. I don't think it's worth moving tbh. Still in the Wild Card mix and all the team needs is that one little boost which is a lead off hitter and pitching like you mentioned. Hopefully we can surprise and make another run for the World Series! 

For me, it would all be about what was being offered.

Draft picks are too much of a crap shoot, but young MLBers who have shown they can play are another story. I was a big proponent of trading for Charlie Blackmon, before the season started and would still like to see a move for a guy like him. Dee Gordon is another example.

As much as I like Smoak, (and JD and Tulo) these are the guys with value and the Jays are not serious contenders, even if they somehow manage to sneak into the playoffs. They are far too one-dimensional and below average defensively. When you get to the playoffs and the opposition is sending out their best pitchers in every situation, the weaknesses in the lineup (lack of speed and situational hitting) are exposed.

I was hoping for a change in philosophy before the season started, (which is why I advocated letting both Edwing and Bats walk) now I'm hoping that the change starts at the deadline.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I completely agree. Heard and read on The Score that Smoak could potentially be trade bait due to his reasonable salary and his contract is a beauty. I don't think it's worth moving tbh. Still in the Wild Card mix and all the team needs is that one little boost which is a lead off hitter and pitching like you mentioned. Hopefully we can surprise and make another run for the World Series! 

Yeah that rumor is going around, and I don't see that happening, can't take out your best offensive player and still expect to win games without him, not going to happen. Heard Shapiro talking about not trading key players because of the fans and it wouldn't be right to them, so by those sounds I don't expect guys like JD, JB, JS or even Tulo being traded, even though if there was one guy I wouldn't mind trading would be Tulo as long as we got a SS or 2B player back. 

I still believe if they make the trades to aquire the key positions I mentioned they would at least have a shot at making the playoffs, but what they trade would be similar to what AA did as I mentioned before it would be a deja vu, prospects and picks because according to Shapiro he isn't going to trade key players. But then again it's hard to see Shapiro allow trading prospects and picks, since they're here too rebuild that in the first place. 

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Pathetic :picard:

I feel bad sometimes for it but the team wouldn't be in this deep of a hole if the team wasn't so injury riddled. Now Liriano is hurt. It's been a factor along with the fact that they still play home run ball. Just need a lead off hitter plus a starter potentially and the team will start to get back. They also need to change their hitting approach and get runners on base and sacrifice to set the next guy up. We are looking like sellers though as of today

7 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol I was thinking when I saw that throw this guy actually called out his pitching.... It's more like he just can't throw period.

A lot of that going around. One of the worst defensive games I've seen from the Jays this year. 

23 hours ago, Beary Sweet said:

I feel bad sometimes for it but the team wouldn't be in this deep of a hole if the team wasn't so injury riddled. Now Liriano is hurt. It's been a factor along with the fact that they still play home run ball. Just need a lead off hitter plus a starter potentially and the team will start to get back. They also need to change their hitting approach and get runners on base and sacrifice to set the next guy up. We are looking like sellers though as of today

When you walk the bases loaded and then walk in the winning run can't feel sorry for that crap, that was just brutal bush league ball.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

A lot of that going around. One of the worst defensive games I've seen from the Jays this year. 

Later in that game he threw another one too 2nd and it bounced twice before getting to the bag horrible. As good as Donaldson is, he's been really bad at 3rd lately. And LF has just been a ZOO all year.

37 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Later in that game he threw another one too 2nd and it bounced twice before getting to the bag horrible. As good as Donaldson is, he's been really bad at 3rd lately. And LF has just been a ZOO all year.

The really sad thing is that two of their blunders didn't even count as errors. Te ball that dropped between Pillar and Bats was a case of miscommunication that resulted in a double and the ball off of Zeke's glove later in the inning should have been caught as well.

Tabby went through the motions of talking about Zeke almost making a great play, but he jumped way too soon. That's a ball that a major league outfielder has to catch.

The problem is, Pearce wouldn't have caught it either. The fault is with management for leaving the team so handicapped defensively in the name of adding more power to the offense.

• Upvote 2