The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Pillar traded to Giants for 3 players:

https://torontosun.com/sports/baseball/toronto-blue-jays/blue-jays-trade-kevin-pillar-to-giants-for-three-players

"

Kevin Pillar is no longer a Blue Jay.

Toronto announced Tuesday they have traded the outfielder to the San Francisco Giants in exchange for RHP Juan De Paula, INF Alen Hanson, and RHP Derek Law."

"

DE PAULA, 21, started last season with the Class-A Staten Island Yankees before being acquired by the San Francisco Giants in the Andrew McCutchen trade. He was then assigned to the Class-A Augusta GreenJackets. The 6-3, 165 lb. right-handed pitcher held a 1.72 ERA with 55 strikeouts and 27 walks over 52.1 innings of work in 2018. The Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, native holds a career 13-14 record and a 2.47 ERA over 48 Minor League games.

HANSON, 26, hit .252 with 17 doubles, five triples, and eight home runs across 110 games for the San Francisco Giants in 2018. The 6-0, 170 lb. switch-hitting infielder has a career .238 batting average with 27 doubles, eight triples, 12 home runs, and 51 RBI over 243 games.

"

LAW, 28, had a 7.43 ERA across 13.1 innings with 12 strikeouts and eight walks for the San Francisco Giants in 2018. Over the last three seasons with the big league team, the 6-3, 215 lb. right-handed pitcher has a 9-3 record with a 3.83 ERA and 97 strikeouts in 105.2 innings.

PILLAR, 30, hit .252 with 40 doubles, 15 home runs, and 18 walks over 142 games in 2018. The 6-0, 210 lb. right-handed batter has played in seven seasons with the Blue Jays, combining to hit .260 with 156 doubles, 55 home runs, and 231 RBI across 695 games. The West Hills, CA, native has played his entire career with the Blue Jays, averaging a .297 OBP and a .692 OPS."

Edited by gurn

Pillar is on the decline and I don’t think many people realize that. Other than his fielding, he doesn’t bring much else to the table.

Glad the Jays were able to get some assets moving superman which allows Alford to be a regular now. Gonna miss KP’s dedication and commitment to Canada’s team but it was just a matter of time until this happened. Wish him the best.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Generational.EP40 said:

Pillar is on the decline and I don’t think many people realize that. Other than his fielding, he doesn’t bring much else to the table.

Glad the Jays were able to get some assets moving superman which allows Alford to be a regular now. Gonna miss KP’s dedication and commitment to Canada’s team but it was just a matter of time until this happened. Wish him the best.

Man if JB could only trade declining assets for something. :bigblush:

Nice to see the Jays clearing out room for their young players.

16 minutes ago, Gäz said:

It is nice to see that they're cleaning house, even if it hurts to see some of these guys go (Kendrys, Pillar). That said, bring on Vladdy!

It doesn't really hurt to see them go. Pillar was an OK hitter and great OF defensively and Morales was a DH with pop. Morales and Pillar can be easily replaced at the plate. Pillar's defence is tougher to replace but it's not like he's the only good CF out there.

• Upvote 1

On 3/31/2019 at 9:12 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Until he shows signs of having at least a bat that can connect with a baseball and the baseball can find a piece of turf in play versus a glove - tough to trade him for anything of value.   He has been a fantastic defensive player but he has slowed down A LOT due to injuries and seeing him live when I get back to Ontario is a different player than two or three years ago.   He has literally played the crap out of his body.   He needs to be a hitter to at least his career average again else they Jays will find no takers as having an outfielder who cannot hit is not something any team in the bigs can endure.

Well this didn't age well.....:unsure:

• Haha 3

I knew he was going to be traded, but still sucks I liked Pillar, obviously some didn't care for him by the looks of it, but as a true fan I enjoyed Pillar on this team the last 6 years. He was a fighter and put his body on the line every game for this team and for that I have mad respect for the guy, wish you the best Pillar, go Superman it up in San Fran!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RonMexico said:

It doesn't really hurt to see them go. Pillar was an OK hitter and great OF defensively and Morales was a DH with pop. Morales and Pillar can be easily replaced at the plate. Pillar's defence is tougher to replace but it's not like he's the only good CF out there.

All of which is true, but I'm relatively new to the game compared to you folks and they were two of my favorite guys when I became a fan. Always gonna be part of my first season watching baseball. Hopefully some of these young guys coming in can step up because the D so far has been pretty frustrating already and we're only five games in. :unsure: 

1 minute ago, Gäz said:

All of which is true, but I'm relatively new to the game compared to you folks and they were two of my favorite guys when I became a fan. Always gonna be part of my first season watching baseball. Hopefully some of these young guys coming in can step up because the D so far has been pretty frustrating already and we're only five games in. :unsure: 

The next 2 years are rebuild, so they're expected to be mediocre for the next 2 years, but after that if everything goes to plan they should start being a team to watch out for. So this year and next is about seeing what is going to be the future of this team moving forward, so try not to have high expectations for them this year or next, but I'm not writing them off either but not expecting to much either, so if they finish above .500 I think that's a bonus and good start moving forward in the rebuild.

Jays have recalled Anthony Alford to take KP's spot, although I wouldn't be surprised if Grichuk gets the start in center field tonight against theO's....

...and in the "what else is new" category, Dalton Pompey is going on the 60 day DL.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Jays have recalled Anthony Alford to take KP's spot, although I wouldn't be surprised if Grichuk gets the start in center field tonight against theO's....

...and in the "what else is new" category, Dalton Pompey is going on the 60 day DL.

Yeah that's to bad about that guy, because he has some good talent and it definitely would of been nice to finally see it put to use this year and I believed he would of been the perfect lead off guy that this team has needed for years, maybe he still will eventually, but I don't know anymore this is his 3rd concussion not sure if he will be cleared anymore, time will tell I guess. 

30 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

The next 2 years are rebuild, so they're expected to be mediocre for the next 2 years, but after that if everything goes to plan they should start being a team to watch out for. So this year and next is about seeing what is going to be the future of this team moving forward, so try not to have high expectations for them this year or next, but I'm not writing them off either but not expecting to much either, so if they finish above .500 I think that's a bonus and good start moving forward in the rebuild.

Definitely; I've been putting them in a similar category as our beloved Canucks in terms of expectations. Not expecting much, but gonna be looking out for the good where they have it. A .500 season from this team wouldn't be something to be disappointed about, in my books.

Edited by Gäz
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Pompey and Travis are perennial injury concerns. So frustrating as a fan to see them constantly out for significant lengths of time.

7 minutes ago, Gäz said:

Definitely; I've been putting them in a similar category as our beloved Canucks in terms of expectations. Not expecting much, but gonna be looking out for the good where they have it. A .500 season from this team wouldn't be something to be disappointed about, in my books.

Yeah kind of similar to the Canucks situation as for expectations. I do have a different opinion on the matter of the actual rebuild between the 2, short version basically Jays imo due to having a more experience front office who's been through this before are doing it much quicker then the Canucks have. I'll admit I was a little skeptical about the Jays and hiring Atkins and Shapiro, I don't really like Atkins yet but I'm starting to respect Shapiro. Atkins still has some stuff to learn but Shapiro is helping him out, but Shapiro seems to have a good grasp on what needs to be done moving forward and he definitely says the right things more then Atkins does. They know where they're weakest in and that's pitching, and that's all they keep doing now is going after more pitching, so I feel they're doing all the right things moving forward to get this team to where it needs to be in a couple years.

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I"m going to guess in the near future Grichuk will get most of the starts in center

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I"m going to guess in the near future Grichuk will get most of the starts in center

aaaaannnnnndddddd of couse Alford starts in Center today.  Grichuk must've been tired from signing the contract :lol: