The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Ouch, Jays are 1 for 55 in the first 3 innings so far this season.  That is beyond awful.

Can't blame Galvis or Jansen this game though as they hit the ball well, the Orioles just made good defensive plays.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:35 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Well this didn't age well.....:unsure:

Let's see how long the 0.056 hitter lasts.    Sure was quite a haul of big league talent he brought back to Toronto but at least they got something.

Another terrific outing from Shoemaker. I doubt the rotation can maintain this pace, but they've sure done their jobs so far. The offense? Not so much.

Just hoping we don't see a repeat of last season, where it seemed like there was never and overlap of strong pitching and hitting.

• Upvote 1

Imo got to give this team at least 20-30 games to really see where they're going to be and what they're going to look like this year. Also having a new manager and getting used to the system he wants them to be playing, takes sometime to get used to. So far it seems the approach at the plate is free swinging Montoya is letting them go up there and swing away, maybe this allows him to see things in certain players and how they approach their at bats, and then can work with them after to change things. Just seems right now it's a test to get a better idea or view on where the players are at, and after a certain amount of games then can really start seeing what's working and what's not or what needs to be worked on or adjustments that need to be made.

I think we as Jays fans over the last few years have been used to an approach at the plate where the experience in some of the players showed patience at the plate, which is something these young guys will have to learn with experience, but that's part of a rebuild where players can come in and learn this type of stuff. Will see if they adjust later on in the season, no doubt they will have to eventually but it's a learning experience, but this is where I say I definitely wouldn't be against the Jays hiring someone like Bautista to be a hitting coach one day if he eventually decides to retire. The guy knew the strike zone better then anyone imo since Bonds, and just feel JB has a lot of experience in that area where he could help younger players in that area.

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup

On 4/2/2019 at 3:08 PM, RUPERTKBD said:

Jays have recalled Anthony Alford to take KP's spot, although I wouldn't be surprised if Grichuk gets the start in center field tonight against theO's....

...and in the "what else is new" category, Dalton Pompey is going on the 60 day DL.

What amazes me is that there is 51 million on the active payroll and 48 million in retained salaries for players to play elsewhere. 

Once the retained salaries come off the books, we’ll be the lowest paid team in the MLB but I guess that isn’t a bad thing during a rebuild. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Another 0 for the first 3 innings I see :unsure:

Besides maybe Grichuk and Glavis I can’t think of anyone who was played full time for more than 2 seasons on this team. Everyone else has kind of been utility players or is young. Could be a long couple seasons while they figure it out. 

Team average is currently .190 and I don’t think it’s fluke, but lucky for the Jays they own the sports media and announcers so everyone can tow the party line that they’re a much better team than that. 

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Upvote 1

On 4/4/2019 at 2:18 PM, Standing_Tall#37 said:

What amazes me is that there is 51 million on the active payroll and 48 million in retained salaries for players to play elsewhere. 

Once the retained salaries come off the books, we’ll be the lowest paid team in the MLB but I guess that isn’t a bad thing during a rebuild. 

true

just turn off your tv for a season or 2

until they decide to field a major league roster

not worth wasting time on them this season

maybe watch a few games when guerrero gets called up

but there really is nothing to see here this season

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

true

just turn off your tv for a season or 2

until they decide to field a major league roster

not worth wasting time on them this season

maybe watch a few games when guerrero gets called up

but there really is nothing to see here this season

Yea I’m a ball fan. So I hope for the best, but it hurts to see my team like this. Hopefully the young guys come together quickly. 

On 4/5/2019 at 6:18 PM, oldnews said:

Maile can't lay a bunt down...

Disappointing how many of these guys these days can't execute the fundamentals.

Especially when it's a guy who hits that far down in the order....<_<

So many teams seem to have abandoned the "Get 'em over" part of the three Gs....although to be fair, the Jays aren't "Getting 'em on", or "Getting 'em in" either.....

• Cheers 1

i figured instead of criticizing the Jays, we can take a break and criticize Donald Trump for a while:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/report-trump-administration-blocks-deal-between-mlb-cuba/ar-BBVJUZt?li=AAggXBR

The Trump administration rejected a deal between Major League Baseball and the Cuban Baseball Federation that would've allowed Cuban-born players to sign with major-league teams without defecting, according to the Washington Post's Karen DeYoung.

A senior U.S. official said the existing deal was canceled because it was "based on erroneous interpretation by the former Obama administration that the Cuban Baseball Federation was not part of Cuba's communist government", according to Reuters' Matt Spetalnick.

MLB, the players' union, and the Cuban Baseball Federation reached an agreement in December to allows players from the island to sign big-league contracts without defecting.

Their deal modeled the ones MLB has in place with leagues in Japan, South Korea, and China. There was hope it would help eliminate human trafficking involving Cuban players defecting to join MLB.

The Trump administration has taken issue with the agreement since it was agreed upon over concerns that the Cuban government would profit from a U.S. business.

It was done on Obama's watch, therefore it's wrong....<_<