The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

12 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Hitting .379 in AAA, hit .440 in AA last year. I’d say the guy can play as long as he’s defensively sound. 

Any ball that's grounded to him that's not glove side he tends to miss. Definitely has some work to do defensively. Hope he learns on the Jays though.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Hitting .379 in AAA, hit .440 in AA last year. I’d say the guy can play as long as he’s defensively sound. 

Chances are due to his size he won't stay a 3B but this mini rebuild is the best time to find out, if it doesn't work out at 3B he can than be put at 1B and him and Tellez can be the DH/1B combo for the future. Definitely other options out there for him if it doesn't work out defensively at 3B, so not to worried about that just hope he impresses at 3B and improves and it will be a bonus.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Chances are due to his size he won't stay a 3B but this mini rebuild is the best time to find out, if it doesn't work out at 3B he can than be put at 1B and him and Tellez can be the DH/1B combo for the future. Definitely other options out there for him if it doesn't work out defensively at 3B, so not to worried about that just hope he impresses at 3B and improves and it will be a bonus.

I have to believe that's the plan moving forward. It means that Smoak's days are numbered, but hopefully he can maintain his solid season until the trade deadline rolls around and get us some value from a contender.

5 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have to believe that's the plan moving forward. It means that Smoak's days are numbered, but hopefully he can maintain his solid season until the trade deadline rolls around and get us some value from a contender.

I kind of figured that too. If Vlad can’t handle 3rd, smoak will be traded very soon. If Vlad can play it for a couple years, we’ll get a season or two more of Smoak, then he’ll be shipped when he’s about to get a payday. The unfortunate part of moneyball is you get 7 years of any player. 

I think his defense is blown way out of proportion. He’s only committed 5 errors in 259 innings at AAA. He has a strong/accurate arm, so if he bobbles the ball, he could still make a close play across the diamond as long as the first basemen doesn’t completely whiffs the ball.

Edited by shiznak

On 4/25/2019 at 9:47 AM, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm pretty sure moving Vlad to 1B is plan B if plan A doesn't work out, but if plan A works out, I still expect Smoak being traded sometime this year unless the injury bug hits the Jays hard, but he will be moved at sometime so far he's playing well so hopefully he continues and can help us with a good return.

19 hours ago, shiznak said:

I think his defense is blown way out of proportion. He’s only committed 5 errors in 259 innings at AAA. He has a strong/accurate arm, so if he bobbles the ball, he could still make a close play across the diamond as long as the first basemen doesn’t completely whiffs the ball.

I agree. He might make the odd error, but most rookies do.

In any event, baseball has shown us time and again, that it makes sense to live with a bit less defense for someone who has big numbers on offense. George Bell and Manny Ramirez come to mind right away.

I don't think there's any hurry, but I still believe the ultimate goal is to have Vlad and Rowdy at 1st / DH. Whether Drury is the guy at 3rd remains to be seen, but the Jays have time on that front.

Still, I expect Smoak to be moved for futures, especially if he has a big year. An excellent defensive 1B, who can hit for power from both sides of the plate would likely be very attractive to contending teams, especially if they aren't particularly strong at the position already.