The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

It was inevitable. When the current regime came in the cupboards were bare after a couple of playoff runs. Fans can rag on Shatkins and clamour for AA back as much as they want but in reality, the team is in its current state because of moves AA made. Let’s not forget he gave up some very good prospects in what were mostly failed trades. His big ones (Dickey, Buehrle, Tulo) really didn’t work out. 

Agree, for the most part, although I would still make the trade for Tulo, knowing what I know now. Although he had a big salary, so did Reyes and the Jays got a couple of good years out of Tulo. LaTroy Hawkins was also better than expected.

The two other guys that the Jays gave up (Castro and Hoffman) never reached their potential.

So while it definitely hurts to be eating Tulo's salary, I think the benefit in those two playoff seasons made it worthwhile.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

It was inevitable. When the current regime came in the cupboards were bare after a couple of playoff runs. Fans can rag on Shatkins and clamour for AA back as much as they want but in reality, the team is in its current state because of moves AA made. Let’s not forget he gave up some very good prospects in what were mostly failed trades. His big ones (Dickey, Buehrle, Tulo) really didn’t work out. 

Agreed on the first two trades, but getting Tulowitzki was key imo. Reyes was putrid defensively and Tulo helped big time. 

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

It was inevitable because, Shapiro and co. didn’t continue to stay competitive and built on what AA did, but rather stay the course and let the core aging players expire their time here.

You can say AA sold the farm to get a couple of good playoff runs, but most of the prospects he traded away become nothing more than journeymen players or depth players on their clubs. Syndergaard was the only prospect that actually become a superstar, but AA did get us Vlad Jr. so that kind of cancels it out.

I’ve always said to stay competitive in the AL East, you need to match what the Yankees and Red Sox do, move for move or else you’re just staying in a mediocrity phase.

Edited by shiznak

Wilmer Font must be really feeling it right now.  Over his 7 outings (16 and a third innings) he's been good for a 2.20 ERA, a WHIP below 1 and (most impressively to me) 21 strikeouts to just 3 walks.   I wonder if this is sustainable.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-ready-ramp-use-openers-strategys-early-success/

I was wondering if the opener for the Jays was here to stay or not and this article was a good discussion of that.  Personally, in the long term, the opener is a symptom of a starting rotation that isn't good enough (which the Blue Jays rotation clearly isn't) but if it's something you have to do, then it can get you by, which the Jays 9-3 record with the opener clearly indicates.

I'm curious to hear what your guys' opinion on the opener is.  Font sure has been good in that role, but hopefully we see less and less of it as that'll mean we have better starting pitching.

You know things are going well when Richard Urena comes in to pitch.  They need to save Godley and Gaviglio for tomorrow?  Yikes.  Mamma said their'd be days like this.

Edit:  and with Godley and Gaviglio due up next...tomorrow.

Edited by Wilbur

Since he's been up, for the most part, I've really liked what I've seen from Waguespack.  I like soft contact starting pitchers, especially when pitching in the American League East.  Like Stroman, don't expect him to get shutout every night, but any night you can walk away after 6/7 innings and only allow 1-3 runs, that's a success against a lineup full of mashers.

• Upvote 1