The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Watching the first Seattle game wondering who thought it would be a good idea to dress the home teams like the umps? Hope nothing strange happens due to a mistaken identity.

Both teams jerseys are an absolute eyesore. Admittedly, I’ve barely followed Major League Baseball this year so I’ve gotta ask- wtf is this? 

On 8/23/2019 at 10:37 PM, Sean Monahan said:

Both teams jerseys are an absolute eyesore. Admittedly, I’ve barely followed Major League Baseball this year so I’ve gotta ask- wtf is this? 

https://www.mlb.com/news/sights-from-players-weekend

Players' Weekend is officially underway, meaning your favorite players are taking the field with nicknames on the back of their jerseys and some other unique gear, including plenty of specially designed cleats.

Every team’s Players’ Weekend nicknames | Players' Weekend FAQ

Edited by gurn
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

30 homers...…. say, what did the Jays get for him again?

Julian Merryweather. A 27 year old who is pitching in Dunedin(High A) because he’s had 2 Tommy John Surgeries. He’s also never appeared in a mlb game. 

Basically they traded a league mvp a season and a half later to their old teamfor nothing. I’m thoroughly unimpressed at Shatkins inability to repeatedly get nothing back for star players they trade out.

Coroner’s report is out on Tyler Skaggs. Sad story. 

The cause of death is listed as a mixture of “alcohol, fentanyl and oxycodone intoxication with terminal aspiration of gastric contents,” meaning Skaggs, 27, essentially choked on his vomit while under the influence. The death, according to the report, was ruled an accident. He was found on his bed, fully clothed, and there were no signs of trauma.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/angels/story/2019-08-30/tyler-skaggs-autopsy-report-fentanyl-oxycodone-alcohol-angels-rusty-hardin

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Jays get a couple of prospect arms in the return for Sogard.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/blue-jays-acquire-two-pitchers-rays-complete-sogard-deal/

Not sure where either Gonzalez or Taylor project, but both seem to be putting up decent numbers in their respective leagues by the looks of it.

Wow, that's actually a great return for the Jays.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Xbox said:

Wow, that's actually a great return for the Jays.

Kind of reminds me of the return in the Aaron Loup trade except there are two of them.  Not bad for a 3 month rental.  Both those guys have solid solid numbers that'll be good for organizational depth at the very least.  And, you never know, Waguespack is getting a chance earn a MLB spot and if either of these guys get that chance down the road, that'll make the trade great.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 10:42 AM, Wilbur said:

Without Guerrero Jr and Gurriel Jr in the line up this batting order is

Fisher2.gif&key=fc15eeec1416fa7e439f1b16

So in grade 8 or 9 we had to play baseball in school.  I was the only left handed person and we didn't have any RH gloves so I played RF hoping no one could pull the ball.  Anywho someone managed to pop one up my ways and this showboating kid called me off and went for it, well he missed and got his teeth knocked out for his troubles.  After that I was the worst defensive player in the history of baseball because no way I was getting under a fly ball.  

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

Before the year began, we theorized that Triple-A baseball’s switch from the standard minor league balls of the past to the MLB ball could lead to a jump in home runs.

So no doubt MLB is using juiced balls.  Triple A HR's are up in a huge way, this article is from the beginning of the season.  

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

So in grade 8 or 9 we had to play baseball in school.  I was the only left handed person and we didn't have any RH gloves so I played RF hoping no one could pull the ball.  Anywho someone managed to pop one up my ways and this showboating kid called me off and went for it, well he missed and got his teeth knocked out for his troubles.  After that I was the worst defensive player in the history of baseball because no way I was getting under a fly ball.  

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/new-ball-is-sparking-an-offensive-explosion-in-triple-a/

So no doubt MLB is using juiced balls.  Triple A HR's are up in a huge way, this article is from the beginning of the season.  

Blech, I think the MLB has to ease away from this.  Home runs were sexy but now all we see are BB, K's, or HR's.  I wanna see higher batting averages, not players worried about a higher launch angle.

• Upvote 1