The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

1 hour ago, shiznak said:

I mean, a lot of people thought Sanchez and Stroman were safe bet to be Jays in the long run.....but that didn’t exactly pan out.

I'll admit at one time I felt like that regarding Sanchez but never Stroman, but injury season after injury season to Sanchez I started losing that hope for him. But pitchers don't normally last as long on teams unless they're a dominant pitcher, it's much more rare then a dominant positional player and I believe Vladdy and Bo are going to be those types of dominant players, so I put them as safe for now for sure.

The cool thing was, Jays were up by only 1 run in the top of the 9th....2 men on and 2 out....Biggio steps to the plate needing the Triple for the cycle and hits one off the fence in left center. The O's outfielder hurt himself crashing into the wall while trying to make the catch, so it wasn't even close at third.

It was a bit of a weird feeling....when the ball left the bat, I was yelling "hit the wall!"...not "get out!" ...:lol:

IIRC, CB had two strikes on him as well. In fact, I think it was a full count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

One final thing:

With Biggio standing on third, they show a replay from a camera beside the dugout and there's Vladdy....out of the dugout, celebrating and saluting his friend....

How can you not love this kid?

I got the notification on my phone while in class last night that he hit the cycle. It's been a blast watching these kids this season!

10 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The cool thing was, Jays were up by only 1 run in the top of the 9th....2 men on and 2 out....Biggio steps to the plate needing the Triple for the cycle and hits one off the fence in left center. The O's outfielder hurt himself crashing into the wall while trying to make the catch, so it wasn't even close at third.

It was a bit of a weird feeling....when the ball left the bat, I was yelling "hit the wall!"...not "get out!" ...:lol:

IIRC, CB had two strikes on him as well. In fact, I think it was a full count.

Is Biggio a speedy guy?

11 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Thanks for your insight.. I was actually looking for someone with a little more info. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/players/10322/cavan-biggio/

Says he hit 14 triples in 362 minor league games stole 47 bases and got caught 19 times.

Major League stats are 2 triples, 13 stolen bases, has not been caught stealing in 87 games

Here is a link to a 2016 Bleacher Report scouting report

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2635588-cavan-biggio-prospect-profile-for-toronto-blue-jays-5th-round-pick

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Western Red said:

Thanks for your insight.. I was actually looking for someone with a little more info. 

Looking at his past stats and how he's played with the Jays, I'd expect him to be an opportunistic base stealer, not a consistent SB threat.  Maybe 20 a year?

• Upvote 2

Is small ball a thing of the past in baseball..... I get there is still some, but is it being phased out basically.

With the way homeruns are going out now a days small ball doesn't seem as necessary, anyone seems to be able to put it out of the park now. Just looking at the Jays game, saw they were winning 3-2 when I see a low scoring game like this in the past I would think it's a tight game, probably some small ball going on, but nope find out all 3 runs from the Jays are from 3 solo homeruns. Just seems in the past a guy would bunt use his speed and hope to get on, now it's like you might as well just swing away you might get a homerun instead and that's better.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:06 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Is small ball a thing of the past in baseball..... I get there is still some, but is it being phased out basically.

With the way homeruns are going out now a days small ball doesn't seem as necessary, anyone seems to be able to put it out of the park now. Just looking at the Jays game, saw they were winning 3-2 when I see a low scoring game like this in the past I would think it's a tight game, probably some small ball going on, but nope find out all 3 runs from the Jays are from 3 solo homeruns. Just seems in the past a guy would bunt use his speed and hope to get on, now it's like you might as well just swing away you might get a homerun instead and that's better.

It's pretty much dead....

In that extra inning game that was finally won by the Anthony Alford HR, the Jays basically proved it a few innings earlier.

In that inning with the score tied, Randall Grichuk came up with 2 men on (McKinney and Biggio if memory serves) and nobody out. Even though RG is your leading home run guy, that's a situation that screams for a bunt and IMHO it's something that every player should be able to execute. In this case, Grichuk swung away, made an out and the runners were stranded.

The other thing that drives me nuts is this refusal to hit the other way, when the opposition is in the exaggerated shift. Big Papi used to do it all the time, but for some reason, it isn't okay for Justin Smoak....<_<

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Justin Smoak is not Big Papi.

But I too, would like to see "small ball" used more often.

That's my point. If a hitter of that caliber will take the easy single once in a while, there's no reason a hitter like Smoak shouldn't do the same.

Let the situation dictate.....tie game and two out? For sure, swing for the fences. But down by three, nobody out and nobody on? WTF are you doing trying to hit it through the shift? Go the other way and get on base so somebody else can knock you in....

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's my point. If a hitter of that caliber will take the easy single once in a while, there's no reason a hitter like Smoak shouldn't do the same.

Let the situation dictate.....tie game and two out? For sure, swing for the fences. But down by three, nobody out and nobody on? WTF are you doing trying to hit it through the shift? Go the other way and get on base so somebody else can knock you in....

I'm still pretty new to baseball but this just seems to make sense to me. I get that home runs are exciting, but so is strategic small ball, and if it's gonna be all homers all the time it's gonna get boring after a while. If my fat@$$ potato of a cat can hit home runs in the MLB, then it kinda loses its luster, right?