The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

Report: Wheeler expected to land 5-year deal worth over $100M

Zack Wheeler is expected to cash in this offseason.

The free-agent right-hander has received at least one $100-million offer and will land a five-year deal in excess of that amount, reports The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

Among the teams pursuing Wheeler are the Chicago White Sox, Minnesota Twins, Cincinnati Reds, Texas Rangers, and Toronto Blue Jays, Rosenthal adds.

Wheeler is widely viewed as the third-best free-agent starting pitcher available behind Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg following two straight stellar campaigns with the New York Mets.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1896435

14 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Report: Blue Jays interested in Ryu, Keuchel

The Toronto Blue Jays are interested in free-agent pitchers Hyun-Jin Ryu and Dallas Keuchel, according to Jon Morosi of MLB Network.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1897018

I read that they're being aggressive with starters so seeing those names is nice to see. Here's to hoping we land someone good

• Upvote 1

Atkins: Blue Jays have 'flexibility' to spend $100M on marquee free agent

The Toronto Blue Jays are poised to be aggressive in free agency, and general manager Ross Atkins said the front office has the green light to spend.

Atkins told the Toronto chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America that the team has the financial "flexibility" to spend in the $100-million range on a marquee free agent, according to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.

He added that the team was not ruling out any pitcher who remains on the open market, which could include Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg.

"There's not a free-agent pitcher that we haven't touched base with and we have been aggressively trying to understand every opportunity and we'll continue to do that," Atkins said, according to Davidi. "There remains opportunity out there."

The Blue Jays have been linked to the likes of Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dallas Keuchel, and Michael Pineda in recent days. Toronto was also reportedly interested in right-hander Zack Wheeler and catcher Yasmani Grandal prior to their signings.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1897662

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Atkins: Blue Jays have 'flexibility' to spend $100M on marquee free agent

The Toronto Blue Jays are poised to be aggressive in free agency, and general manager Ross Atkins said the front office has the green light to spend.

Atkins told the Toronto chapter of the Baseball Writers' Association of America that the team has the financial "flexibility" to spend in the $100-million range on a marquee free agent, according to Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.

He added that the team was not ruling out any pitcher who remains on the open market, which could include Gerrit Cole and Stephen Strasburg.

"There's not a free-agent pitcher that we haven't touched base with and we have been aggressively trying to understand every opportunity and we'll continue to do that," Atkins said, according to Davidi. "There remains opportunity out there."

The Blue Jays have been linked to the likes of Hyun-Jin Ryu, Dallas Keuchel, and Michael Pineda in recent days. Toronto was also reportedly interested in right-hander Zack Wheeler and catcher Yasmani Grandal prior to their signings.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1897662

Jon Morosi just said we have the best chance to sign Ryu :o

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

@shiznak

Report: Blue Jays considering Encarnacion, Smoak for 1B opening

Free-agent sluggers Edwin Encarnacion and Justin Smoak are getting consideration from the Toronto Blue Jays for the club's vacancy at first base, Ben Nicholson-Smith of Sportsnet reports.

The Blue Jays are also intrigued by international free-agent Yo$&!#omo Tsutsugo, according to Nicholson-Smith. However, multiple American League Central teams are also reportedly interested in the 28-year-old Japanese first baseman/outfielder

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902130

17 hours ago, Xbox said:

The next MLB The Show game will be on xbox for anyone who's ever wanted to play it

I read this yesterday and was happy to hear this but it says by the year 2021... So that wouldn't be next year that would be the following year, just in time for the new consoles. EA Sports last I heard was thinking on bringing MVP Baseball back, imo best baseball game ever, but that rumor seems to have died, so as long as The Show comes to Xbox it will keep me with Xbox then. Was really thinking of switching to PS eventually just because of the Baseball, so maybe now I won't have to.

• Upvote 1

Times are changing

Report: MLB to remove marijuana testing for minor leaguers

Major league Baseball will remove marijuana from the list of banned substances for minor leaguers, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The decision to remove testing for marijuana is a part of a larger new agreement on opioids that the league and Major League Baseball Players Association are negotiating, according to Rosenthal.

Before the reported changes, players in the minors were referred to counseling and treatment programs after their first positive test for marijuana. A second positive result would've led to a suspension.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902183

13 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Times are changing

Report: MLB to remove marijuana testing for minor leaguers

Major league Baseball will remove marijuana from the list of banned substances for minor leaguers, sources told Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic.

The decision to remove testing for marijuana is a part of a larger new agreement on opioids that the league and Major League Baseball Players Association are negotiating, according to Rosenthal.

Before the reported changes, players in the minors were referred to counseling and treatment programs after their first positive test for marijuana. A second positive result would've led to a suspension.

https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1902183

It's progress, I suppose, but honestly, any minor leaguer who tokes up is an idiot. it's extremely difficult to hit a 95 MPH fastball, but trying to do it when you're baked? :wacko:

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's progress, I suppose, but honestly, any minor leaguer who tokes up is an idiot. it's extremely difficult to hit a 95 MPH fastball, but trying to do it when you're baked? :wacko:

Well I don't think they're encouraging them to come to the field high lol, just like you don't come to the field drunk, what you do after on your down time, now allows them to get high instead of only getting drunk....

30 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I read this yesterday and was happy to hear this but it says by the year 2021... So that wouldn't be next year that would be the following year, just in time for the new consoles. EA Sports last I heard was thinking on bringing MVP Baseball back, imo best baseball game ever, but that rumor seems to have died, so as long as The Show comes to Xbox it will keep me with Xbox then. Was really thinking of switching to PS eventually just because of the Baseball, so maybe now I won't have to.

Dang, so one more year. At least it'll arrive when the Jays become good ;) 

• Haha 1