The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

It's a possibility, although the Jays might prefer a natural 1st baseman. I'm actually a bit surprised that we haven't heard any talk about bringing Eric Thames back...They'd probably prefer a righty to complement Tellez, but they could probably plug in Vladdy or Drury against tough lefties once in a while...

I'd like to see the Jays bring back Edwin, and maybe Donaldson???  I think Ozuna would really solidify our lineup and our outfield.

• Cheers 1

Just now, BoKnows said:

I'd like to see the Jays bring back Edwin, and maybe Donaldson???  I think Ozuna would really solidify our lineup and our outfield.

I'm generally not big on bringing back former stars for sentimental reasons. Both those guys would want big money. I'd be okay with either, or both, provided the deal was short term, but I think they need to keep money available for more pitching.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm generally not big on bringing back former stars for sentimental reasons. Both those guys would want big money. I'd be okay with either, or both, provided the deal was short term, but I think they need to keep money available for more pitching.

I couldn't see Edwin demanding too much money, and I don't know if JD would want to come back.  Out of the two of them I would want Edwin back.

Just now, BoKnows said:

I couldn't see Edwin demanding too much money, and I don't know if JD would want to come back.  Out of the two of them I would want Edwin back.

For sure. As much as I love JD, Vladdy needs the reps at 3B....unless the decision was made to move him to 1st, but that would likely mean that they were giving up on Rowdy. I wouldn't be a fan of that, so soon into his career.

• Upvote 1

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

For sure. As much as I love JD, Vladdy needs the reps at 3B....unless the decision was made to move him to 1st, but that would likely mean that they were giving up on Rowdy. I wouldn't be a fan of that, so soon into his career.

Exactly, I wouldn't mind seeing Vladdy at 1st and Rowdy as a DH though.

Just now, BoKnows said:

Exactly, I wouldn't mind seeing Vladdy at 1st and Rowdy as a DH though.

If it were somehow possible to add both of those bats to the lineup, it would certainly give the offense a boost. (And maybe guys like Vladdy and Bo see better pitches as a result)

That being said, knowing Shatkins like I do, I just don't see them going that route, unless the could talk both guys into 1 or 2 year deals. Pretty unlikely, IMO.

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

If it were somehow possible to add both of those bats to the lineup, it would certainly give the offense a boost. (And maybe guys like Vladdy and Bo see better pitches as a result)

That being said, knowing Shatkins like I do, I just don't see them going that route, unless the could talk both guys into 1 or 2 year deals. Pretty unlikely, IMO.

It will be interesting to see what they do as they still over $85M~ to spend if they want.  I have a gut feeling that Ozuna is going to be playing ball in Canada next season.

13 hours ago, BoKnows said:

Donaldson isn't coming back.

Edwin actually might. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment but it's a good fit.

Ozuna would be nice. We definitely need an outfield upgrade.

• Cheers 1

On 12/20/2019 at 9:18 PM, Xbox said:

Donaldson isn't coming back.

Edwin actually might. I hope I'm not setting myself up for disappointment but it's a good fit.

Ozuna would be nice. We definitely need an outfield upgrade.

Ryu is the guy I really want. That would be a huge score for the Jays.

They still can't compete with the team the Yankees have purchased, but with Ryu, the rotation starts to look like a major league unit.

• Like 1

New Blue Jay:

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/players/playerpage/2048656/travis-shaw

"

December 22, 2019 10:40 AM
Blue Jays' Travis Shaw: Lands one-year deal with Toronto
by RotoWire Staff | RotoWire

Shaw agreed to a one-year, $4 million contract with the Blue Jays on Sunday, Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports.

It's not surprising that he settled for a one-year deal, as his age-29 season was easily his worst as a big leaguer. He hit .157/.281/.270 with seven home runs and a career-worst 33 percent strikeout rate -- well above the 18.4 and 22.8 percent rates he logged in 2018 and 2017, respectively. Per Scott Mitchell of TSN.ca, the plan is for Shaw to play almost every day at first base, which leaves Rowdy Tellez to fight for at-bats at designated hitter. His contract could end up being worth $4.675 million with incentives.

Batting Summary
Year Team G AB R H HR RBI BB SO SB CS OBP SLG AVG
2018 MIL 152 498 73 120 32 86 78 108 5 2 .345 .480 .241
2019 MIL 86 230 22 36 7 16 36 89 0 0 .281 .270 .157
  • Thanks 1

Honest question. What is the plan for the BlueJays going after guys like Ryu, Edwin, Ozuna and Josh Donaldson. You can't compete in the division, and adding those guys only helps get you to 70-80 wins. If you want to get to a level where you can compete with the NYY, you need that top end talent which can be found in the international signing period and the draft. Like honestly, when do you think you will be competing for the division?

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

Honest question. What is the plan for the BlueJays going after guys like Ryu, Edwin, Ozuna and Josh Donaldson. You can't compete in the division, and adding those guys only helps get you to 70-80 wins. If you want to get to a level where you can compete with the NYY, you need that top end talent which can be found in the international signing period and the draft. Like honestly, when do you think you will be competing for the division?

This is a great question tbh. I have a feeling they're just gunning for the wild card spot and hoping for the best. I want to say 2021 they'd like to finish 5th in the AL

Even with the addition of Ryu, the starting rotation is still kind of meh. I still think they need another #2 pitcher in their rotation, to even fight for a Wildcard spot.

I’m not too confident in Ryu at repeating his performance with the Dodgers last year. He had a monster start to the season, but his numbers fell off post All-Star break. Then, you have Roark and Anderson who are primarily 4th/5th (maybe #3, if we get lucky) pitchers on a contender; Shoemaker (#3) and Borucki (another #4/5) who are coming off major surgeries. 

Jays will be fighting for 3rd place in the AL East, as usual. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, shiznak said:

Even with the addition of Ryu, the starting rotation is still kind of meh. I still think they need another #2 pitcher in their rotation, to even fight for a Wildcard spot.

I’m not too confident in Ryu at repeating his performance with the Dodgers last year. He had a monster start to the season, but his numbers fell off post All-Star break. Then, you have Roark and Anderson who are primarily 4th/5th (maybe #3, if we get lucky) pitchers on a contender; Shoemaker (#3) and Borucki (another #4/5) who are coming off major surgeries. 

Jays will be fighting for 3rd place in the AL East, as usual. 

I agree. There was talk over the weekend of the Jays negotiating with the Red Sox for Price. I'm not sure that would work, because the Sox would want one of the Jays best prospects for DP, which (I hope) would be a non-starter for T.O.

Looking at what's left, I see Alex Wood and Ivan Nova are still available, as are Drew Smyly and Rich Hill. Not sure how much any of them move the needle, TBH.

30 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree. There was talk over the weekend of the Jays negotiating with the Red Sox for Price. I'm not sure that would work, because the Sox would want one of the Jays best prospects for DP, which (I hope) would be a non-starter for T.O.

Looking at what's left, I see Alex Wood and Ivan Nova are still available, as are Drew Smyly and Rich Hill. Not sure how much any of them move the needle, TBH.

No they wouldn't, if anything the Red Sox would add to get us to take Price. The rumoured package was Beni + Price for peanuts so they can shed salary.

3 minutes ago, Xbox said:

No they wouldn't, if anything the Red Sox would add to get us to take Price. The rumoured package was Beni + Price for peanuts so they can shed salary.

Hmmm.....even so, it's a tough call. 3 more years at 32 Million for a 34 year old....