Sign in to follow this  
The Stork

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That might make the deal more palatable.....depending on how much they agree to retain....

I think if we got him for 15-16/season, we’d have to throw in a few prospects. If we are paying more than 22/year, we better get something with him. He’d be a solid#2/3 for us. Probably 2 depth-wise... but I’d put him 3 so that the opposition isn’t facing a lefty 2 days in a row.

Edited by Standing_Tall#37
  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I’ve been pretty hard on this management so far, but I will say that I’m glad they’ve actually addressed the pitching this offseason.  One more starter (2/3 guy) and a decent 7/8 inning reliever would really shore things up. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Hmmm.....even so, it's a tough call. 3 more years at 32 Million for a 34 year old....

Getting Benintendi would be so so so worth taking Price back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the BoSox are that desperate to avoid luxury tax?

 

Cool signing with Ryu. I'll probably end my 2 year hiatus of shunning the Jays now.

 

I really don't like Shapiro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like Jays have been rumored to be trying to acquire a lot of ex faces lately, EE, JD, Price, wonder where it stops or does it... Do they try to go after another one as well....:bigblush:

Just for the record this was from a month ago, but I guess you never know....

 

Now, at 39, the former Toronto Blue Jays star says he’s not thinking about retirement just yet.

 

In an interview with MLB.com’s Nathalie Alonso, Bautista, who hasn’t played in the majors since 2018, said he doesn’t really know what will happen next in his career, but he doesn’t feel like he needs to retire right away.

 

“I don’t think that’s necessary right now,” Bautista told Alonso. “I haven’t given it much thought. I haven’t considered it yet.”

 

The Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, native says he’s enjoying life while awaiting the next chapter of his career.

 

“I’m focused on spending a lot of time with my family,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. I can’t predict the future. I don’t really know what will happen with my career.”

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boras: Free agents are going to look differently at Blue Jays after Ryu signing

 

Super agent Scott Boras is confident the Toronto Blue Jays have now changed the perception the club is unwilling to spend money following the signing of his client, Hyun-Jin Ryu.

 

"I think in next year’s round of free agency there’s going to be people looking at this team a lot differently than they did two years ago," Boras said Friday during Ryu's introductory press conference in Toronto, according to Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun.

 

Boras admitted the Korean left-hander was intrigued by what the Blue Jays offered beyond the four-year, $80-million pact.

 

"He said I want to come here to be a winner, I want to come here to be a leader," the agent said.

 

Boras also praised the team's ownership group, Rogers Communications, for giving Toronto's front office the green light to spend.

 

"I think it’s really about winning," he said. "The wealthiest ownership group in baseball sits right here."

 

The tone of the comments is a dramatic change from last offseason when Boras criticized the roster for a dip in attendance at the Rogers Centre, citing the Blue Jays' inability to bring in attractive names.

 

Meanwhile, Ryu, the National League Cy Young runner-up in 2019, instantly endeared himself to the Blue Jays faithful on Friday.

 

 

The 32-year-old led all qualified starters with a 2.32 ERA while with the Los Angeles Dodgers last season.


https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1914580

Edited by ChuckNORRIS4Cup
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-officially-sign-yamaguchi-to-two-year-dollar635-million-contract/ar-BBYqhoP?ocid=spartandhp

 

TORONTO — The Toronto Blue Jays have agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Shun Yamaguchi on a two-year contract worth $6.350 million, the team announced Saturday.

The 32 year old pitched 170.0 innings with a 2.91 ERA, 60 walks, and 188 strikeouts over 26 starts for the Yomiuri Giants of Nippon Professional Baseball in Japan last season.

Yamaguchi has played 14 seasons professionally in Japan, where he owns a 64-58 record and a 3.35 ERA over his 427 total appearances for Yokohama, DeNA and Yomiuri.

The native of Nakatsu, Japan was made available to all MLB clubs this off-season after being posted by his Japanese team.

Yamaguchi is set to become the sixth Japanese-born player to play for the Blue Jays, and the fourth pitcher to do so, joining Mike Nakamura (2004), Tomo Ohka (2007), and Ryota Igarashi (2012).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Boras: Free agents are going to look differently at Blue Jays after Ryu signing

 

Super agent Scott Boras is confident the Toronto Blue Jays have now changed the perception the club is unwilling to spend money following the signing of his client, Hyun-Jin Ryu.

 

"I think in next year’s round of free agency there’s going to be people looking at this team a lot differently than they did two years ago," Boras said Friday during Ryu's introductory press conference in Toronto, according to Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun.

 

Boras admitted the Korean left-hander was intrigued by what the Blue Jays offered beyond the four-year, $80-million pact.

 

"He said I want to come here to be a winner, I want to come here to be a leader," the agent said.

 

Boras also praised the team's ownership group, Rogers Communications, for giving Toronto's front office the green light to spend.

 

"I think it’s really about winning," he said. "The wealthiest ownership group in baseball sits right here."

 

The tone of the comments is a dramatic change from last offseason when Boras criticized the roster for a dip in attendance at the Rogers Centre, citing the Blue Jays' inability to bring in attractive names.

 

Meanwhile, Ryu, the National League Cy Young runner-up in 2019, instantly endeared himself to the Blue Jays faithful on Friday.

 

 

The 32-year-old led all qualified starters with a 2.32 ERA while with the Los Angeles Dodgers last season.


https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/1914580

I didn't even know Boras was Ryu's agent. Glad he's working with the Jays again, he has a lot of big clients.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/28/2019 at 1:23 PM, Xbox said:

I didn't even know Boras was Ryu's agent. Glad he's working with the Jays again, he has a lot of big clients.

Yeah neither did I, but I also don't even know half of his clients because he has so many lol. I'll be honest not a big fan of Boras, yes he gets the job done for his clients normally, but he really can handcuff an organization doing it though. He can normally get teams to pay top dollar or overpay for his clients that's why he's good at his job, but don't get me wrong it's good what he's saying, but he doesn't care to have his clients take a cut to add more depth for a team, hence that's not his job, so acquiring his clients could limit how many you can acquire in the long run, just got to be careful with him.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is going to sting a bit for the more nostalgic Jays fans....

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/white-sox-announce-one-year-12m-deal-edwin-encarnacion/

Quote

 

The Chicago White Sox announced on Thursday the team has agreed to a one-year, $12-million deal with veteran slugger Edwin Encarnacion.

The contract includes a $12-million club option for 2021 which does not include a buyout.

 

“Edwin is a professional hitter, someone who makes each and every at-bat count,” White Sox general manager Rick Hahn said in a team statement. “His long track record of power is impressive and as a veteran run producer, Edwin adds another threatening bat to our lineup, lengthening our batting order and increasing Rick Renteria’s offensive options on any given night.”

Encarnacion, 37, hit .244/.344/.531 (102-418) with 34 home runs, 86 RBI and 81 runs scored over 109 games last season with the Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees. The 2019 campaign marked his eighth straight season with 30 home runs or more, the longest active streak in the majors.

There were reports of mutual interest for a reunion between Encarnacion and the Toronto Blue Jays this off-season before the latter agreed to a contract with infielder Travis Shaw on Dec. 22. Encarnacion reportedly agreed to terms with the White Sox three days later.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jays' catcher in a bit of trouble:

 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/police-blue-jays-reese-mcguire-arrested-for-exposure-of-sexual-organs/ar-BBZVwPR?li=AAggNb9

 

Quote

 

Toronto Blue Jays catcher Reese McGuire was arrested last weekend for the exposure of sexual organs and given a notice to appear in court, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office.

The incident in question occurred Friday afternoon in a public parking lot outside a Dunedin strip mall, when a subject was seen inside an SUV exposing himself.

McGuire is due to appear at the Criminal Court Complex in Clearwater on March 16.

The Blue Jays released the following statement on the matter Wednesday.

The Toronto Blue Jays are aware of the recent police incident involving catcher Reese McGuire. He has been in communication with the Blue Jays and we are working to gather more information. Out of respect for the legal process, neither he nor the club will comment any further at this time.

 

Not to downplay the severity of this incident, but it makes for some pretty awesome headlines:

 

"Reese's Pieces"

"Jays' catcher goes balls out!"

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2020 Rule Changes Released

 

Quote

Major League Baseball made its rule changes for the 2020 season official on Wednesday.

There are four categories of rules going into effect: the three-batter minimum for pitchers, roster limits, adjustments to the injured list and option periods for pitchers and two-way players, and a reduction in the time managers have to challenge a play. All but one of these changes -- the one addressing manager challenges -- had been publicly reported prior to Wednesday, but now they are all locked in.

Here's a breakdown of each rule change.

THREE-BATTER MINIMUM:
This is the big one that's been grabbing the headlines since it was first reported.

All pitchers -- both starters and relievers -- now have to face at least three batters (or pitch until the inning is over) before they come out of a game. The only exception is an injury or illness that prevents the pitcher from being able to finish his three batters.

The main effect of this rule will be on specialist relievers, who are often used for only one batter to give their team a favorable matchup -- for example, a left-handed pitcher who faces only left-handed hitters, whom he is most likely to get out (often nicknamed a “LOOGY,” for “left-handed one-out guy”). There will be no more of that in 2020. The rule could also impact teams that use openers -- typical relievers who start a game to match up specifically against the top of the opposing order. Now, an opener would have to face at least three batters even if he has a bad matchup in that run.

The three-batter rule goes into effect in Spring Training on March 12.

ROSTER LIMITS:
There are five parts to the roster limits rule change:

26-man rosters -- Teams' active rosters are being increased from 25 to 26 players for the regular season (through Aug. 31) and during the postseason. Teams are limited to carrying a maximum of 13 pitchers.

Smaller rosters in September -- MLB is adjusting the size of September rosters to 28 players, including a max of 14 pitchers.

Previously, when rosters expanded in September, any player on a team's 40-man roster could be added to the Major League club. And while teams usually didn’t use all 40, it was common to see 30-plus players active for a given game in the final month of the season. That often caused longer games in September with teams using a lot more relief pitchers or pinch-hitters in certain situations than they would have been able to with normal roster sizes.

Two-way player designation -- A "two-way player" -- someone who both hits and pitches -- is now an official designation. That lets them stay on the roster as a position player and pitch in games without counting toward their team's 13-pitcher pitcher limit. If you designate someone a two-way player, they have to stay that way through the end of the year.

This is for players like the Angels' Shohei Ohtani, a starting pitcher and designated hitter, and the Reds' Michael Lorenzen, who appears as a reliever and also plays the outfield. True two-way players essentially hadn't been seen in the Major Leagues since the days of Babe Ruth until Ohtani arrived from Japan in 2018.

Players have to meet certain criteria to qualify as two-way players -- in either the current MLB season or the previous one, they have to pitch at least 20 innings in the Majors and start at least 20 games as a position player or DH where they bat three or more times.

The two-way player designation for 2020 also allows players who met the requirements in 2018 to qualify this season. So Ohtani, who didn't pitch last year because of Tommy John surgery but did pitch as a rookie in '18, can still be named a two-way player for the Angels right away.

Position players pitching -- Position players are allowed to pitch only if a game goes to extra innings, or if their team is winning or losing by more than six runs. During normal circumstances in a nine-inning game, only the team's 13 designated pitchers -- or two-way players -- are allowed to pitch.

Teams were using position player pitchers more than ever before in the past couple of seasons. In 2019, more than 50 different position players pitched in at least one game, generally so teams could save their pitchers' arms if they felt a game was out of hand.

The 27th man -- What used to be the "26th man" is now a "27th man" thanks to the new 26-man roster size.

Teams used to be able to call up an extra player in special circumstances -- mainly for a doubleheader. They still can ... that player is now just the 27th on the roster, not the 26th. Teams are allowed to call up a 14th pitcher for these games.

INJURED LIST AND OPTION PERIODS:
Pitchers and two-way players are returning to a 15-day injured list. That is, once they're placed on the IL, they can't be reinstated for 15 days.

The injured list used to be 15 days for all players until the 2017 season, when it was reduced to 10 days. Position players will still have a 10-day IL under the new rules.

Additionally, pitchers who are optioned to the Minor Leagues now have to remain there for 15 days rather than 10. The option period for position players is still 10 days.

CHALLENGE TIME:
Managers now only have 20 seconds to decide to challenge a play instead of 30.

That shortens the amount of time they have to get information about video replays, which might allow them to figure out if they'd win a challenge before they actually challenge the play. Of the changes that were announced on Wednesday, this is the only one that hadn’t previously been reported publicly.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-rule-changes-for-2020-season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony Fernandez has passed away, 57 years old.    :(

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/blue-jays-icon-tony-fernandez-passes-away-at-age-57/ar-BB102Var?ocid=spartandhp

 

Tony Fernandez, who spent 12 seasons with the Toronto Blue Jays and was a member of Toronto’s World Series-winning team in 1993, has died at age 57, according to various reports, including MLB’s official Spanish-language Twitter account.

Fernandez was hospitalized earlier this year due to complications from kidney disease, and was placed in a medically induced coma. After initially showing signs of improvement, Fernandez suffered a stroke, according to MLB Insider Hector Gomez, and was reportedly taken off life support.

He is survived by his wife, Clara Fernandez.

Fernandez leads the Blue Jays in multiple categories, including all-time hits (1,583), singles (1,160), triples (72) and games played (1,450). More than an impressive offensive player, he was known for his defence as well, winning four straight Gold Glove Awards with the Blue Jays from 1986-89.

Fernandez was inducted into the Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame in St. Marys, Ont., in 2008.

—With files from The Canadian Press

  • Hydration 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sad news about Fernandez.....but after the report a few weeks ago, I think we all knew this was coming.

 

RIP, Tony....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ReggieBush:

 

Here's my idea for a Yankees promotional night:

 

The first time the Astros visit Yankee stadium, the first 10,000 fans get a mini trash can lid and a mini bat. Then, whenever an Astro batter comes to the plate, they bash the hell out of them....

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

@ReggieBush:

 

Here's my idea for a Yankees promotional night:

 

The first time the Astros visit Yankee stadium, the first 10,000 fans get a mini trash can lid and a mini bat. Then, whenever an Astro batter comes to the plate, they bash the hell out of them....

Yankees affiliate in I believe Trenton did that. Chapman is just going to put a ball in Altuve's ear

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

Yankees affiliate in I believe Trenton did that. Chapman is just going to put a ball in Altuve's ear

And he'd deserve it, but Manfred has already warned teams against doing that. You don't want to lose AC for any length of time...

 

Definitely, you want your boys sliding hard into second, whether Altuve or Correa is covering....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

And he'd deserve it, but Manfred has already warned teams against doing that. You don't want to lose AC for any length of time...

 

Definitely, you want your boys sliding hard into second, whether Altuve or Correa is covering....

We are going to run away with the division so it doesn't really matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.