The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Toronto Blue Jays Major League Baseball thread

The Stork

On 2/13/2020 at 8:36 AM, nucklehead said:

Three Batter Minimum - FINALLY. This has been needed for years. 1 pitcher pitches 7 innings...6 more finish the game - on each side! I admit I lost my interest in following the game to a degree because the last 3 innings ground the game to a halt. 

Everyone who are livid at the Astros players’ for sign stealing ............ are still ignoring their split stats AWAY from Minute Maid Park, during the season. Which are near identical (some better) than playing at Minute Maid Park.

These are some valid points I made in the Astros’ sign stealing thread, that people seem to ignore.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:38 AM, shiznak said:

Exactly, the only advantage of knowing the next pitch (whether it’d be a fastball or an off-speed pitch) for the batter is their timing, but that doesn’t make them make contact with the ball.

I dug a lot deeper and compared the Astro’s home stats and away stats from that season. 

Home:

Plate app. - 3009
Avg - .279

Runs - 395

Hits - 759

HRs - 117

SLG% - .472

Away:

Plate app. - 3262

Avg - .284

Runs - 501

Hits - 827

HRs - 123

SLG% - .483

As you can see, away from Minute Made Park, without the technology of stealing signs. They are just as good, if not better, than playing at home.

On 1/17/2020 at 12:58 PM, shiznak said:

Does it matter, they were apparently cheating throughout the entire season, but here are the stats anyways. 

Home:

Plate app. - 297

Avg - .273

Hits - 81

Runs - 51

HRs - 18

SLG% - .519

Away:

Plate app. -  308

Avg - .209

Hits - 54

Runs - 27

HRs - 9

SLG% - .347

Obviously, it’s a drop off compared to the regular season, but any player in any sports can tell you that it’s a lot harder to win a playoff game on the road then at home. Despite the poor stats, they were still 2nd in hits, home runs, and runs scored on the road, during that playoff run.

Ironically, no other team had a better stat line on the road then at home, with the exception of the Dodgers. They played a lot better away from Dodgers Stadium.

On 1/17/2020 at 1:48 PM, shiznak said:

Alright, let’s compared stats to other star players from a different team that playoff year.

Home:

Gregoruis - .368/7 hits/3 Runs/1HR/4RBI/.684 SLG - 19 AB

Judge - .333/7H/7R/3HRs/10RBI/.903 - 24 AB

Sanchez - .292/7H/3R/2HR/6RBI/.625 - 21 AB

Seager  -  .303/7H/4R/1HR/5RBI/.522 - 23 AB
Turner - .300/9H/3R/3HR/10RBI/.600 - 30 AB

Puig - .321./9H/3R/2HR/7RBI/.679 - 28 AB

Away:

Gregoruis - .175/5H/2R/2HR/3RBI/.379 SLG - 29 AB

Judge - .074/2H/2R/1HR/1RBI/.185  - 27 AB

Sanchez - .138/2H/2R/1HR/2RBI/.241  - 29 AB

Seager - .133/2H/3R/4RBI/.200 - 15 AB

Turner - . 269/7H/5R/1HR/2RBI/.462 - 26 AB

Puig - .250/7H/5R/1HR/3RBI/.357 - 28 AB

I didn’t do Bellinger’s stats because he played significantly better away then at home. Bryant, Rizzo, and Baez, pretty much sucked throughout the entire playoffs (although Baez played better away then at home) and statistically their home and away split stats had very little differences. Harper and Rendon played better at home, but only played 5 games. So, I didn’t bother putting their stats out there. 

John Olerud's daughter dies at 19 yrs old. :( Guy would have hit over .400 if he was just a little bit faster from home to first.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/john-oleruds-daughter-jordan-dies-at-19-after-battling-rare-disease/ar-BB10Btri?ocid=spartandhp

ormer MLB All-Star John Olerud’s daughter has died after battling a rare disease since birth.

Olerud’s daughter Jordan was born with a rare chromosomal disease. The Olerud family announced on Sunday that Jordan has died. She was 19.

So sad to hear about the passing of Jordan Olerud. To honor John, Kelly and Jordan you can contribute at https://t.co/AwscdBRNyv. Services for Jordan will be this Saturday. pic.twitter.com/Q9HZYlqC0i

— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) March 1, 2020

Olerud and his wife Kelly have dedicated much of their lives to helping families of children with special needs. Jordan was born in August 2000, and John and Kelly launched the Jordan Fund in 2003.

Olerud was an extremely popular player during his MLB career both on and off the diamond. He batted .295 and piled up more than 2,000 hits from 1989 to 2005. Our thoughts are with him and his family during this difficult time.

21 hours ago, gurn said:

John Olerud's daughter dies at 19 yrs old. :( Guy would have hit over .400 if he was just a little bit faster from home to first.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/mlb/john-oleruds-daughter-jordan-dies-at-19-after-battling-rare-disease/ar-BB10Btri?ocid=spartandhp

ormer MLB All-Star John Olerud’s daughter has died after battling a rare disease since birth.

Olerud’s daughter Jordan was born with a rare chromosomal disease. The Olerud family announced on Sunday that Jordan has died. She was 19.

So sad to hear about the passing of Jordan Olerud. To honor John, Kelly and Jordan you can contribute at https://t.co/AwscdBRNyv. Services for Jordan will be this Saturday. pic.twitter.com/Q9HZYlqC0i

— Jay Horwitz (@Jay_HorwitzPR) March 1, 2020

Olerud and his wife Kelly have dedicated much of their lives to helping families of children with special needs. Jordan was born in August 2000, and John and Kelly launched the Jordan Fund in 2003.

Olerud was an extremely popular player during his MLB career both on and off the diamond. He batted .295 and piled up more than 2,000 hits from 1989 to 2005. Our thoughts are with him and his family during this difficult time.

As a parent, there's nothing worse than having to bury a child....even if they're technically adults.

Sounds like poor Jordan never really had much of a life. My heart goes out to the best pure hitter ever to pull on the Jays uni....

RIP Jordan.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hall-of-Fame Pitcher Roy Halladay Was on Drugs When Plane Crashed

Halladay was using his Icon A5 to do extreme acrobatics prior to losing control of the plane

Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies delivers a pitch in 2010. (Jim McIsaac/Getty)
Roy Halladay of the Philadelphia Phillies delivers a pitch in 2010. (Jim McIsaac/Getty)

By Evan Bleier / April 16, 2020 9:43 am

At the time of his fatal small plane crash in November of 2017 off the coast of Florida, Hall-of-Fame pitcher Roy Halladay had drugs in his system, according to a National Transportation Safety Board report issued Wednesday.

In addition to a high level of amphetamine, Halladay’s blood also contained heightened levels of morphine and an anti-depressant that can impair judgment.

The NTSB report also found Halladay was using his Icon A5 to do extreme acrobatics prior to losing control of the plan, including steep climbs and tight turns that sometimes brought the aircraft within five feet of the water below.

During his final maneuver, Halladay entered a steep climb that dropped the plane’s speed to about 85 miles per hour. That drop sent the propeller-driven plane into a nosedive into the ocean.

While the report doesn’t state why the 40-year-old lost control of the two-seat aircraft or list a cause for the crash, it does say he died of blunt force trauma and drowning, citing a medical examiner.

Inducted into the Hall of Fame posthumously last year, Halladay was an eight-time All-Star and two-time Cy Young Award winner with the Blue Jays and Phillies, going 203-105 with a 3.38 ERA during his 16 years in the majors.

His widow Brandy responded to the NTSB’s report through comments released by Major League Baseball:

“Yesterday’s NTSB report on Roy’s accident was painful for our family, as it has caused us to relive the worst day of our lives. It has reinforced what I have previously stated, that no one is perfect. Most families struggle in some capacity and ours was no exception. We respectfully ask that you not make assumptions or pass judgement. Rather, we encourage you to hug your loved ones and appreciate having them in your lives. As a family, we ask that you allow Roy to rest in peace.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So last year I went to Nashville to watch the Titans play.  Vanderbilt is in Nashville and we were staying basically right next to the campus. We were walking around and saw where they play baseball.  Noticed a few guys were hanging around about the hit some balls. Looked them up and noticed Martin was a top prospect. Talked to him briefly, and figured I would focus on him to see where his career goes.  Love that he goes to the Jays. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

So last year I went to Nashville to watch the Titans play.  Vanderbilt is in Nashville and we were staying basically right next to the campus. We were walking around and saw where they play baseball.  Noticed a few guys were hanging around about the hit some balls. Looked them up and noticed Martin was a top prospect. Talked to him briefly, and figured I would focus on him to see where his career goes.  Love that he goes to the Jays. 

We're lucky he slid down to us.  It seemed like he was the consensus number 2 pick.

55 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

We're lucky he slid down to us.  It seemed like he was the consensus number 2 pick.

When we there we said I wonder if Vanderbilt has any good prospects and we looked it up and saw Austin Martin at the time was #1.  Today we were talking about it and said wouldn’t it be cool if he fell to us.  Didn’t think it would happen but here we are. 

4 minutes ago, gmen81 said:

When we there we said I wonder if Vanderbilt has any good prospects and we looked it up and saw Austin Martin at the time was #1.  Today we were talking about it and said wouldn’t it be cool if he fell to us.  Didn’t think it would happen but here we are. 

One of my good friends, he actually pitched last year for Okanagan.  He was pumped that Martin fell to us.

Edited by BoKnows