The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we sign a goalie this off season...?

Canucks35

Folks something that really bugs me is we don't have a proven number one goalie but have a team that with a few tweaks I believe is a contender...maybe with a free agent signing or two of course.

So do we continue on with Eddie Lack or do we sign someone like Brian Elliot or Jonas Hiller through free agency. And if we chose to stay with Eddie then we might as well get rid of core players such as Kesler and any other unnecessary vets. that don't contribute to future success. However I think that would be foolish because we have the key players who have had a tough year and of course injuries are a major factor as well, even though I hate using that word INJURIES as a excuse because you look at Chicago and how they have battled without key players Toews and Kane.

My "Contending" Lineup:

D.Sedin-Kesler-Moulson

Burrows-H.Sedin-Jensen

Booth-Horvat-Kassian

Richardson-Santo.-Matthias (Hansen, Sestito)

Edler- Bieksa

Hamhuis-Blank (Replace Garrison with Ehrhoff like player)

P.Ranger-Corrado/Stanton

B.Elliot

E.Lack (Send Markstrom down to Utica)

Of course the chances of us having the lineup next season is about as slim as making the playoffs, but one can dream right ? :P Also first post so I apologize if this rookie has made a mistake anywhere.

I don't think cdc really grasps how high Markstroms ceiling is and how mistreated he was in Florida. As much as I don't think Lack was ready to start this year, I think he will do quite alright next year.

His numbers aren't terrible, it's just becoming the starter while the Canucks were struggling brought his numbers back down to earth. I think he will be a .915->.925~ SV% goalie over his career.

If any goalie gets brought in here it's Hiller or Miller, and if they get signed, you better believe that it would be Lack that would be traded... Probably to somewhere like Minnesota

How about playing Markstrom for a couple of games before we condemn him to Utica first?

Hmm.. Right now it seems as if Markstorm doesn't even exist, as if we only traded Luongo for Shawn Matthias. But I am sure the two goalies will compete again either for starting or backup sometime just before the season, but I see Lack getting the upperhand especially if Torts is still around.

I'd like a veteran back up I think. Someone to take a bit of the weight but not all of it off eddies shoulders.

I want Eddie to be the guy, with a guy on the bench to be a bit of a mentor and help him along for a year or 2. Then when Eddie hits his mental prime, you can move markstrom behind him.

Who knows, maybe markstrom blows the roof off Rogers building next year and we gotta waive the vet while Eddie backs him up. Either way signing a vet won't hurt, even if we gotta waive him in the end. Just don't go all in for for a 4 million dollar guy.

Ya tenth in save % with .922

2nd in GAA with 1.93

and 8th in shutouts this year with 4 really sucks

Oh and last year

.907 /2.28

Year prior

.940 1.56

those are really sucky numbers

:picard:

Would really appreciate it if people stopped posting statistics and facts and just listened to the media... it's starting to get absurd..

Thanks in advance

Would really appreciate it if people stopped posting statistics and facts and just listened to the media... it's starting to get absurd..

Thanks in advance

Please just stop. Media is slowly ruining the game.

They are way too opinionated and care more about the spotlight than covering the actual story.

Regardless of where a player is playing and what system is implemented, I will take statistics over the media any day.

Ya tenth in save % with .922

2nd in GAA with 1.93

and 8th in shutouts this year with 4 really sucks

Oh and last year

.907 /2.28

Year prior

.940 1.56

those are really sucky numbers

:picard:

Your kidding right!? He plays on one of the best teams in the league and behind arguably the best defense in the league. I believe it was the Kings that exposed him during the playoffs last year or the year before...

Archived