The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bob Nicholson in Vancouver

Rush17

can we fire the aquilini's ?

totally gutless moves , installing the dumbest coach in the league and then hanging gillis because of it . not to mention the robongo fiasco

quit screwing with my team and stick to real estate

No, Tortorella did a great job considering. AV would certainly not have faired better. Injuries are due to the realignment; playing those new Pacific Division teams exposed the Canucks for what they are.

MG failed to bring in scoring three years in a row. Couldn't score in that last game against Boston and that was the start of the year after year decline.

You can't let Salo, Ehrhoff, Malholtra, Lapierre, Roy, Torres and many others go and half replace them.

So now the Canucks have a youth coach who has already started to turn Kassians out of rookies. Hope Tortorella stays and turns more rookies into their potential.

I'd put more stock in Nicholson (he at least has a excellent track record as head of Hockey Canada - he knows the development process) than in Jay Feaster coming to Vancouver. I don't put any stock in anything Team 1040 says. I'll say it that I'd prefer Bob Nicholson over Feaster any day of the week.

But it isn't going to make me turn my back on the Canucks if they bring in Feaster. Just grit my teeth and bear it.

I'm a 43 year fan going on 44. I'm not abandoning this team. Canuck fan through thick and thin. And I've seen quite a bit of bad times. I've had it with the "Fire Torts" and "I'm gonna jump off this ship if Feaster comes in" bandwagon fans. You wanna jump off the team bandwagon, then go ahead and burn your jerseys and don't look back. Like Bieksa, I'm going down with the ship. You ain't seen bad till you've seen Jake Milford or Jack Gordon which *gasp* were even worse than Keenan.

No, Tortorella did a great job considering. AV would certainly not have faired better. Injuries are due to the realignment; playing those new Pacific Division teams exposed the Canucks for what they are.

MG failed to bring in scoring three years in a row. Couldn't score in that last game against Boston and that was the start of the year after year decline.

You can't let Salo, Ehrhoff, Malholtra, Lapierre, Roy, Torres and many others go and half replace them.

So now the Canucks have a youth coach who has already started to turn Kassians out of rookies. Hope Tortorella stays and turns more rookies into their potential.

I'm sorry we have two back to back art ross trophy winners, this team has enough scoring, we just need a system that plays offence and geared towards skill. It's no coincidence that canucks are 28th in the league for goals per game this year and that Sedin, sedin, and burrows all went through terrible slumps in the same year.

PS "three" years ago canucks were top 5 in goals per game

Torts is not the right coach for this team. He's not a skill, puck possession coach, he's a dump and chase, grind it out coach.

FTG,

What makes a team successful is how your division is made up. If you got a division that's made up of big bodies who bang you into the boards to keep you off the puck, what the hell is skill, puck possession going to do for you if they keep battering you and get you off your game. This is what we've been seeing all season this year in the Pacific Division. And let me guess, you're going to compare them to Chicago who is in the Central which is a whole different animal of a division all together. Anaheim's made up of big bodies, San Jose's made up of big bodies who know how to work a physical game. The Kings also have big guys who play physical.

So the three top teams in the Pacific Division bang and crash and you're saying that we have to go "skill, puck posession". What we need are big bodies who can crash with them in order to "keep puck possession" and are able to move bodies out of the way so that our skill players have room to make the play.

Yeah...OK...Forsberg. Whatever you say. (Sorry, don't play hockey, but my kid does and I've got two 20/20 vision eyes and a brain).

Nicholson as President would certainly give us a sense of security moving forward. I would love for Linden to join our organization but I think a lot of fans would be a bit nervous about his ability to find the right GM. We know for a fact Nicholson can find us a respected, tried, and tested GM. Having someone with such rich history would attract a lot of interest from potential GM's (including current assistants). I will support whoever is selected to be President I just hope Feaster isn't our GM.

Honestly I would only want him as president, but not GM.

President- Bob Nicholson

VP- Trevor Linden

GM- Lightning AGM/Red Wings AGM/Boston AGM

AGM- Laurence Gilman

Coach- Kevin Dineen

Assistant Coaches- Peter Laviollete, ?

Keep Torts, this season was NOT his fault.

Keep Torts, this season was NOT his fault.

This was without a doubt,the most boring hockey I have witnessed as a fan since 1987.

Torts has no system other than dump the puck out and block shot,shots,shots....and if that fails yell and bench players.Fire his ass ASAP!

This firing is just smoke and mirrors. Anyone that thinks that hiring a new GM is going to suddenly morph this team into a team that can win the Cup is dumber than a brick. The last time I checked, Gm's don't score goals!

Gillis brought in a start of a decent group of young players in Horvat, Shinkaruk, Jensen (who many on CDC called a bust last year), Corrado etc as well as bringing in players like Tambellini who have met or exceeded expectations. Gillis was also a victim of the reduced capspace and anyone other than a magician could not have dealt with that much differently than Mike did. The result this year was mostly caused by a raft of injuries to key players.

That said, this firing is just like throwing a bag of firecrackers into a group of disillusioned fans to get them all excited and hopeful. I hope we dont look back and regret this day! Be careful what you wish for!

mike gillis's inexperience was glaring and it resulted in two quick exits from the playoffs from a team he inherited ( burke - nonis ) that went to the scf only three years ago and finally no playoff at all, mr. acqulinni had no other choice.

c'mon everybody mike gillis on his own contributed more to failure than success, i can not emphasize enough that he inherited a very strong club made a few key moves with that strength to get us into the finals in 2011 and when that cycle of talent began to erode or lose chemistry his work showed up in spades, no playoffs.

trevor linden is also inexperienced, case closed he's not the answer! feaster has the experience but his resume is more suited for a small market team where he can hide his flaws, i certainly don't wanna have him to pick it up from here.

bob nicholson is so well connected internationally, locally and armed with so many connections to talent and shrewd hockey minds he would be an obvoius choice to run any nhl team, he has experience at all levels of hockey and seems to me he should be at the top of the short list.

Archived