The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Owners are handcuffing the team

TheRussianRocket.

*Note to mods: this is not a hate message to the Aquilini owners so please leave this topic open for discussion amongst users*

The Aquilini family is running the show here. As obvious as that may sound since they are the owners, but they aren't allowing the people in position to do their jobs and it's stopping the the progress of this organization. They are restricting what and whatnot the GM can do as reported on deadline and ultimately, they are in it for the money and revenue.

It's crystal clear with today's news. Is it a coincidence April 9th is deadline for season ticket renewals? Couldn't they have waited 3 more games till the end of the season to fire MG and then make the announcement? Well they never and it's because it will give hope for season ticket holders to renew. It really is economics and it's really sad and pathetic when you realize this.

The Aquilini owners want as much revenue as possible and that means playoffs. They don't really care if this team is a contender or a pretender, they just want to bring in money and playoff hockey. If the team won't make the playoffs, someone is bound to cut fired and in this case it was Gillis - arguably the best GM in Canucks franchise history. One year they don't make the post-season and they cut him loose; speaks volumes of the type of people running this team. Gillis took into consideration this team was past it's prime and realized it was time for a reset for the better of the team. Aquilini's translate that as no playoffs for possibly another year and can't stand a cut-off of playoff revenue. Gillis had a plan in mind and Aquilini's practically didn't care for the long term success of this team and want short term solutions. They don't care about the future, they care about the now and it doesn't matter how weak of a playoff team we will be, they just want us making it and don't care afterwards how far we go.

Because of this, this franchise will undoubtedly never see a dynasty with this ownership group because they don't have the patience. They don't understand a couple seasons to reset will give us many years of succes yet moreso are pleased if there is money flowing in their pockets. It's a damn shame and knowing how much Gillis did, there are only a select few people capable of upping MG at the GM position, only 2 I know being Bob Nicholson and Pat Quinn who ironically will be inducted into the ring of honour April 13. Anyone else and it's a downgrade and it's a huge mistake and one which fans will feel for years to come unless an unexpected candidate takes over with a very good reputation.

...fire the coaches, GMs, presidents, etc but as long as the Aquilini owners have this mindset and approach, we will never be a juggernaut.

This is pretty much what I said in the other thread and I agree.

I feel this is a message to season ticket holders: "we hear you, we're doing something" and is reactionary. The chant last night is a bunch of people who like to be heard...some of whom do have valid points and either side can be argued at this stage. Change was in order, however, I too feel the owners aren't making moves so much to better the team than to better the image of the team and to keep people interested. They tapped into the uneasiness and saw that people were dropping away...that called for something to happen I guess. Corporate ticket holders don't know what's best for this team...they don't even care half the time. But they pay for tickets, so owners must appease them and keep those seats sold.

Doesn't mean they'll get a better product, just that they'll show up long enough to see. Marketing.

The future is uncertain but, with that, now people can talk, speculate, think about and, to some degree, show some excitement. Those who have a need to constantly cry out for this that and the other will get "change" now. However, whether that remains to be positive or not is yet to be determined.

I'm rather skeptical and reserved at this point. Scrambling for answers isn't a good thing. I think MG had a few years to tinker and was finally getting to "know" what direction to lead this team in. Now we start from square one again.

If they wanted short-term solutions then I guess buying the Comets was just for show?

Why spend any money at all on scouting/player development if you're just focused on the now?

Not only that, but why not force Gillis' hand and trade picks/prospects for immediate help this season to make the playoffs at all costs?

Things just don't quite fit together with your thoughts, OP.

If they wanted short-term solutions then I guess buying the Comets was just for show?

Why spend any money at all on scouting/player development if you're just focused on the now?

Not only that, but why not force Gillis' hand and trade picks/prospects for immediate help this season to make the playoffs at all costs?

The Comets will turn a profit this year and the next few years at least.

This raises the value of the franchise.

I think you're missing something here.

When you can successfully give a response to why they fired Gillis now and not at seasons end in 3 games with renewal deadline being in 2 days.

...and just right now on TSN, Lebrun just said the same thig. Said it was a business decision moreso than anything with the tickets deadline being in a few days and said it was a reaction to the empty seats in the arena.

Think your the one off here, it's pretty clear why this happened strictly today. Knee-jerk reaction. Only hope is they get an upgrade at the GM position otherwise it's downhill.

I disagree. The Canucks have just freed themselves of the same old mentality that has been a staple mentality for this franchise.

Lots of trades coming up. New GM calling Edler and Kesler once: give me a list.

Wow do you have a magic crystal ball that shows what's going on inside of the heads of the ownership? You think these high end business minds are stupid and care about short term success rather than long term success? You don't know anything and are simply coming up with a bogus conspiracy theory.

Who cares if it was today or on Monday next week? He has made too many mistakes in the last 4 years. Not enough to show for it.

The owners may be meddling, but ultimately it's their team.

I challenge anyone on CDC that if they owned the team they wouldn't be tempted to grab the rudder if they saw the ship heading towards an iceberg.

But if the owners want a team in the playoffs, isn't that a good thing? They could have cut their team's salaries down and made a profit next year even with empty seats.

I could care less WHY they want a playoff team. If they find a GM who can get us to the playoffs every year, I have no beef with it. I don't necessarily agree with the timing of firing Gillis or firing him in general, but the team has become dysfunctional. It should not be a surprise if Kesler expressed a desire to move on. Luongo should not have been surprised to get moved to Florida. The Schneider move shouldn't have surprised Schneider. Gillis has been reactionary himself. Ultimately, that's what cost the team the playoffs this season and his job.

I think Gillis wanted to rebuild this team, which means losing seasons and empty seats at 150 a pop, and that's why he was fired.

The new GM is coming in here to try and patch up the old boat good enough to sail it in to the 7-8 spot for the next 2 or 3 years. Youth movement on hold. This is all about profits.

When you can successfully give a response to why they fired Gillis now and not at seasons end in 3 games with renewal deadline being in 2 days.

...and just right now on TSN, Lebrun just said the same thig. Said it was a business decision moreso than anything with the tickets deadline being in a few days and said it was a reaction to the empty seats in the arena.

Think your the one off here, it's pretty clear why this happened strictly today. Knee-jerk reaction. Only hope is they get an upgrade at the GM position otherwise it's downhill.

Meh. Right now and for the past few months it's just a sickening period of doom 'n gloom and 'there is no hope' crap. I can hop onboard with those feelings to an extent, but at some point you have to have some sortof faith in a team that made the finals just a few years ago.

If Faq were to just sell the team and move on, fine. There will be a taker. At the end of the day the product on the ice isn't magically instantly going to get better in that event. The GM, coach and owner isn't the real problem. The problem is time.

Business owners look to maximize profit over a long term process not short term. Why the hell would they want to try and make the playoffs for one year and then suck for another 5 years? They want this team to be competitive and remain contenders for years to come dontcha think...

Business owners look to maximize profit over a long term process not short term. Why the hell would they want to try and make the playoffs for one year and then suck for another 5 years? They want this team to be competitive and remain contenders for years to come dontcha think...

Hey the Canucks have missed the play-offs once and he's fired how short term is that

Archived