The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Do we want another rookie as our new GM?

Kanucklehead10

First of all, to be fair, I think Gillis did a fairly good job during his tenure as the Canucks General manager. We reached the cup final 3 years ago for the first time in 17 years (Mike was never really praised for that as much as he was cursed for the Goaltending drama) and we were dominant in the league for the most part of his tenure. After the 2011 final, out of this "knee-jerk reaction" he was basically convinced that needs to create a "Boston model" out of this Vancouver team and made some questionable moves (Letting go of Ehrhoff, Torres, trading Hodgson(?)...etc.).The year later with playoffs against the Kings, everything fell apart as we got completely manhandled in that series... he started making more questionable moves and created an unnecessary goaltending soap opera which possibly could've ended faster and better.. only in result to lose both of the goalies and miss the playoffs for the first time (under him). I personally believe his downfall began because he tried to fix and unbroken formula. He tried to change the image of the team, trading what we were good at, in the skill aspect) and make it a team that it just simply isn't built to be. I mean, look at Chicago and how much they've accomplished. They aren't a big, mean, physical team either and yet they've won 2 cups in 4 years.

Although, through this love-hate relationship with fans, I think Gillis exceeded expectations for someone that had no prior experience and completely came out of the blue when he was hired. I mean, honestly, I remember when everyone was rooting for Steve Tambellini to take over for us at the time Nonis was fired because he had "experience"... Thank God that we never had to go through Tambellini as GM....With the mess that the Canucks are in right now, I was just wondering how the response would be if (like the Gillis hiring) another "newbie" was to be our GM? Would the organization take a chance at a rookie again? Would the fanbase accept it? To be honest, I'm not very excited with the crop of "experienced" General managers available to be hired for the Canucks. None seem very appealing. IMO, I think that a perfect candidate that would fit into that "rookie/out of the blue" category (he hasn't really been mentioned or considered here yet) is Ron Hextall. I think this is the type of guy that the Canucks should want because he isn't afraid to be bold, he's ballsy and he's had a record of "behind the scenes" success. He was in Philly during the 2010 cup final and the King's GM even gave Hextall recognition on the major role he did behind the scenes to consult Lombardi in acquiring Mike Richards from Philly, Carter from the Jackets, and Scuderi from the Penguins to lead the Kings to the Stanley cup a couple years back. I personally think now, in this "re-tooling/rebuilding" (whatever the hell you want to call it) stage, there needs to be someone that is not afraid to state his opinion and not afraid to make the big, bold, necessary deals, unlike what people were accusing Gillis of.

You almost get the feeling that folks on CDC are picking their proposed GM on popularity ,rather than solid GM credentials...I don't think ownership should even consider anybody who does not have previous NHL experience....Olympic medals or otherwise.

Well I do care because I want a GM who knows what to do. Being well liked will not make us better if he can't GM properly.

Garth Snow didn't have any experience as a GM and was named one of the candidates for GM of the year, in his first season (by sports illustrated), turning the Islanders around.

What about them?Maybe you should hope the owners aren't as delusional into thinking anyone can be a GM.

You're right not anyone can be GM.....that's where you have assistants to help you.

My theory is, if you played the game long enough, you should know the ins and outs of hockey management.

You're right not anyone can be GM.....that's where you have assistants to help you.

My theory is, if you played the game long enough, you should know the ins and outs of hockey management.

Clearly you haven't been playing the game long enough, then. If you are just getting a rookie, and then have him learn from assistants, why the hell is he the GM in the first place? Why not make him the assistant GM instead?

We need a GM who knows what they are doing, not simply someone that people like. Being liked won't make this team better.

Clearly you haven't been playing the game long enough, then. If you are just getting a rookie, and then have him learn from assistants, why the hell is he the GM in the first place? Why not make him the assistant GM instead?We need a GM who knows what they are doing, not simply someone that people like. Being liked won't make this team better.

Lou Lamoriello with no GM experience prior to being named President and GM of the New Jersey Devils, in 1988. Won three Stanley Cups as GM, GM'ed the 1996 US World Cup Team and 98 Olympic team. Inducted into both the US and Hockey Hall of Fame as a builder.

Who said rookie GMs can't succeed?

Having a good reputation around the league, can make trading a lot easier. Why do you think Gillis kept on getting low balled offers from other GMs (not named Dale Tallon) for his players?

Clearly you haven't been playing the game long enough, then. If you are just getting a rookie, and then have him learn from assistants, why the hell is he the GM in the first place? Why not make him the assistant GM instead?

We need a GM who knows what they are doing, not simply someone that people like. Being liked won't make this team better.

Stevie Y was a rookie was he not?

Archived