The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts has buyout clause and Gillis may also - Total Payout isn't what has been speculated

J529

http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Gallagher+howls+Gillis+lynched/9716113/story.html

When Whitecaps broadcaster Peter Schaad Tuesday suggested Canuck fans should chant ‘Stanley Cup’ at the next game he pretty much captured the essence of the Mike Gillis firing.

With the braying mob chanting for his head Monday after another listless performance, the Aquilini family’s actions less than 24 hours later made it look like they were responding to pressure, although they surely had to be considering their options for a lot longer than that given they have Trevor Linden all set to come in and become president.

And there is a good chance John Tortorella may not survive the purge as well. The word is that Linden will have a clean slate when he comes in, with the power to hire his own GM — Brendan Shanahan and Boston assistant Jim Benning the leading candidates. And the appointed GM will be free to hire his own coach, and it’s not likely to be the guy in place according to sources that indicated Tortorella has a clause in his contract whereby he can be dismissed for a payout considerably less than what is on the contract’s face value if the team is not satisfied with his services.

Furthermore, the source indicated there is a chance Gillis may have had a similar buyout clause for the remaining years on his deal so that the total payout by ownership in this whole affair isn’t what has been speculated publicly up to this point.

Having been dismissed with over three years left to run on his contract, Gillis piloted a team that had missed the playoffs when he took over in 2008 to within one game of the Stanley Cup in 2011. But despite that success, it was pretty clear coming down the stretch this season that he was in deep trouble, based on the fact he didn’t know what was going on with ownership after the trade deadline.

And when you’re not in the loop, it’s never a particularly good sign, as Dave Nonis found out back in 2008 after he made the mistake of missing the playoffs. And if you wanted to give any advice to Linden, it would be this. It’s OK for coaches to miss the playoffs under this ownership, but don’t try it if you’re higher up the chain of command. Nonis and now Gillis have been turfed based on one year’s lost playoff revenue, which has to be a sobering thought to anyone coming in for a kick at reaching ownership’s rightful goal of a Cup.

As for Gillis, he has no regrets. He feels he did the best he could under the circumstances, and with one more win in 2011 he would have been the toast of this town into perpetuity, based on the way every man and his dog from the 1994 team is still celebrated here. It’s true the Canucks nearly lost in Game 7 of the first round that season as well, but they won it. In 2011 they came so very close with one of the strongest teams the NHL has seen this century. The Canucks had the best record, best goals for and against and the best special teams.

But having first lost Manny Malhotra and then numerous bodies during the long playoff run, they were a ghost team in the final against Boston. They had lost so many players to injury and suspension there was simply nobody healthy left on the roster. The team that played Game 7 was a crew of walking zombies.

Under Gillis’s tenure the Canucks went from No. 8 in NHL revenue to No. 2, something the owners actually notice, and the value of the team went from somewhere around $280 million to close to $800 million — on paper at least. So there will be no shortage of opportunities and offers coming Gillis’s way if he wants to get back into hockey at some point, but it’s likely he will take a good while to decompress and take stock of what happened here.

The failing for which he is most vilified is the handling of the goaltending situation, which didn’t go smoothly, but the whole story hasn’t really been chronicled on the record. Roberto Luongo was determined to get back to Florida where his wife’s family runs a pizza place and accepting a deal elsewhere wasn’t going to happen. Sure enough he ended up getting his wish, going where there is no particular pressure to win. The insistence on Florida made moving him almost impossible.

Luongo was the only guy in hockey who appeared not to notice the Panthers were almost bankrupt until they got their new owner recently.

Gillis also wasn’t able to add to the top six forwards, but he built a terrific back end, which unfortunately for him, is playing like a bunch of drunks under this coach, breakaways and two-on-ones happening on a laughably regular basis.

Pat Quinn is going into the team’s Ring of Honour this weekend for making Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final as Canucks coach and GM in 1994 and he eventually left under similar circumstances after a similar term with the team in disarray.

Gillis has been considerably more successful in terms of wins and losses and playoff rounds won, so one day perhaps he’ll receive the same honour. But that will have to wait a bit for the howling of the mob to subside.

Farhan Laji tweeted that out as well, it might be good news to get rid of torts after the season as well... Wouldn't surprise me at all if the team doesn't play to their "potential" so they can get him fired as well either way I'm hoping they fire torts as well :towel:

Farhan Laji tweeted that out as well, it might be good news to get rid of torts after the season as well... Wouldn't surprise me at all if the team doesn't play to their "potential" so they can get him fired as well either way I'm hoping they fire torts as well :towel:

One season under a new coach shouldn't warrant a firing. Especially with all the injuries we've had this year. We never had a chance to ice a full healthy lineup. We don't want to become the next Oilers firing coaches left and right

Why the hell would you want to get rid of Torts just to get Laviolette?

Because he was able to humiliate the cup favorite Penguins in the 2012 playoffs? He was also able make the Bruins look like Playoff Chokers in 2010?

So he does have a strong Playoff Record.

Then again so does Torts.

One season under a new coach shouldn't warrant a firing. Especially with all the injuries we've had this year. We never had a chance to ice a full healthy lineup. We don't want to become the next Oilers firing coaches left and right

I can't stop playing with your sig..

There are all kinds of ins and outs with contracts.

For instance with Torts. 4 years left at what $2 million?

Give Torts 2 options.

Option 1. He is demoted to assistant travel consultant. He will continue to receive his salary for the next 4 years. After 4 years he will not be given an extension. He is free to sign with another team, which will be hard considering he will have been away from coaching for 4 years.

Option 2. Canucks pay him $2 million severance and he is allowed to start talking to other teams as soon as he wants.

Sort of like Toronto with Burke.

I think that I have seen enough of John Tortorella to say..that he was a signifigant part of the problem this year...& not the solution.

While this team was sinking in the standings faster than a stone,... he was skipping practice & absconding to his Point Roberts-USA home, all the while, asking his players to sacrifice & give more! Didn`t he just have a lengthy & unscheduled vacation with his family,... while suspended? He was a freakin' un-disciplined side-show...yet we all saw him or heard him F-bombing mantras of discipline at his players. See the hypocracy?!

Tortorella claims to be a players` coach... who listens as well as he teaches. Huh?! LIke, how well he listened & understood the leadership core... or the fans of this team...& everyone else who saw the signifigance in giving Luongo the start in the Heritage Classic,... as a classy opportunity to honor Lu`s contributions to this team's history & to thank him for his committment to that room...even tho' the current circumstances may be awkward. It could have been a love-fest...instead...Tortorella preferred to core-bust. Torts gave his extra 2-bits of insult & injury to the #1... & that #1's protege...not to mention all of the unnecessary....controversey, distraction & drama! What an arse, eh?! Then & there...I realized the depth of his insensitive disconnect to his players, the size of his ego & his ineptitude...as a player`s coach.

I really hope that Linden is one of the new leaders of this team`s rebuild. He`s a former NHLPA President & Union leader...who obviously cares about the game & the players who play it. This city knows he cares about the people of VanCity. That dressing-room knows, for a surity, that Linden has boat loads of integrity, discipline, sensitivety, and still owns a burning desire to win a Stanley Cup. He`s someone the players will go to the wall for. Does John Tortorella sound like the type of coach...that a guy like Mr. Linden would want to retain? I think NOT. Gillis & Linden are cut of the same cloth on that account. I look forward to the type of team that this iconic Canuck would help to re-build for this market...IF this happens. Stay tuned!

Oh,....hats off to Gillis for getting Torts to sign the equivalent of a pre-nup.

Torts = Defensively minded.

Laviolette = Offensively minded.

Two extremes, but I would rather have the latter if we're being led by the Sedins. He will have them back in elite form.

They are similar coaches. CDC loves to bitch and moan about how angry can be and yelling at players. Laviolette is pretty much the same way.

yeah but his coaching style isn't suited for our team also if you missed it Ray Ferrao said working with torts on TV was hard it was black and white for him in other words he's always right and imagine how he is with the players he's not gonna change his ways of coaching which is gonna result in the same thing next year, even with injuries Sedin's haven't looked this bad in a long time, it makes more sense firing him then have the same train wreck next year

I think I have seen enough of John Tortorella to say..that he was a signifigant part of the problem this year...& not a part of the solution. While the Canucks were sinking in the standing faster than a stone, he was skipping practice to abscond to his Point Roberts -USA home, all the while, asking his players to sacrifice & give more. Didn`t he just have a lengthy & unscheduled vacation with his family, while suspended? He was a freakin' un-disiplined side-show...yet `we heard him preaching & F-bombing mantras of freakin` discipline at his players, heck...not preaching...screamin' it! See the hypocracy & the irony!

Tortorella claimed to be a players` coach... who listens just as well as he teaches. Huh?! LIke, how well he listened or understood the leadership core & the fans of this hockey team...who saw the greater signifigance of giving Luongo that start in the Heritage Classic, as a classy opportunity to honor Lu`s contributions to this team & thank him for his committment to that room...even tho the current circumstances were awkward. It could have been a love-fest & a fence mending...instead...Tortorella prefered to core-bust & incert his extra 2-bits of insult & drama. What an arse! Then & there...I realized the depth of his insensitive disconnect...his ego & ineptitude...as a player`s coach.

I hope Linden is a leader of this team`s rebuild. He`s a former NHLPA President & Union leader...who obviously cares about the game & the players who play it. This city knows he cares about people & VanCity. That dressing-room knows for a surity that Linden has boat loads of integrity, discipline, sensitivety, and still owns a burning desire to win a Stanley Cup. He`s someone the players will go to the wall for. But - does it sound like it to you...that John Tortorella would be the type of coach...that a guy like Mr. Linden would want to retain. I think NOT. Gillis & Linden are cut of the same cloth...on that account, & I look forward to the type of team that this very iconic Canuck would help to re-build for this market...IF this happens. Stay tuned, folks!

Funny, considering we were having problems before Torts came aboard. Do you hate AV too, since he couldn't get that crap team to do better the last two years?

yeah but his coaching style isn't suited for our team also if you missed it Ray Ferrao said working with torts on TV was hard it was black and white for him in other words he's always right and imagine how he is with the players he's not gonna change his ways of coaching which is gonna result in the same thing next year, even with injuries Sedin's haven't looked this bad in a long time, it makes more sense firing him then have the same train wreck next year

Torts took over for Tampa in 2000-01 and they only won 12 of the 43 games he coached, they finished 14th in the east

3 years later they won the cup with him.

He definitely deserves at least one more year here, he didn't create this mess he inherited it.

I think that I have seen enough of John Tortorella to say..that he was a signifigant part of the problem this year...& not the solution.

While the Canucks were sinking in the standing faster than a stone, he was skipping practice to abscond to his Point Roberts -USA home, all the while, asking his players to sacrifice & give more. Didn`t he just have a lengthy & unscheduled vacation with his family, while suspended? He was a freakin' un-disiplined side-show...yet `we heard him preaching & F-bombing mantras of freakin` discipline at his players, heck...not preaching...screamin' it! See the hypocracy & the irony!

Tortorella claimed to be a players` coach... who listens just as well as he teaches. Huh?! LIke, how well he listened or understood the leadership core & the fans of this hockey team...who saw the greater signifigance of giving Luongo that start in the Heritage Classic, as a classy opportunity to honor Lu`s contributions to this team & thank him for his committment to that room...even tho the current circumstances were awkward. It could have been a love-fest & a fence mending...instead...Tortorella prefered to core-bust & incert his extra 2-bits of insult & drama. What an arse! Then & there...I realized the depth of his insensitive disconnect...his ego & ineptitude...as a player`s coach.

I hope Linden is a leader of this team`s rebuild. He`s a former NHLPA President & Union leader...who obviously cares about the game & the players who play it. This city knows he cares about people & VanCity. That dressing-room knows for a surity that Linden has boat loads of integrity, discipline, sensitivety, and still owns a burning desire to win a Stanley Cup. He`s someone the players will go to the wall for. But - does it sound like it to you...that John Tortorella would be the type of coach...that a guy like Mr. Linden would want to retain. I think NOT. Gillis & Linden are cut of the same cloth...on that account, & I look forward to the type of team that this very iconic Canuck would help to re-build for this market...IF this happens. Stay tuned, folks!

Oh,....hats off to Mike Gillis if he got Tortorella to sign the equivalent of a pre-nup.

also another point Rick Nash and Kesler had the same quote about Av saying he let themselves be creative and left them alone in the dressing room where torts is probably constantly trying to push the teams buttons all the time

There are all kinds of ins and outs with contracts.

For instance with Torts. 4 years left at what $2 million?

Give Torts 2 options.

Option 1. He is demoted to assistant travel consultant. He will continue to receive his salary for the next 4 years. After 4 years he will not be given an extension. He is free to sign with another team, which will be hard considering he will have been away from coaching for 4 years.

Option 2. Canucks pay him $2 million severance and he is allowed to start talking to other teams as soon as he wants.

Sort of like Toronto with Burke.

Option 1 is called constructive dismissal and is considered the same as firing someone not for cause. In this case, Torts would be entitled to the maximum amount stipulated in his contract.

Archived