The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Torts has buyout clause and Gillis may also - Total Payout isn't what has been speculated

J529

Mike Johnston, please.

We need a coach who is willing to play his young guys, and not rely too much on his veteran players. Go back to being a puck possession/skilled team, a system that the players are used to play. Couldn't think of a better person than Mike Johnston. He's done a fantastic job developing high-end prospects in Portland and is already familiar with most of our core players. Mainly the Sedins, who need a bounce back season.

Just some little tibits on Johnston's coaching philosophies.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/coach-s-corner-with-mike-johnston/58811

shiznak;

You might be right. Fans have very short memories. What was sitting on the bench when Nonis was let go is no where near what sits there now. Canucks were in desperate shape. Today's roster can be tweaked with some misguided idea that they will be CUP contenders next year but that is a stretch IMHO. Gillis began a restocking but it has to continue. Moving some vets to get picks and prospects has to happen. Gillis got the org a AHL franchise which is a seriously big deal.

As much as fans do not want to hear it this org has to reset and start building around a younger base. Use selected vets to nurture their development. Build towards CUP contention in 4 - 5 years. Build your management team around men who have played the NHL game and know what it takes.

I read it quite well but thanks for the inquiry. Every post he has made is trying to pump up Tort's tires.

No, you didn't read my post. In fact, you didn't read any of them and just made crap up, just like the other Torts haters. I'm not some Torts lover who thinks he is the best, but unlike CDCers like you, I actually can use my brain and think for myself. The problem is the team. I laugh at people like you who honestly think this team as it is can still compete. They can't. No coach will fix that until we start fixing the team itself. Hopefully a new GM will be able to start addressing the problem in real life and not like some people here who think this is NHL 14.

The players are the problem. The nucleus has gone stale. Not even Scootty Bowman in his heyday could coach up this same group and turn them into cup contenders again.

The window is almost totally closed. In 2 years time if new significant pieces are not added the whole thing will have to be blown up and start from scratch like the flames.

Been saying this since 2012-2013

Mike Johnston, please.

We need a coach who is willing to play his young guys, and not rely too much on his veteran players. Go back to being a puck possession/skilled team, a system that the players are used to play. Couldn't think of a better person than Mike Johnston. He's done a fantastic job developing high-end prospects in Portland and is already familiar with most of our core players. Mainly the Sedins, who need a bounce back season.

Just some little tibits on Johnston's coaching philosophies.

http://www.winterhawks.com/article/coach-s-corner-with-mike-johnston/58811

I love johnston. His developmental track record with Winterhawk players speaks volumes plus he has experience with the organization.

I read it quite well but thanks for the inquiry. Every post he has made is trying to pump up Tort's tires.

Perhaps your posts are made to stick a knife in Tortorella's tires before he even gets to second gear...

Signing Tortorella was a big mistake in my opinion... and he needs to go, as his approach is a relic of the past. I only hope the new GM will be allowed to choose his own coach. If he is I don't think it's going to be Torts. (Unless we're talking Feaster as GM; which I hope won't be the case.)

well leaning on only 3 lines all year took its toll on our vet's especially with some of their injuries, torts basically drove those or is driving those 3 lines into the ground. note this 3 line strategy gets exposed on the 17 back to back games we had..most in the league.

he doesn't deserve anything he hasn't done anything with this team to prove that he deserve another year, the GM said it himself that he's not the coach of this team, the players have shown on the ice they don't want him back, he got Luongo traded outta of here after starting Lack at the hertiage classic which was the start of the downfall of our season, he's showed that he won't be offensive mind of coach, also Kesler wants to be traded because of torts

Really, the downfall started back in January. <_<

I want Kevin Dineen, with Laviolette as assistant coach.

Also did anyone else notice that the article or whatever suggested that Brendan Shanahan is a candidate to be the new GM of the Canucks?

If you canna beat 'em, get 'em to join ya? .. we would be doing the League a favor getting that guy out of his role, but we would be sorry down the road if his decision making remains as vacuous ..

We might get a fair shake with the NHL Powers in the East if Shanabum is in our Management team, but Burrows would have to go.

If you canna beat 'em, get 'em to join ya? .. we would be doing the League a favor getting that guy out of his role, but we would be sorry down the road if his decision making remains as vacuous ..

We might get a fair shake with the NHL Powers in the East if Shanabum is in our Management team, but Burrows would have to go.

Last front office hockey man did a pretty good job...

Hiring Shanahan means hiring a seat at the Union.

yeah but his coaching style isn't suited for our team also if you missed it Ray Ferrao said working with torts on TV was hard it was black and white for him in other words he's always right and imagine how he is with the players he's not gonna change his ways of coaching which is gonna result in the same thing next year, even with injuries Sedin's haven't looked this bad in a long time, it makes more sense firing him then have the same train wreck next year

I heard Ferrero yesterday too.....basically he said that Torts is stubborn...it's his way or no way and is very difficut to deal with.

The sooner we get rid of him the better IMO...

No, you didn't read my post. In fact, you didn't read any of them and just made crap up, just like the other Torts haters. I'm not some Torts lover who thinks he is the best, but unlike CDCers like you, I actually can use my brain and think for myself. The problem is the team. I laugh at people like you who honestly think this team as it is can still compete. They can't. No coach will fix that until we start fixing the team itself. Hopefully a new GM will be able to start addressing the problem in real life and not like some people here who think this is NHL 14.

In fact, I did, and pretty every post you have made in this thread is putting down everyone but Torts. But I wouldn't expect you to get off your high horse and acknowledge that you could be wrong, that would involve being a man.

In fact, I did, and pretty every post you have made in this thread is putting down everyone but Torts. But I wouldn't expect you to get off your high horse and acknowledge that you could be wrong, that would involve being a man.

"Being a man?" Seriously? Thank you for proving what a delusional nut you are. I'm one of the few people here who seems to be realistic about this situation, unlike you, who solely blames the coach. The team really is the problem, whether you want to admit it or not. But, please, enlighten me on which coach will magically make this stale core contenders again. I'm waiting.

Well now that would be interesting. At least we have some excitement this spring/summer to look forward to! This should all be very interesting to see play out. About 1.5 hours until the big announcement...

Torts is the problem. Maybe not the only problem but the reason we dropped from perrenial playoff contendor to bottom 10 team.

He blames injuries for the canucks failure this year but it is his system that causes the injuries.

He ran our top players into the group the same way he did with NY. He blamed injuries then too. Look at the success that team is having under AV. Its night and day.

Let the goalie handle the shot. Its not worth looising a top player for a month.

He has to go. They need a new coach who will use balanced skill play like the red wings. We need to trade away a couple pieces over the next couple years for picks to push us over the top.

Anyone who says we need to trade everyone away and start from scratch is a moron. That is not how you build a team. We have great character guys that can mentor our rookies and together the older players and the younger will compete for a cup.

"Being a man?" Seriously? Thank you for proving what a delusional nut you are. I'm one of the few people here who seems to be realistic about this situation, unlike you, who solely blames the coach. The team really is the problem, whether you want to admit it or not. But, please, enlighten me on which coach will magically make this stale core contenders again. I'm waitin

Are you capable of anything but bashing other people? Please quote me on where exactly I said "it is solely only the coach, John Tortorella, for the fall of our organization".

As for coaching, this is an offensive team, so possibly Laviolette. Open to other ideas, Torts just isn't the right fit.

Archived