The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Radio Grab] James Duthie Tells Story about Gillis during Cup Finals

Ehlers

TSN blows

^^^^^^^

This is absolute Fact.

I read a scientific study not to long ago about what the definition of absolute suckage is and TSN was the final conclusion.

I can't seem to find the paper anymore but if it is out there just search.

It's easy to narrate a story from one perspective and without context.

Gillis was coming off a season in which 'his' team had broke records. They led the league in all the stats and no team had done since there were 6 teams in the league. Including leading all playoff teams in man games lost to injury. So ya, he should've been proud. He also should have been proud cause he was a GM of the Year candidate (widely believed at that time that he'd win). His team was about to play gm 3 of the SCF. So, tell me why he shouldn't be proud?

Also, how much you want to bet the TSN guys were asking him about his successful season. It's natural, they're reporters, they're curious - they want info for their TV show. Gillis was likely responding to their questions. What's he gonna say "ya we sucked this yr. Terrible stuff".

People need to slow down and remember the biggest lesson from that playoff run: media driven narratives. They want to paint a picture to sell their network.

Also the OP's version of what Duthie actually said is incorrect. Duthie starts by saying Gillis and Aquilini happen to end up in the same restaurant as the TSN crew, and Aquilini buys a couple of bottles of $500 wine and a bottle of $2000 tequila for the TSN guys (not Gillis). He then continues to say Gillis was talking about how he'd built a champion and while they were very nice (he notes this several times) Gillis was talking like he'd already won the cup.

He certainly was talking about that kind of arrogance as well though, and how it can get you in trouble if you don't win where your were expecting to. But he also said, if you win that's fine, and then compared it to a more level GM like Holland or Nonis, and he certainly wasn't saying that Gillis came in throwing money around and acting like a snob or something.

Also the OP's version of what Duthie actually said is incorrect. Duthie starts by saying Gillis and Aquilini happen to end up in the same restaurant as the TSN crew, and Aquilini buys a couple of bottles of $500 wine and a bottle of $2000 tequila for the TSN guys (not Gillis). He then continues to say Gillis was talking about how he'd built a champion and while they were very nice (he notes this several times) Gillis was talking like he'd already won the cup.

He certainly was talking about that kind of arrogance as well though, and how it can get you in trouble if you don't win where your were expecting to. But he also said, if you win that's fine, and then compared it to a more level GM like Holland or Nonis.

My apologies, I misunderstood the radio segment at the time I posted it.

That story could be interpreted one of two ways, and we don't know its true intent because we weren't there in person.

I don't know what the culture is in the NHL. Maybe most other GM's and owners would have walked in and not even acknowledged that the TSN media crew was there. So in that sense, Gillis and Aquilini could be seen as having done a nice thing by buying everyone booze.

If MG really was boasting to the crew and talking as though they'd already won the Cup, well then that is certainly arrogant and perhaps it was a bit of karma that led our collapse

It's easy to narrate a story from one perspective and without context.

Gillis was coming off a season in which 'his' team had broke records. They led the league in all the stats and no team had done since there were 6 teams in the league. Including leading all playoff teams in man games lost to injury. So ya, he should've been proud. He also should have been proud cause he was a GM of the Year candidate (widely believed at that time that he'd win). His team was about to play gm 3 of the SCF. So, tell me why he shouldn't be proud?

His team nearly broke another record in round 1. Nearly became the first President's Trophy winners to blow a 3-0 series lead to an 8th seed. One that had a depleted roster to boot. Don't forget the Hawks had a rookie goaltender that year.

He needed Alex Burrows' best game of his career to bail him out.

Loungo had already had a few playoff meltdowns that year and another one wouldn't have surprised anyone. Least of all the coaching staff who was so worried about him dropping the ball again they started Schneider in game 6 against the Hawks.

Ryan Kesler who destroyed Nashville all by himself was playing with a torn labrum and was hobbled to say the least.

The team squeaked by the Bruins in games 1 and 2 and were now without Hammer their best all around defenceman.

Sure their was lots to be proud of. There was also plenty to be concerned about.

There's a big difference between being proud and being boastful.

There's an old proverb "Pride goes before a fall".

Now he's gone.

Gillis built a championship caliber team. He did everything he possibly could that year. He couldn't predict how the officiating would change in the finals, nor could he predict the ridiculous amount of injuries we had.

He has every right to be arrogant as far as I'm concerned.

Gillis built a championship caliber team. He did everything he possibly could that year. He couldn't predict how the officiating would change in the finals, nor could he predict the ridiculous amount of injuries we had.

+1

Some may feel Gillis was arrogant me i think he was a lawyer who just stated the facts, some people can handle it others take offense. As to TSN I take what ever they say with a pinch of salt, like Gallagher they'd say any thing to create a scandal and a story. The only person worth listening to is Bob McKenzie. They're after sensationalism rather than journalisitc integrity

I think Duthie is a doooosh bag who is telling us a story, without any quotes, without any real context, playing a cheap and easy game where the person he is liberally paraphrasing does not have the opportunity to respond, is not present, and Duthie, to boot, has a memory based on $500 bottles of wine and a $2000 bottle of tequila.

For me, he doesn't have the integrity for me to take him at this kind of 'word'.

Yup, officiating changed while we were in mid stride with the type of exciting team that can win a cup. I don't care what anyone says, officiating changed because of the style of play that a number of top, american, big market teams were playing.

And I don't know how an unbiased hockey fan can watch games 4-7 of the Chicago series in 2011, and think the league/officials weren't trying desperately to get the hawks back in that series. It's a smoking gun, as far as I'm concerned.

At the time, I wanted to give up on the NHL because they crushed our best team ever. Watching refs allow the Sedins to get bobble-headed was just as annoying as watching our team allow the Sedins to get bobble-headed.

They just needed to stand up for themselves a little bit, but relied on officials and PP, in vain.

I hope the next time around we realize this, and punch back.

Just like '94, I will never be able to get over 2011.

If you believe in jinxes then I really can't say anything to you, but all I know is that Burke + Nonis + Gillis = a SCF appearance, no matter how you slice it. I'm just glad we got there again in my lifetime, as it could be the last time (even though I'm only 34).

Yup, officiating changed while we were in mid stride with the type of exciting team that can win a cup. I don't care what anyone says, officiating changed because of the style of play that a number of top, american, big market teams were playing.

And I don't know how an unbiased hockey fan can watch games 4-7 of the Chicago series in 2011, and think the league/officials weren't trying desperately to get the hawks back in that series. It's a smoking gun, as far as I'm concerned.

At the time, I wanted to give up on the NHL because they crushed our best team ever. Watching refs allow the Sedins to get bobble-headed was just as annoying as watching our team allow the Sedins to get bobble-headed.

They just needed to stand up for themselves a little bit, but relied on officials and PP, in vain.

I hope the next time around we realize this, and punch back.

Just like '94, I will never be able to get over 2011.

If you believe in jinxes then I really can't say anything to you, but all I know is that Burke + Nonis + Gillis = a SCF appearance, no matter how you slice it. I'm just glad we got there again in my lifetime, as it could be the last time (even though I'm only 34).

Great perspective, Ben .. we will look back on these days with 20/20 hindsight and realize what a great team we had .. and we can look forward and hope that Linden can do for this team what he did for the Canucks team he joined when he was 18.

That was 25 years ago .. a good omen, we hope.

I laughed when he talked about Nonis in a positive light. Gillis never gets credit for keeping the team together or adding important pieces. Every chance TSN gets they always say Nonis put together the Vancouver Team. If he wasn't currently GM of Toronto they wouldn't positively push him into the conversation.

It's like watching Transformers and getting the Chevy commercial in the middle.

"Did Toronto pay for that positive review?"

Archived