The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Unfortunate we'll likely have to wait ~2 months before we find out.... :wacko:

Do we have to wait for interviewing assistant GM's? Do they really do that much during the playoffs?

I believe Calgary and Buffalo were both allowed permission to talk to people during the season for their openings.

I would say there is a good chance of this ... well not good but possible, especially if the play Detroit. If the Leafs can take them to 7. Also, most teams are trash in the East, Detroit will show why they are the model franchise for the NHL. Columbus is no slouch either. I'll picking upsets like crazy in the East this year.

I love how people make these wild assumptions like Boston should be in the Conference Final for sure. That's short sighted and lacks hockey knowledge. Even the best teams ever couldn't be considered shoo ins for the Conference Final or Cup. Also every team is an injury away from disaster.

Exactly. Also the East isn't the cakewalk as many say..

I like the fact they were teamates albeit during the drab years of 86-90 (which brings to mind that borderline players know the struggle to stay in the league and don't take anything for granted)...I don't think we can go wrong here with a gm that knows the city and Trevor.

Nill has done a good job in his first year in Dallas, maybe Benning can duplicate that in Vancouver. I'm all for getting new blood in for this position, but keeping Gillman as a capologist is paramount. No to the likes of Feaster, Nonis, Burke, and any of those other retreads.

Agreed. We need to keep Gilman in the organization. His skills at managing the cap are going to be essential to our long-term success.

Agreed. We need to keep Gilman in the organization. His skills at managing the cap are going to be essential to our long-term success.

Agree on keeping Gilman .. I think Benning would improve our scouting immensely, especially in western Canada .. would love to get him pre-draft so we could blend his knowledge and 'outside' perspective with our scouting staff's planning .. he would be able to hit the ground running that way.

With Bostons 4.5m cap penalty next year, Lucic being a fan of Linden, and Jim Benning possibly coming to Vancouver, can we expect a Lucic to Vancouver trade?????

Probably not.

"but one can only dream"

-Pears/Derek Roy/Steven stamkos mullet

Nope Trevor will sign Iggy and iggy will also bring cammalerri in aswell

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Iggy Kesler Cammalerri

Doesn't help this team get any younger unfortunatly

Nope Trevor will sign Iggy and iggy will also bring cammalerri in aswell

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Iggy Kesler Cammalerri

Doesn't help this team get any younger unfortunatly

Yes, let's get more non-playmakers to play with Kesler. Just what he needs!

I thought there was a penalty for talking to other teams' staff while still under contract.

Benning sounds like a good pick. So does McNabb.

Agreed. Benning has all the qualities needed to form an effective management partnership with Linden.

I like McNab slightly more but he seems to be very comfortable in his current position while Benning is rumoured to currently hold more aspirations for a GM position.

With the news of Pat Quinn also being interested in re-joining the hockey club, there appears to be the makings of what could be an effective management team.

Trevor Linden: President of Hockey Operations

Jim Benning: GM and Vice President of Hockey Operations

Pat Quinn: Senior Advisor, Hockey Operations

EDIT: I'd also love to see the Canucks retain Gilman but I think he'll get poached by another team (likely Calgary) for a GM position, especially since staying in his AGM position role would essentially be a demotion (given that he was Gillis' #2 man and now there are going to be two new guys directly above him in hockey ops).

That said, Gilman is very good at what he does and seems happy here so maybe Linden can convince him to stay with the team.

EDIT2: I just noticed that the current Canucks front office page has been edited and has the following listed:

Trevor Linden: President, General Manager & Alternate Governor, NHL

Laurence Gilman: Vice President Hockey Operations & Assistant General Manager

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=39578

IIRC, Gilman didn't hold the position of "Vice President Hockey Operations" previously. That looks like a promotion (in title at least) so hopefully this is part moving Gilman up the ladder and convincing him to stay.

Also, I would guess that Linden's current GM title is an interim/transitional position?

If they could secure Benning as GM, it would be a solid move for the near future of this team. As bitter as the taste of our Stanley Cup collapse still is in our mouths, there is no denying the solid style of hockey the Bruins play. As Benning is a huge part of their success, I would love to see a similar team here. Hard nosed, gritty hockey has always been my favorite style and, when applyed on a consistent basis, is still the most effective style.

However, I believe that if he was hired, it would spell the end of an era in Vancouver and a new crop of players that play the style Benning likes would be brought in.

Agreed. Benning has all the qualities needed to form an effective management partnership with Linden.

I like McNab slightly more but he seems to be very comfortable in his current position while Benning is rumoured to currently hold more aspirations for a GM position.

With the news of Pat Quinn also being interested in re-joining the hockey club, there appears to be the makings of what could be an effective management team.

Trevor Linden: President of Hockey Operations

Jim Benning: GM and Vice President of Hockey Operations

Pat Quinn: Senior Advisor, Hockey Operations

A mix of these three would be amazing!

Would be an amzing mix of guys running the show! I would have full faith in them to succeed!

After researching David McNab, I agree he, too, has great credentials and experience .. would he want to take a demotion tho? .. born in Vancouver but raised in California, so his roots may be too firmly buried? .. plus he is most likely in-line for the top job with the Ducks?

No reason Gilman cant resume doing what he has already been doing. Benning is an awesome hire. Good to get a GM that is respected by his peers. Now we have more dance partners

Refresh my memory, but wasn't Gillman in the running for a GM job a year or two ago? Would hate to see him leave, but I think he wants a head guy position in an organization, he knows the money part of it. Plus he is a MG hire, but I think Linden would look over that when all is said and done.

After researching David McNab, I agree he, too, has great credentials and experience .. would he want to take a demotion tho? .. born in Vancouver but raised in California, so his roots may be too firmly buried? .. plus he is most likely in-line for the top job with the Ducks?

I don't think that becoming Canucks GM would be a demotion for McNab. He currently functions as a #2 (ie: Assistant General Manager) to the Ducks' GM. They just give everyone a "Vice President" title in that front office:

Bob Murray: Executive Vice President and General Manager

David McNab: Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations

At worst, becoming the Canucks' GM would be a lateral move for McNab (as he'd be #2 to Linden). However, given that Linden doesn't have the same background or experience of a Bob Murray, McNab (or whoever becomes the new GM) would likely be assuming larger responsibilities and a more important role than his current one with the Ducks.

But I agree that it might be a tough task to pry him out of Anaheim. He's very comfortable there and the vacant Canucks GM position isn't the typical #1 job (because of Linden's position at the top of hockey ops).

Archived