The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Confirmed] Jim Benning signs as new Canucks GM

TheRussianRocket.

Refresh my memory, but wasn't Gillman in the running for a GM job a year or two ago? Would hate to see him leave, but I think he wants a head guy position in an organization, he knows the money part of it. Plus he is a MG hire, but I think Linden would look over that when all is said and done.

There's certainly a risk we could lose him to another organization just as I'm sure the Bruins would rather not lose Benning. Such is life.

It's not tampering to express interest in the front office personnel. That rule only applies to players.

I don't believe that Boston's, or any other teams', playoff position will impact any the interview process.

Retaining Gilman as AGM would almost be paramount for continuity's sake. If he left Smyl would be the only major link and that might be too much change too quickly.

Benning, McNab, and Joe Will (SJ AGM) would all be good choices IMHO. 2nd tier would be Hextall, Dudley, Brisbois, Gilman.

John Stevens and Mike Johnston to replace Torts and Sullivan, with Patty Quinn coming in as a Senior Advisor, and suddenly there is hope for the immediate future.

News is slowly leaking out from reputable sources that the Canucks/Linden has indeed been speaking to Jim Benning, assistant GM of the Bruins for the vacant GM spot. Linden strictly said in his press conference he wanted someone with lots of experience to take the spot and someone who could help him settle in. Jim Benning has every bit of that, check it out:

Jim has worked his way up the ranks and knows just about everything in managing a team. After playing his last four NHL seasons for the Canucks from '86-'90, Benning officially retired one year later. He then quickly looked for positions on teams and was given the chance where he would then pave his own legacy. '93-'94 he was hired as an amateur scout for Anaheim. He soon-after joined as a scout with Buffalo from '94-'96 where he was then promoted as Director of Amateur Scouting from '96-'04. After taking a couple years off, he joined the Bruins in '06 for one year as Director of Player Personnel and was promoted as AGM from '07-now. ...as you can see, Benning has had a taste at almost all levels of management with nearly 20 years of organizational scouting-managing involvement, wisdom, understanding, and exposure.

He must have a lot of ties around the league being around so long and Trevor wanting experience to help him get settled in, this is the guy it seems. No coincidence the Bruins began building their current empire when Benning joined in '06 and he must have played huge dividends with that. In fact, the B's haven't missed the playoffs since acquiring Benning which is a crazy track record, Benning also has his name on Lord Stanley from 2011. Rumour also has it Aquilini wants the Canucks to play Bruins style hockey and what better way to do so then getting the guy responsible for creating it? It all adds up and with Trevor saying he'll likely have a GM announced early June, would make sense considering Benning will likely be with Bruins for a mid-long playoff run until they lose or potentially win the Cup. Gives enough time for Trev to talk to him and Benning to make the transition.

Linden was also a teammates of Benning's during his last season as a Canuck and like Linden, Jim is a Western Canadian born in Alberta. If there's anyone who can up Gillis for what he's done, I confidentially say it's Benning and hope we get him. His scouting and GMing experience is flawless and he's the man responsible for drafting Paul Kariya, Ryan Miller, Brian Campbell, Thomas Vanek, Milan Lucic and plenty of others.

I think Benning would be just as good a choice as any of the top candidates.

But this is what concerns me the most about the report.

If Linden is going to make this hire based on the fact that it's who aquaman wants, then nothing will have changed with this team as it would still be aquaman pulling the day to day hockey ops strings, but with the difference being it's now a smiling & popular Trevor Linder being his front man, instead of the dour neck beard of Gillis.

I think Benning would be just as good a choice as any of the top candidates.

But this is what concerns me the most about the report.

If Linden is going to make this hire based on the fact that it's who aquaman wants, then nothing will have changed with this team as it would still be aquaman pulling the day to day hockey ops strings, but with the difference being it's now a smiling & popular Trevor Linder being his front man, instead of the dour neck beard of Gillis.

Why would you think that Benning isn't Linden's choice for GM?

m5GWyKHuHseYO59ysdN0oDg.jpg

"Hey Jim, I realize you're busy heading into the playoffs and whatnot, but if you have a minute, could you start to look into the prospect pool and the upcoming draft...." ;)

Truthfully though, most teams give permission to their asst's to talk/negotiate with other teams interested in their services during the playoffs. It happens often.

The simple fact is that if we continue to model ourselves after Detroit, we're going to fail and fail miserably. The Pacific Division is a completely different animal than the division the Red Wings play in. We have bang & crash teams in Anaheim, LA and San Jose who have upped their size and know that if they play a physical game that they can throw the Canucks off.

Do some research. Look up the team rosters on NHL.com and see how we compare size wise in this division. See how Chicago fares against other teams in their division. In order to make it to the Stanley Cup playoffs, you need to WIN YOUR DIVISION. And if you don't have the right personnel (big, skilled, puck-moving bodies) to get the job done in YOUR division, then you don't have an ice-cube's chance in hell. Part of why Torts failed so miserably this season is because the team components weren't right to get the job done. I'm not even going to go into injuries. Let me ask. How many of those injuries happened while playing those three top teams in our division? Proves the point.

If we have to go Bruins management and get Jim Benning. BY ALL MEANS. DO SO! Let's get that winning culture in the Canucks dressing room and play like they damned well mean it.

Canucks fans who have seasons' tickets are getting fed up and they're showing it by not renewing. The simple fact of the matter is that those seaons' ticket-holders are winners in their field and they're tired of seeing status quo, Reward for no effort. Those of us who have stuck around since the days of Kurtenbach, Maki, Kearns and Quinn (as players) are getting tired of that too and we want to see results.

I've loved this team since my days in diapers (in the early 70s) in Edmonton (No Coilers back then) and have been a loyal fan; but enough is enough. It's not enough just to contend anymore. I'm hitting 44 this year (same as Trev - I'd see him in the Broadway & Macdonald Street Safeway every so often back in 91 and say 'hi' - just a passing 'hey, how's things going? Trev.'). I want to see the Canucks hoist that silver mug before I kick off and become grass food and the only damned way we're going to do it is to scout our division and correct our weaknesses. In other words turn the damned division into our prey by zeroing our weaknesses. I sincerely hope that Benning can turn our fortunes around (if we can get him) and that Trev and Benning can work together to make this a Stanley Cup winning hockey club.

That way then I can live out the rest of my life and die happy!

Linden: President

Gilman: VP

Quinn: Senior Advisor Hockey Operations

Benning: GM

Stevens/Trotz: Coach

Somehow get Edler to waive NTC to Detroit for Mantha, Tatar, and 1st

Take Mantha, Gaunce, Tatar, Alberts, and two 1st round picks 2015 to Nashville

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Somehow get Hansen to waive NTC (why was he given one?), Yannick Weber, Shinkaruk, and Markstrom to Winnipeg

E. Kane to Vancouver

Somehow get Higgins and Garrison to waive their NTCs (why were they given them?), and Sestito to Boston

Lucic to Vancouver

Sign Halak

(take another swig)

Lucic - Kesler - Kane

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Kassian - Richardson- Booth

Horvat - Matthias - Burrows

Hamhuis- Weber

Tanev - Bieksa

Stanton - Corrado

Cederholm

Lack Halak

Run the league for years, briatch!

Why would you think that Benning isn't Linden's choice for GM?

I don't think that at all, and as a matter of fact from what I've read and heard, I think Benning may well be Trev's top choice.

I was simply responding to the OP that said that there are rumours suggesting that Aquaman is so obsessed with the Bruins, that Benning would be his first choice as well.

I'm sure it's coincidence, but who really knows.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

Somehow get Hansen to waive NTC (why was he given one?), Yannick Weber, Shinkaruk, and Markstrom to Winnipeg

E. Kane to Vancouver

Somehow get Higgins and Garrison to waive their NTCs (why were they given them?), and Sestito to Boston

Lucic to Vancouver

Sign Halak

(take another swig)

Lucic - Kesler - Kane

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Hamhuis- Weber

Tanev - Bieksa

Stanton - Corrado

Cederholm

Lack Halak

This could be close to it.

After listening to Trev in various interviews yesterday, I'm thinking there might be a couple of assistant GM's added. Assuming Benning would want to hire someone himself, then we might see that second assistant GM role reserved for Nazzy.

Shea Weber to Vancouver

E. Kane to Vancouver

Lucic to Vancouver

Sign Halak

(take another swig)

Lucic - Kesler - Kane

Sedin - Sedin - Jensen

Hamhuis- Weber

Tanev - Bieksa

Stanton - Corrado

Cederholm

Lack Halak

I wants some of what you got. Is it green and smells kinda funny...and illegal?

It's not tampering to express interest in the front office personnel. That rule only applies to players.

I don't believe that Boston's, or any other teams', playoff position will impact any the interview process.

Retaining Gilman as AGM would almost be paramount for continuity's sake. If he left Smyl would be the only major link and that might be too much change too quickly.

Benning, McNab, and Joe Will (SJ AGM) would all be good choices IMHO. 2nd tier would be Hextall, Dudley, Brisbois, Gilman.

John Stevens and Mike Johnston to replace Torts and Sullivan, with Patty Quinn coming in as a Senior Advisor, and suddenly there is hope for the immediate future.

What was the deal then when Quinn was hired? (Or was it Crawford?) There was $1 million compensation or something to LA iirc. Maybe that was if you actually hire the guy away and take him home to work for your team.

Laugh it up funboy! I am not far off at all.

By the way, it's not reaaalllyyyy illegal. Merely a banned substance.

I'm not laughing at you, Phillip,

I'd be happy if we managed to make all the trades that could bring those guys to Vancouver. And that would involve wholesale larceny of those teams.

What was the deal then when Quinn was hired? (Or was it Crawford?) There was $1 million compensation or something to LA iirc. Maybe that was if you actually hire the guy away and take him home to work for your team.

Those clauses were eliminated in the CBA.

You can no longer trade a coach or Exec for compensation.

Archived