The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We should be scouting playmakers, not snipers.

Silfverberg Snipes

Why does everybody seem to think that acquiring a sniper will magically raise our goal totals? Haven't we learned if anything from this season that there needs to be a MIX of players in roles. I think 90% of our lineup right now is littered with players that are capable of shooting the puck but not finding the open ice. As a result, all of our players with good shots like Higgins, Kesler, Daniel etc are being forced to shoot from weak angles because everyone knows they're going to shoot and shut them down instantly.

The best this team has played all year is when Henrik was in top form serving up goals on a platter and towards the latter half when the only offence was provided by Kassian who decided to turn into Thornton-lite and used his size to draw defenders while finding the open man. It's THESE type of players we need more of, not a Cammalleri or Nash. I hope we chase over Spezza or Hemsky as UFA's. And for the draft if we can't nab Perlini, Ehlers I seriously hope we go off the board and grab Alex Tuch. His vision is insane. Couple that with his size and I think he's a real dark horse. I want NOTHING to do with Ritchie or Virtanen.

Why does everybody seem to think that acquiring a sniper will magically raise our goal totals? Haven't we learned if anything from this season that there needs to be a MIX of players in roles. I think 90% of our lineup right now is littered with players that are capable of shooting the puck but not finding the open ice. As a result, all of our players with good shots like Higgins, Kesler, Daniel etc are being forced to shoot from weak angles because everyone knows they're going to shoot and shut them down instantly.

The best this team has played all year is when Henrik was in top form serving up goals on a platter and towards the latter half when the only offence was provided by Kassian who decided to turn into Thornton-lite and used his size to draw defenders while finding the open man. It's THESE type of players we need more of, not a Cammalleri or Nash. I hope we chase over Spezza or Hemsky as UFA's. And for the draft if we can't nab Perlini, Ehlers I seriously hope we go off the board and grab Alex Tuch. His vision is insane. Couple that with his size and I think he's a real dark horse. I want NOTHING to do with Ritchie or Virtanen.

Maybe trade down for a 10th or 11th pick for an extra 2nd and take demko + tuch/kapenen

Take the best player available. No prospect is guaranteed to make it, so don't assume any junior player will be the same player in the NHL as he was in the WHL. Manny Malhotra comes to mind as a player who has made a career out of being a solid defensive forward, #3 center, but when he was drafted he was seen as a future star in the NHL.

I also don't consider a single player on the current Canucks team a true sniper. Kesler is close, but that's it. If someone projects to be a Corey Perry type and we trade down to let someone else take him, we'll look stupid within three years.

Take the best player available. No prospect is guaranteed to make it, so don't assume any junior player will be the same player in the NHL as he was in the WHL. Manny Malhotra comes to mind as a player who has made a career out of being a solid defensive forward, #3 center, but when he was drafted he was seen as a future star in the NHL.

I also don't consider a single player on the current Canucks team a true sniper. Kesler is close, but that's it. If someone projects to be a Corey Perry type and we trade down to let someone else take him, we'll look stupid within three years.

But that's what I'm saying though. I'd rather play the risk game with talent and vision rather than size and goalscoring ability. One of these is a gift that only the elite possess and the other is a physical attribute third and fourth liners make the league with.

Hemsky? God no.

Playmakers should be centers. And centers is what we're lacking. Not in the system, per se, but this season the Canucks were sorely lacking centermen.

As far as organizational depth is concerned, we're lacking natural RWers. That means Virtanen and yes, Tuch.

We're also lacking top-level LD's. We should definitely be considering Fleury.

there's a lil bit of irony in your name, and I agree we need diversity on the team. We can't have a team full of snipers.

That being said, we only really have Kesler who can snipe now...Jensen seems like he can, but we need more than him. Ehlers is good but Perlini, Ritchie and Virtanen are very intriguing as well. I'd be happy if we picked a player with size in this draft

Hemsky? God no.

Playmakers should be centers. And centers is what we're lacking. Not in the system, per se, but this season the Canucks were sorely lacking centermen.

As far as organizational depth is concerned, we're lacking natural RWers. That means Virtanen and yes, Tuch.

We're also lacking top-level LD's. We should definitely be considering Fleury.

Playmakers should be all over the lineup not just as centers..

But that's what I'm saying though. I'd rather play the risk game with talent and vision rather than size and goalscoring ability. One of these is a gift that only the elite possess and the other is a physical attribute third and fourth liners make the league with.

I agree with the size part of it. Goal scoring is tricky because it is really hard to train someone to score goals. The defensive parts of the game can be easily learned by prospects, but if someone has a great shot, it is hard to pass on that.

Tuch or Virtanen would be good additions. That said, if Leon Draisaitl were still available when we pick, could the new Canucks GM pass on him?

Stastny.

He'd be a great choice too, I just don't think he'll be available.

EDIT:

Your primary playmakers should be centers though. Otherwise you're building teams like Edm and TO.

I agree to this to a certain extent as well. The reason you see most playmakers at center is because they have the open ice to work with. On the flip side I don't want to see a playmaker centering our third line. I'd rather nudge Kesler over to right wing and give him a playmaker to feed him.

Stastny.

Stastny will be the next good player who gets an insane contract they can never live up to. The Canucks don't really need more of those. They need depth and those contracts kill depth. This year's free agent market is shallow and the crazy money will likely be crazier than last year.

We did snipe Dane Fox ;) who was our second round pick couple years ago :)

Goal scorers create rebound chances, which get cashed in on by the type of scorers we have. Look at Kesler, his goals have remained very consistent outside his 41 high. His best season of 75p came from playing with other players that could score, he was no better a passer then.

Someone who can do both would be nice. Not many guys who are purely one sided.

Archived