The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Big Changes This Off-Season (Core Stays)

I now present some big changes to the Vancouver Canucks...

Trades

Van: Jason Garrison, 2014 4th Round Pick

Tor: Jake Gardiner

Van: Dan Hamhuis, 2015 2nd Round Pick, 2014 3rd Round Pick

Win: Zack Bogosian

Van: Jannik Hansen, NYR 2015 5th Round Pick

Nas: Michael Del Zotto

Van: Chris Higgins, 2014 2nd Round Pick

Clb: Nick Foligno

Signings

Chris Tanev- 3 years @ 2.75 mill per season

Zack Kassian- 2 years @ 1,35 mill per season

Jake Gardiner- 3 years @ 2.875 mill per season

Michael Del Zotto- 2 years @ 2.85 mill per season

Line Up

FORWARDS
Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.350m)
Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)
David Booth ($4.250m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)
Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m)
Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)
Jake Gardiner ($2.875m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)
Michael Del Zotto ($2.850m) / Chris Tanev ($2.750m)
Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /
Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS
Eddie Lack ($1.150m)
Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS
Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)
Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)
------
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,993,968; BONUSES: $1,070,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,106,032

This is easier said than done, but if Linden and crew really want to shake things up then these are the kind of deals I want them to make. We may need to offer more for players like Bogosian and Foligno, but I think those offers are pretty fair. The Canucks end up getting younger but also trade a bunch of draft picks in the process, so it is somewhat risky. Also we get the youth movement many have been wanting with players like Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, and Shinkaruk getting a chance to shine finally. Also we could add some real depth into the line up with the cap space that would be left over.

Yes there are NTC's that players must waive, but if we trade the players who have no NTC then we are really going nowhere. In the Bogosian trade, Zack has to waive his NTC also for the deal to go down.

No way hunter is ready for the show next year, he needed to put on some mass to stay last year and 4 months without proper training will mean by the time the summer ends he'll probably be in the same place he was last year only without recent game action.

I think Matthias is the 3rd line center we've been looking for, allowing Horvat to start on the wing (like Mackinnon this year).

Picking up an over 3M dollar player for the 4th line is a terrible decision... you have 7.33M sitting on the 3rd and 4th line wings

Of all our defencemen with NTC's trying to convince the two hometown boys to waive? really? Especially with our 2015 2nd round pick?

I like the thought though! TOo many people put no thought into their proposals

I now present some big changes to the Vancouver Canucks...

Trades

Van: Jason Garrison, 2014 4th Round Pick

Tor: Jake Gardiner

Van: Dan Hamhuis, 2015 2nd Round Pick, 2014 3rd Round Pick

Win: Zack Bogosian

Van: Jannik Hansen, NYR 2015 5th Round Pick

Nas: Michael Del Zotto

Van: Chris Higgins, 2014 2nd Round Pick

Clb: Nick Foligno

Signings

Chris Tanev- 3 years @ 2.75 mill per season

Zack Kassian- 2 years @ 1,35 mill per season

Jake Gardiner- 3 years @ 2.875 mill per season

Michael Del Zotto- 2 years @ 2.85 mill per season

Line Up

FORWARDS

Hunter Shinkaruk ($0.894m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Zack Kassian ($1.350m)

Daniel Sedin ($7.000m) / Henrik Sedin ($7.000m) / Nicklas Jensen ($0.863m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Bo Horvat ($0.894m) / Alexandre Burrows ($4.500m)

Nick Foligno ($3.083m) / Brad Richardson ($1.150m) / Shawn Matthias ($1.750m)

Tom Sestito ($0.750m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Alexander Edler ($5.000m) / Zach Bogosian ($5.143m)

Jake Gardiner ($2.875m) / Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m)

Michael Del Zotto ($2.850m) / Chris Tanev ($2.750m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.550m) /

Frank Corrado ($0.591m) /

GOALTENDERS

Eddie Lack ($1.150m)

Jacob Markstrom ($1.200m)

BUYOUTS

Keith Ballard ($0.000m)

RETAINED SALARIES (1.13% of upper limit)

Roberto Luongo ($0.800m—15.00%)

------

SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,993,968; BONUSES: $1,070,833

CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,106,032

This is easier said than done, but if Linden and crew really want to shake things up then these are the kind of deals I want them to make. We may need to offer more for players like Bogosian and Foligno, but I think those offers are pretty fair. The Canucks end up getting younger but also trade a bunch of draft picks in the process, so it is somewhat risky. Also we get the youth movement many have been wanting with players like Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, and Shinkaruk getting a chance to shine finally. Also we could add some real depth into the line up with the cap space that would be left over.

Yes there are NTC's that players must waive, but if we trade the players who have no NTC then we are really going nowhere. In the Bogosian trade, Zack has to waive his NTC also for the deal to go down.

If Kesler is the 1C, the Canucks are in trouble.

I appreciat the time you put in to go through your entire proposal. 'A' for effort. I like how detailed it is. However, Hamhuis for Bogosian will never pass the mustard for the Jets. They are just trading upward in age 8 years for no reason. Hansen is excellent value for a third liner but the Preds are riddled with players just like him. They wont move Del Zotto for Hansen as his value to them is virtually nil. The last one is good value IMO Higgins and a second is worth more than Foligno , but again, he is a fan favorite in Columbus so they would need slightly more overpayment to pry him loose. Its not bad though. As for the salaries, we wont get Kassian for 1.35mil. Even on a bridge. Tanev might want 3 mil plus, and we are in no position to argue about it with him.

Is Bogosian really worth it?

Nothing of note on the stat sheet,

and every time I see the Jets play he is invisible,

Isn't he overated because of where he was drafted?

Seems like he isn't in Hamhuis' league

If there is anything great about that guy I am missing, please enlighten me. Because from what I've seen, Ryan Stanton has more of a consistent impact as a D man than Bogo.

Oh, and in regards the proposal,

People need to understand that Shinkaruk is not a sure thing to even make the NHL,

His hip surgery could end up derailing his career permanently,

Putting Hunter in any line up or trade proposal , until he has fully recovered AND spent at least another year in Juniors/minors is total fantasy.

Big overpayment on that Winnipeg trade, Hamhuis is so underrated it is scary.

I don't like how you got rid of so many of our draft picks, I don't understand if we are going all in or what.

Higgins had the same amount of points as Foligno but 8 more games and Higgins plays an excellent two-way game not sure if Foligno does that.

We'll have a big problem in 2-3 years when all those RFAs want money, it is an interesting proposal, different which is nice to see though.

Horrible ideas. Garrison and hamhuis are great and worth more than a bunch of plug dmen and hansen or higgins wont get us thoughs pieces either

The fact that you are calling Jake Gardiner and Zack Bogosian "plugs" shows that you don't who they are and how good they are now or can be in the future.

Del Zotto is a RFA and hasn't been playing in the Nashville line up as of late. He hasn't really fit in well with their style of play and they have some other guys who they still need to sign like Ryan Ellis.

Foligno has 1 year remaining on his contract and I'm certain he will be wanting more than $3 million if he keeps playing the way he is. Columbus will need to sign some key RFA/UFA this season and next season, Higgins is older but cheaper than Foligno and has a longer contract. Higgins would pretty much fill the void that Foligno would leave.

No way hunter is ready for the show next year, he needed to put on some mass to stay last year and 4 months without proper training will mean by the time the summer ends he'll probably be in the same place he was last year only without recent game action.

I think Matthias is the 3rd line center we've been looking for, allowing Horvat to start on the wing (like Mackinnon this year).

Picking up an over 3M dollar player for the 4th line is a terrible decision... you have 7.33M sitting on the 3rd and 4th line wings

Of all our defencemen with NTC's trying to convince the two hometown boys to waive? really? Especially with our 2015 2nd round pick?

I like the thought though! TOo many people put no thought into their proposals

It's not so much as having a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th line but more like having 2 1st lines and 2 3rd lines.

If Shinkaruk can't make the jump then you could slot either Foligno or Horvat onto that line, then a 4th liner would need to be added.

Yes, I would ask the 2 defensemen who have value to waive their individual NTC's because we are getting younger value in return. That's also why the picks were added to each of them.

Big overpayment on that Winnipeg trade, Hamhuis is so underrated it is scary.

I don't like how you got rid of so many of our draft picks, I don't understand if we are going all in or what.

Higgins had the same amount of points as Foligno but 8 more games and Higgins plays an excellent two-way game not sure if Foligno does that.

We'll have a big problem in 2-3 years when all those RFAs want money, it is an interesting proposal, different which is nice to see though.

I don't think it's the fact that Hamhuis is underrated but more so that Bogosian is very young and could be better down the road.

The picks are being traded for somewhat more proven young players. It's like trading the future for the future because most of the players I proposed we trade for are under 25 years of age.

Foligno is tougher than Higgins and is also younger, he would provide a much more aggressive style of play while adding on to what Higgins does.

I personally don't want long term contracts, as we have seen how that has turned out for us with these other contracts, but we could sign these guys 3-4 year deals which I wouldn't be against.

Is Bogosian really worth it?

Nothing of note on the stat sheet,

and every time I see the Jets play he is invisible,

Isn't he overated because of where he was drafted?

Seems like he isn't in Hamhuis' league

If there is anything great about that guy I am missing, please enlighten me. Because from what I've seen, Ryan Stanton has more of a consistent impact as a D man than Bogo.

Well Bogosian is really physical, he can put up points, and he can defend his own zone pretty well. He does have a couple of knocks on his game as he can be over aggressive at times and his point production can be quiet for some time through the season. He also gets injured here and there, but that wouldn't push me away from trying to get him.

The fact is that Bogosian is under 25 and can provide that physical edge that we are lacking on our defense, he can also provide points from the back end. He does have his faults though, but he is still young and he can work on his game and develop some more.

I appreciat the time you put in to go through your entire proposal. 'A' for effort. I like how detailed it is. However, Hamhuis for Bogosian will never pass the mustard for the Jets. They are just trading upward in age 8 years for no reason. Hansen is excellent value for a third liner but the Preds are riddled with players just like him. They wont move Del Zotto for Hansen as his value to them is virtually nil. The last one is good valueIMO Higgins and a second is worth more than Foligno , but again, he is a fan favorite in Columbus so they would need slightly more overpayment to pry him loose. Its not bad though. As for the salaries, we wont get Kassian for 1.35mil. Even on a bridge. Tanev might want 3 mil plus, and we are in no position to argue about it with him.

Yeah, I agree that Bogosian would be a tough get but he is someone I hope Linden and crew would look at acquiring. Maybe we could offer a B prospect like Sauve to sweeten the deal.

Del Zotto is interesting because he is a RFA and really hasn't been playing much for the Preds. I think however we could get him for Hansen and a low pick because Jannik is one if those guys I could see thriving under Trotz and the Predator style. Also the Preds have to look at signing some of their other RFA's like Ryan Ellis.

I have been a fan of Foligno since his days in Ottawa and could see a deal working with Higgins going the other way.

The salaries were just ball park numbers, they could be higher or lower (most likely higher).

Van: Jason Garrison, 2014 4th Round Pick // Tor: Jake Gardiner

I'd do this.

Van: Dan Hamhuis, 2015 2nd Round Pick, 2014 3rd Round Pick // Win: Zack Bogosian

No for both teams. Hammer's still young and valuable to us while the Jets would want to keep Bogo with their young core.

Van: Jannik Hansen, NYR 2015 5th Round Pick // Nas: Michael Del Zotto

No thanks to MDZ, I don't think he'll realize his upside and he's struggled often wherever he's played. Hansen's basically a 3rd liner himself but for this proposal I'd actually rather keep him for the 3rd instead of Booth.

Van: Chris Higgins, 2014 2nd Round Pick // Clb: Nick Foligno

Not for the 4th line, if this trade happens I would want to move Booth or Burr and get Nick on the 3rd. I also think Higgy provides great value for the 3rd line at his salary so if it'll cost another 2nd to get Nick to also play in the bottom 6 I think I'd pass.

Lineup:

Shink probably needs to develop, and I'd trim some of the bottom 6 weight to spend more for top players. Lastly but def. not least, Sestito should not be the go-to spare forward.

Van: Jason Garrison, 2014 4th Round Pick // Tor: Jake Gardiner

I'd do this.

Van: Dan Hamhuis, 2015 2nd Round Pick, 2014 3rd Round Pick // Win: Zack Bogosian

No for both teams. Hammer's still young and valuable to us while the Jets would want to keep Bogo with their young core.

Van: Jannik Hansen, NYR 2015 5th Round Pick // Nas: Michael Del Zotto

No thanks to MDZ, I don't think he'll realize his upside and he's struggled often wherever he's played. Hansen's basically a 3rd liner himself but for this proposal I'd actually rather keep him for the 3rd instead of Booth.

Van: Chris Higgins, 2014 2nd Round Pick // Clb: Nick Foligno

Not for the 4th line, if this trade happens I would want to move Booth or Burr and get Nick on the 3rd. I also think Higgy provides great value for the 3rd line at his salary so if it'll cost another 2nd to get Nick to also play in the bottom 6 I think I'd pass.

Lineup:

Shink probably needs to develop, and I'd trim some of the bottom 6 weight to spend more for top players. Lastly but def. not least, Sestito should not be the go-to spare forward.

I personally would like to make a trade for Bogosian which would involve a guy like Hamhuis going the other way, but I see many of you are against that which is understandable.

I would keep Hansen too but we have more than enough 3rd liners, also MDZ was great for the Rangers but this season has been a off year for him. He is a pure PMD and is under 25 years of age, if we can turn him back into the player he was or help him improve even mores then it will so worth it.

Nick Foligno could easily be playing in the Top 6, but I put him on the 4th line because I thought a line of Foligno-Richardson-Matthias would be extremely dangerous. He could also play with the twins and even play wing along side Kesler. He brings a more complete game than Higgins and is pretty aggressive.

Sestito was just left there to show his cap space, we could easily add more through the UFA route. I decided to stay away from FA's because I didn't see anyone worth getting without offering stupid contract and term.

I don't think it's the fact that Hamhuis is underrated but more so that Bogosian is very young and could be better down the road.

The picks are being traded for somewhat more proven young players. It's like trading the future for the future because most of the players I proposed we trade for are under 25 years of age.

Foligno is tougher than Higgins and is also younger, he would provide a much more aggressive style of play while adding on to what Higgins does.

I personally don't want long term contracts, as we have seen how that has turned out for us with these other contracts, but we could sign these guys 3-4 year deals which I wouldn't be against.

Ah, understandable.

Only problem garrison and hamhuis are our best dmen other than bieska and tanev plus they signed deals cheaper to play in their home province plus they have no trade clauses so your propsal wont happen. Gardiner is overrated and has done nothing so far in nhl hes a bust as far as ive seen has he even got 40 points iin his career? Bogosian is made of glass for being so young hes injured more than salo ever was no thanks. As for foligno i would def trade him for higgins but jets def wouldnt As for del zotto theyd want a 2nd rounder and jensen for him so all your proposals wont happen. Hope your living in alternate universe works out well for you. Say hi to bizzaro superman for me please :)

Archived