The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Nylander, Richie, Kapanen, Perlini, Fleury and Virtanen all go before he does.

If we trade Kesler for a top D prospect and a pick in the 11-14 range, Ehlers wouldn't be a bad take. I'd look at getting Mantha from Detroit first though.

If we are trading Kesler, I would like to get an NHL ready prospect. I would definitely trade Kesler if we got Mantha and a roster player like Nyquist or Tatar. That would really speed up the re-tool process.

Why don't people understand.

ANYONE we pick this year won't step into the league for three years at least.

We have a solid team and the ability to wait and develop these kids properly.

So if its Ritchie, Ehlers, Draistl, Bennett, Reinhardt, MDC or Virtanen expect to not see them for a while if you want them to pan out properly.

whoever we pick this and next season, it is imperative we develop them properly with a minimum of one full AHL season.

And hope for Ekblad, Reinhart or Dal Colle....

Or because central scouting has him rated higher than Ritchie and Ehlers

Central scouting isn't always right. I have watched Virtanen play and he just seems less skilled compared to a guy like Ritchie or Ehlers. But I don't know why we would take Virtanen that high. If we want another pick in the 1st round, then we could trade our 2nd plus a roster player to get into the top 15 and pick Virtanen. I still go with the guys I ranked higher than Virtanen.

If we are trading Kesler, I would like to get an NHL ready prospect. I would definitely trade Kesler if we got Mantha and a roster player like Nyquist or Tatar. That would really speed up the re-tool process.

Mantha yes...never get Nyquist sadly

Ehlers is good, but he is also risky. I don't really see a big difference between him and other people in that range except he might be a better playmaker, and is a little smaller.

Personally I don't really care anymore who we pick at 6 if the top 5 is gone. NO one knows who the best player will be at 6.

Hoping we trade up because it makes way more sense to get a top 5 player.

So if its Ritchie, Ehlers, Draistl, Bennett, Reinhardt, MDC or Virtanen expect to not see them for a while if you want them to pan out properly.

whoever we pick this and next season, it is imperative we develop them properly with a minimum of one full AHL season.

I see the NHL ready prospects as Ekblad, Reinhart and Dal Colle (who has NHL caliber wrist shot). It is the reason why I hope somehow Linden or the new GM can trade up to get those players if available.

Central scouting isn't always right. I have watched Virtanen play and he just seems less skilled compared to a guy like Ritchie or Ehlers. But I don't know why we would take Virtanen that high. If we want another pick in the 1st round, then we could trade our 2nd plus a roster player to get into the top 15 and pick Virtanen. I still go with the guys I ranked higher than Virtanen.

I've seen Virtanen play, I haven't seen the other two since they are in a completely different league without much access.

Ehlers was rated 22 at the mid term point, no way can you take that kind of gamble at 6th. Ritchie on paper looks good but that's all I can go off on.

No way we pick Virtanen at #6. I don't care if he is from BC or Lower mainland. I want the best player available that is a fit for this team and addresses our need. #6 pick is a really important pick and is too high of a pick to go off board for a player like Virtanen. My ranking is:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draistail

5. Dal Collie

6. Ritchie

7. Ehlers

16. Virtanen

So If we had another mid 1st round pick, maybe we could've risked that pick for Virtanen. Although I would probably prefer Tuch over Virtanen.

You have Virtanen too high. I know he's a good ol' boy and all, but geez.

Ehlers, Nylander and Kapanen are as close to a Nyquist as we can get. It took Nyquist a while to develop, but he is another example of why you don't always need your prospects to step in immediately.

I'm pulling for any of these three prospects.

However, I wouldn't be upset if we drafted one of Ritchie, Perlini or Virtanen. I can't make guarentees of any sort, because the draft is a hell of a crapshoot.

Good point. The kids aren't ready for the men's league at 18. Look at the botch job the Oilers have done on their picks for proof positive. Ehlers especially isn't ready at 165 lbs soaking wet. And Ehlers the guy I want.

This.

However, I agree. If Carolina wins this afternoon, which it indeed looks like they will, we are locked for the 6th pick. I want Ehlers at our pick, unless one of Draisaitl or Dal Colle magically falls down to us. However, even that's not too far fetched.

Ehlers

Kapanen

Nylander

Ritchie

Perlini

Virtanen

(my order without the big 5).

I see one of the big 5 sliding down. I see Edmonton trying to get a defenseman in the draft and might bypass getting a forward. I also see the Flames picking a big guy like Ritchie. There is definitely a high chance that we would get a crack at the top 5 players in the draft: Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennette, Dal Colle and Draistal. I would be fine with any of those players mentioned and I see one of them dropping to #6.

I've seen Virtanen play, I haven't seen the other two since they are in a completely different league without much access.

Ehlers was rated 22 at the mid term point, no way can you take that kind of gamble at 6th. Ritchie on paper looks good but that's all I can go off on.

Ritchie is the higher skilled version of Kassian with a much accurate shot. He will be ranked high in most of the draft lists the GMs prepare before the draft. Ehlers is also a more skilled player compared to Virtanen.

I see the NHL ready prospects as Ekblad, Reinhart and Dal Colle (who has NHL caliber wrist shot). It is the reason why I hope somehow Linden or the new GM can trade up to get those players if available.

This is the only exception though.

After Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennett, Dal Colle and Draisaitl, I can't really name anyone who can step in right away. Even the bigger guys like Perlini, Virtanen and Ritchie still need to work on their games. That's why I get so ticked off when people say things like "we should draft Virtanen over Ehlers because he's big and ready to step in right away", because that is not at all the case. All that shows is very limited IQ about the game.

I see one of the big 5 sliding down. I see Edmonton trying to get a defenseman in the draft and might bypass getting a forward. I also see the Flames picking a big guy like Ritchie. There is definitely a high chance that we would get a crack at the top 5 players in the draft: Reinhart, Ekblad, Bennette, Dal Colle and Draistal. I would be fine with any of those players mentioned and I see one of them dropping to #6.

I agree. I half expect either Ehlers or Nylander to bump Draisaitl or Dal Colle down a spot. Something like this nearly always happens. If we lose today, we could easily have a shot at drafting Dal Colle or Draisaitl.

Good point. The kids aren't ready for the men's league at 18. Look at the botch job the Oilers have done on their picks for proof positive. Ehlers especially isn't ready at 165 lbs soaking wet. And Ehlers the guy I want.

The players that are ready and one we have a high chance picking is Dal Colle. Ekblad and Reinhart are the other two and they are the consensus #1 and #2 pick. Don't rule out a player we pick in this draft not cracking the roster. There could be some surprises in the summer camp.

Ritchie is the higher skilled version of Kassian with a much accurate shot. He will be ranked high in most of the draft lists the GMs prepare before the draft. Ehlers is also a more skilled player compared to Virtanen.

Yes. But virtanen is raw. He has an unrefined skillset that needs developing but could pay off in spades, look how much he's developed this year alone. Ehlers on the other hand looks like what you see is what you're going to get. And I see Jordan Schroeder 2.0. Now I don't want them to use 6th overall on either of these players, however if I had to pick between the two I would take Virtanen.

Archived