The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolaj Ehlers

S N Y P E R S 7

And Drouin had Mackinnon to boost his value.

So does that mean Drouin is not actually a good player?

No, it means good players that play with other good players become better because of it.

Meanwhile, Drouin isn't in the NHL and MacKinnon is a ROTY candidate, so i'm not sure if you're making a decent point here.

Both Virtanen and Tuch are ranked higher in Central Scouting final rankings, and they have more NHL-ready bodies. Since both are organizational needs and Ehlers is redundant on a team with Shinkaruk in it's prospect pool, it's kinda obvious that we should avoide Ehlers.

No way Virtanen or Tuch go that high. They'll be taken around 10 as they should be.

If we're taking anyone other than Ehlers at that spot it would be Ritchie IMO.

No way Virtanen or Tuch go that high. They'll be taken around 10 as they should be.

Why not? The right-hand-shot factor alone is enough to sway teams who need them in their pool. (Like us.)

I also expect some defensemen to climb.

Meanwhile, Drouin isn't in the NHL and MacKinnon is a ROTY candidate, so i'm not sure if you're making a decent point here.

No that's exactly my point. Drouin played with Mackinnon, so you could make the argument his value was only raised because of that.

Anyone who knows the type of player Drouin is knows he's gonna be a star. Juts because he isn't in the NHL yet, doesn't change that fact.

Just like anyone who has watched Ehlers knows this guy has all-star potential written all over him. And it's not just because he plays with Drouin.

Can't say I know much about Ehlers, but from what I've read, he seems similar to Shinks. If so, the team would probably want to draft a player with different skills. Whatever the case, it looks like the Nucks will get a winner this year.

And Ehlers will be behind them, as he should be.

I would take Virtanen before Ehlers and Ritchie, and I don't even want Virtanen. Not at 6th. If we were picking later maybe.

I am not sold on Ritchie. I dont think he has the skill or quickness at the NHL level. Ehlers already has unusual speed at the NHL level. He will end up 6ft and 185 to 190. Generally prospects add 1 inch and 20 pounds from their 17 year old measurements. He is going to be a great pick for whomever gets him.

The one thing that the scouts indicated which I also agree with is that Ehlers will need to play with top flight players to utilize his skill.

No that's exactly my point. Drouin played with Mackinnon, so you could make the argument his value was only raised because of that.

Anyone who knows the type of player Drouin is knows he's gonna be a star. Juts because he isn't in the NHL yet, doesn't change that fact.

Just like anyone who has watched Ehlers knows this guy has all-star potential written all over him. And it's not just because he plays with Drouin.

Bottom line is that Ehlers just isn't going to be near as good as Mackinnon or Drouin. He's just too skinny.

Besides, we have Shinkaruk. What is so great about Ehlers that we have to draft a completely redundant prospect.

I believe Schroeder had all-star potential as well. Lol. Get real.

Just stop drafting undersized players.

Can't say I know much about Ehlers, but from what I've read, he seems similar to Shinks. If so, the team would probably want to draft a player with different skills. Whatever the case, it looks like the Nucks will get a winner this year.

Hunter is a better prospect than Ehlers anyway. We should draft someone with a different skillset.

For the record I don't have anything against Ehlers, but I find the idea of taking him with the 6th overall pick absurd.

And Ehlers will be behind them, as he should be.

I would take Virtanen before Ehlers and Ritchie, and I don't even want Virtanen. Not at 6th. If we were picking later maybe.

Not a chance. Ehlers will go no later than 8th. Quote me on it.

Virtanen at 6th would be a waste of a pick. This guy is not gonna be an impact player.

Unless someone drops from the top 5, Linden will be picking a power forward with size, not another small forward. Best player available doesn't mean the most talented.

Best thing that could happen is to win the lottery and draft Ekblad, enough said.

Bottom line is that Ehlers just isn't going to be near as good as Mackinnon or Drouin. He's just too skinny.

Besides, we have Shinkaruk. What is so great about Ehlers that we have to draft a completely redundant prospect.

The kid is 17 years old.

All you are doing here is spinning the negative and ignoring every other piece of information. While its your right to say whatever you want, you dont need to go banging that subjective hammer over everyones head who disagree.

He is a inch shorter than Mackinnon, and an inch taller than Druoin . He is faster than both of them. He has world class speed, hands and hockey IQ.

Anyone taking him from 6 to 10 is going to get an extremely gifted prospect. I understand he isnt the one you want at #6 but there is no need to argue with everyone about it over and over.

Hunter is a better prospect than Ehlers anyway. We should draft someone with a different skillset.

For the record I don't have anything against Ehlers, but I find the idea of taking him with the 6th overall pick absurd.

Because it is absurd. He's the type of player who falls late in drafts due to size concerns.

Well Mackinnon and Drouin were top 3 picks, so I wouldn't expect him to be as good.

Ehlers and Shinkaruk are not even similar players. You seem to think that because they're both under 6 feet that they must play the same game. That's like saying the Wings don't need Nyquist and Tatar because they're both under 6 feet. Ehlers will likely be about the same size as Nyquist by the way.

Again, you are having a hard time analyzing prospects based on anything other than stature. Ehlers and Schroeder play completely different games, not to mention Ehlers is more than 3 inches taller than him. Not even comparable.

Based on your argument we should take any player over 6'3" because they're all gonna become the next Lucic. That's probably the worst drafting strategy.

The kid is 17 years old.

All you are doing here is spinning the negative and ignoring every other piece of information. While its your right to say whatever you want, you dont need to go banging that subjective hammer over everyones head who disagree.

He is a inch shorter than Mackinnon, and an inch taller than Druoin . He is faster than both of them. He has world class speed, hands and hockey IQ.

Anyone taking him from 6 to 10 is going to get an extremely gifted prospect. I understand he isnt the one you want at #6 but there is no need to argue with everyone about it over and over.

What of the other 'kids' who have bodies of men?

We're talking about pro athletes here.

There is nothing special about Ehlers. He plays in a high-scoring league with a very high-scoring linemate. If it was him carrying the team instead of Drouin, nobody on earth would consider him 6th pick worthy.

Not a chance. Ehlers will go no later than 8th. Quote me on it.

Virtanen at 6th would be a waste of a pick. This guy is not gonna be an impact player.

Which is why I don't want to take Virtanen at 6th. Which speaks volumes considering I'd still take him there over Ehlers if I had to pick between the two.

Well Mackinnon and Drouin were top 3 picks, so I wouldn't expect him to be as good.

Ehlers and Shinkaruk are not even similar players. You seem to think that because they're both under 6 feet that they must play the same game. That's like saying the Wings don't need Nyquist and Tatar because they're both under 6 feet. Ehlers will likely be about the same size as Nyquist by the way.

Again, you are having a hard time analyzing prospects based on anything other than stature. Ehlers and Schroeder play completely different games, not to mention Ehlers is more than 3 inches taller than him. Not even comparable.

Based on your argument we should take any player over 6'3" because they're all gonna become the next Lucic. That's probably the worst drafting strategy.

No the worst drafting strategy would be picking up what other teams have passed on, like Schroeder, because we're insane in thinking that undersized players will somehow, miraculously pan out for us when they never have in the past.

When the OP said 'HEY NEXT BURE!' I chuckled. Nobody should be that stupid.

I'm not saying draft some heavyweight just because of his size though. Just avoid the undersized players who have a high probability of not getting an NHL body. Ehlers qualifies.

Archived