The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we sign Brodeur?

camerican18

Do we sign Martin Brodeur?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Brodeur doesn't resign with the Devils or retire, should the Canucks look at bringing in the veteran goalie to help Lack? He may be getting old but Marty can still play quite well. He could help Lack become a better goalie.

As far as I see it, Lack will be a pretty good goalie in the years to come. But a mentorship from someone as great as Martin could help a bit.

As much as I'd love to see Marty in a Canucks sweater I can't see it happening. I feel like he's not wanted in New Jersey anymore with how well Schneider has played this season, so he's either going to sign with a contending team that could use a veteran netminder who can mentor a young starter or retire.

I agree that Lack would benefit from having an older goalie as his backup or for a one-year tandem arrangement to complete his transition to the #1 spot, but I don't think that's Brodeur. He doesn't strike me as the kind to take the younger guy under his wing and teach him. I think a lot of people here undervalued that aspect of Luo's personality. That kind of leadership was a big part of why Florida wanted him back.

Brodeur doesn't seem to be happy as a backup and probably never would be despite the fact that that's where he's at in his career. So, it's probably best if he just goes out now rather than tanking his career stats with mediocre play. He's leaving his beloved team in very capable hands as Cory has proven over the season.

From the catty comments coming out of NJ this year, Brodeur seemingly isn't interested in being anyone's mentor.

I'd assume he'd be starter here. Lack clearly isn't ready for the NHL. His mechanics are real good but his consistency isn't up to par. Also has a few things to fix like straying in position and not sprawling over the crease.

I'd guess if Marty signed here, 1st year he'd be starter playing 50-60 games and second year if he signs that long share the crease 50/50 fulltime.

I imagine if he decides to play another year. He would prefer to stay in the East. Either playing backup for a strong contender, or for a team that isn't a contender but will play him in the most games.

I don't see him coming out West to be a backup/mentor on a team that is rebuilding.

I'd assume he'd be starter here. Lack clearly isn't ready for the NHL. His mechanics are real good but his consistency isn't up to par. Also has a few things to fix like straying in position and not sprawling over the crease.

I'd guess if Marty signed here, 1st year he'd be starter playing 50-60 games and second year if he signs that long share the crease 50/50 fulltime.

I wouldn't be interested in having him here as a starter at all. Why waste reps on someone who isn't a part of the future?

Oops! Just noticed this thread after apparently botching the search and starting my own thread. Help yourself to anything useful from it:

http://forum.canucks.com/topic/359087-why-not-brodeur/

One thing you may want to add to your thread is the link to the article from ESPN speculating about Brodeur. Anyway, glad to see someone else was at least considering this intriguing idea.

NO way, he is (was... u can argue about that) a good goalie. But look at how he handled the situation w/ Schneider, who is more prepared than Lack right now, I would hope he stay out of the Canuck's locker room. Don't see him being a type that will take the back up role and mentor another goalie to be a future starter.

Again, my point is, GREAT goalie not a good mentor and backup.

I agree that Lack would benefit from having an older goalie as his backup or for a one-year tandem arrangement to complete his transition to the #1 spot, but I don't think that's Brodeur. He doesn't strike me as the kind to take the younger guy under his wing and teach him. I think a lot of people here undervalued that aspect of Luo's personality. That kind of leadership was a big part of why Florida wanted him back.

Brodeur doesn't seem to be happy as a backup and probably never would be despite the fact that that's where he's at in his career. So, it's probably best if he just goes out now rather than tanking his career stats with mediocre play. He's leaving his beloved team in very capable hands as Cory has proven over the season.

Well said. I'd like to think Brodeur would be willing, if the situation was right, but that is what just left for Florida, indeed.

Archived