The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we sign Brodeur?

camerican18

Do we sign Martin Brodeur?  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No. The Canucks have a very talented tandem that are both at the stage of their careers where they are ready for their roles. Eddie will be turning 27 next midseason - Jacob will be turning 25 in January as well. Eddie got some invaluable experience this year and Jacob has an offseason to tweak with RM and run with the backup job. Eriksson is also a very talented goaltender that may command an NHL position in the near future as well. I think the Canucks should simply have some patience where these two are concerned. They weathered some horrible performances in front of them this season and showed the ability to be resilient and bounce back. They're both very level-headed, talented guys.

I personally am not really interested in adding a so-called "mentor" - that is what coaching provides - and these two guys imo are very capable of being a great tandem for this team moving forward.

I wonder if people advocating this has actually seen brodeur play this season? He's awful, over the hill and can barely hold a .900 sv% these days. The guy lives off his reputation and is actually one of the worst goalies in the league now. Plus, there is no mentoring aspect like some people think would happen. He didn't mentor cory. He just bitched about playing time all year. In fact he's still bitching about playing time and listing it as a main factor in who he would like to sign with. Any team that would actually consider giving marty a lot of starts is no serious contender. I don't want him anywhere near lack next year.

It depends if the team is starting re-build or they keep the core together for another year.

If they start rebuild they likely go with Lack and Markström. But if they figure they still have another good year left with the core and making run at playoffs they will go out and sign veteran. Halak would be ideally as Melanson knows him well from their time in Montreal. Halak could be signed for cheap on short-term deal.

Nah, Brodeur is still desperately hoping to reclaim his glory days of yesteryear. He has no interest in being anyones mentor.

Save the money, we don't need another goalie. We have two young goalies with a ton of potential who are going to spend the summer working with RM. While Lack wasn't quite ready for the starting job this year, he performed admirably considering the circumstances. Heck, he posted better stats than Lu did his first year here.

Again, save the money on a veteran goalie and go after one of the UFAs this summer. With the higher cap, and only paying 15% of Lu's contract, we have the money to go after someone like Vanek or Moulson (Not necessarily them though).

No re-treads please. I am planning to keep Lack in a keeper league and I don't need some moldy old goalie ruining my team! I just won 2nd place in the regular season and 2nd in the playoffs thanks to some solid goaltending down the stretch from Eddie. Seriously though, Brodeur here would be such a bad move.

I rather see Brian Elliott in a Canucks jersey, he would make a GREAT addition!

No goalie should be acquired until this core has been sorted, by whatever trades are going to happen.A new goalie would only hide the core's deficiency yet again.We've already experienced this for several seasons.

Brodeur isn't the right guy for the Canucks. We do need a more veteran backup for Lack next year, but not Brodeur. We would be smarter to go after someone like Brian Elliot who is a veteran but still fairly young and has had great numbers the last couple of years. Sign him to a 2-year deal for not much and we have a stable 1-2 punch in goal.

Marty didn't want to share the net with Schneider this year, what makes anyone think he would share the net with Lack. I don't want Marty anywhere near Lack.

Well, Loungo wasn't thrilled about losing the #1 spot to this same young up and coming hotshot, though he did seem to be cool with the mentorship role at least to some extent.

But if I read this right:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/10778320/martin-brodeur-new-jersey-devils-says-amount-playing-bottom-line

... And if he'd be happy with 30 or so games here next season, what about that then?

Archived