The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Willes' Musings: Kesler, Kane among big decisions facing the Canucks

If we could get him for our 1st and Schroeder I would do it in a heart beat.

That would be beauty but I think Schroeder would have had to show a lil more promise by now.

I'd set the deal up if one of the top five don't slide. If Draisaitl or Dal Colle slide to 6th I make the pick. If not trade 1st Schroeder and Hansen for Kane.

Jets need a legit T6 centre, Ladd's decent but more of an elite 3rd liner/tweener 2nd liner. Schiefle is good for their top line.

WPG:

Kesler

VAN:

Kane

2014 1st

2015 1st (Conditional, if Jets make playoffs it's their 2015 1st. If not it's their 2015 2nd and 2015 3rd)

Sign Stastny, boom.

Sedin Sedin Jensen

Kane Stastny Kassian

That's a pretty decent Top 6, and some additional prospect depth, and Kesler makes Winnipeg fairly dangerous

Why don't they just sign Stasny themselves? Save themselves some picks and trade Kane for another asset.

i understand Kane has been running a muck. But I still think that he can and will evolve into one of the more dominating players in the league. He can skate, score, hit, fight.... adn oh yeah.... he is still just 22 years old... and has scored 99 goals in the NHL. HE had an off year... and is still maturing.... its the PERFECT time to poach him.

There will be a good player at 6 for sure, but I still dont see a great player. Kane has the potential to be great, and still has a whole career ahead of him.... While we'd be lucky if this years pick got into our lineup for another 3 seasons. This team is not lacking in the under 20 category. its the 22-25 year old range of contributing players it lacks.

This is what they are going to do like it or not, is attempt to change out some pieces for youngish players that have the potential to contribute. If moving the 1st rounder this year can get you Evander Kane or any player 24 or under that has stud potential, getter done. Now clearly thered be a prospect attached as well, and it can get dicey at this stage, but also consider that Van could also move a couple roster pieces and the porspect may not have to be Horvat or Shink.

Id also absolutely LOVE to see Kassian feeding Kane off the rush, while both getting their noses dirty and throwing their weight around.

You want to take on a player who apparently has been misunderstood in Winnipeg. The Jets have a solid

org and smart hockey people. I always admired what the Moose did for Van. TWO NHL level coaches, Maurice and Noel sat Kane down. They did this while in a playoff hunt. If that doesn't set up red flags I do

not know what does. The great thing about this situation is that Linden can call friends in Winnipeg and

get the low down. My guess is there will not be a deal.

You clearly missed the point since you actually reinforced it in your post.

WE don't have the core of top six players to allow for a miniature player... you use San Jose as an example, we have the Sedins and Burrows who can't make up for another smaller and softer player.

Shinkaruk is 5'11" with skates on.

The Sedins won't be around forever. Guys like Kassian and Horvat will be around to compliment Shink. Jensen and Gaunce are also of good size as well. I see what you mean though. I don't think Kane is the way to go about that though. I just can't see it. That attitude will not be welcome in the locker room. If he gets scratched in WINNIPEG, who hasn't made the playoffs before, I can't see him doing well here. Torts would tear him to shreds!!! At this point, we can take our chances on Shinkaruk. Him, Horvat, and Kassian look more like the future to me. Hopefully I am wrong about Kane, but after all this crap comes up about him, there has to be SOMETHING to it.

If they can sweet talk Callahan and Vanek to come to Vancouver AND if they can dump money to fit them AND if buffalo is just wanting to unload Erhoff for a low pick or two......Fine go for it.However ,don't mess with the young guys or picks and keep plugging away at strengthening that new core.Otherwise let's get the rebuild going and set 9 solid young guys up as the new core and if they pan out we have a juggernaut for a decade.

But if we trade for Kane, then trading Kesler shouldn't be an option. Kane's a winger, Kesler's a center. We'd be downgrading the team while not gaining any cap benefit.

Kane, at 22, accelerates the rebuild. With or without Kesler. We wait 3 to 4 years for an 18 year old has an impact 97 times out of a hundred. Kane has NHL speed, size, athleticism and snipe!

Its true there is almost no circumstance where we are better in the first two years after a Kesler trade. But it aint called a rebuild for nothing. So we can still trade Kesler (if rebuild is the mandate).

Here is a scenario (?);

Now, If we gave up our first and Shinkaruk for Kane... We don't miss LW Shinkaruk cuz we have Kane. We trade Kesler for Pouliot, Bennett and a first: we gain the best PMD prospect in our history. Plus replenish our prospect pool. Bear in mind we have Mathias to tide us over a year till Horvat and Gaunce have an honest crack at doing for us what Kesler did. We're ahead if either of these two guys already in our system are full bottle!

Danny Hank Kassian

Kane Santorelli Jensen

Higgins Horvat Mathias

Bennett Richardson Hansen

Sestito (Gaunce, Fox, Archibald, Grenier on farm)

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Pouliot

Corrado

Kane, at 22, accelerates the rebuild. With or without Kesler. We wait 3 to 4 years for an 18 year old has an impact 97 times out of a hundred. Kane has NHL speed, size, athleticism and snipe!

Its true there is almost no circumstance where we are better in the first two years after a Kesler trade. But it aint called a rebuild for nothing. So we can still trade Kesler (if rebuild is the mandate).

Here is a scenario (?);

Now, If we gave up our first and Shinkaruk for Kane... We don't miss LW Shinkaruk cuz we have Kane. We trade Kesler for Pouliot, Bennett and a first: we gain the best PMD prospect in our history. Plus replenish our prospect pool. Bear in mind we have Mathias to tide us over a year till Horvat and Gaunce have an honest crack at doing for us what Kesler did. We're ahead if either of these two guys already in our system are full bottle!

Danny Hank Kassian

Kane Santorelli Jensen

Higgins Horvat Mathias

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Pouliot

Corrado

Kane is far too immature to accelerate any rebuild. Not a guy a team should be based around. I wouldn't trade a 1st and Shinkaruk for him. Total loss of assets. I would have a hard time justifying trading a second and Schroeder for Kane. He doesn't fit the image of the Vancouver Canucks.

Here is a scenario (?);

Danny Hank Kassian

Kane Santorelli Jensen

Higgins Horvat Mathias

Hamhuis Bieksa

Edler Tanev

Garrison Pouliot

Corrado

I agree, you won't convince anyone here though haha. He's a pretty damn talented hockey player. Far more than any of our prospects. I'm not worried about the maturity thing, he's 22yrs old. Some of that stuff was over a year or 2 ago... If we trade for him and he's taking dumps in lacks skates at age 25 and not putting up 30 goal + seasons, I'll eat my words... But IMO he'd be a great addition to our future

here the link if you want the full article: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hockey/canucks-hockey/Willes+Musings+Kesler+Kane+among+decisions/9734658/story.html

Summary:

Trevor Linden has some big decisons to make and 2 pertain to Ryan Kesler and Evander Kane.

On Kesler:

• Shero is now open to including Pouliot in a deal for Kesler, the only reason he wouldnt before was because of Letangs injury
  • The owner is oppossed to a rebuild, and would much rather get a big name FA to play with Kesler rather than trade him
  • Linden however is in favor of moving Kesler
On Evander Kane:

• Kane has worn out his welcome in Winnipeg
  • The cost would start around VAN`s 1st round pick this year and a top prospect
  • Trevor Linden is liked around the league and his influence may make it easier to negotaite trades with other teams (the subject of nobody really wanting to deal with gillis came up as a comparison)
Side note at the end of the article:

Jim Benning is indeed the favorite for the new GM position but dont count out George McPhee

Not sure I would give top 6 and top prospect for Kane.

I agree, you won't convince anyone here though haha. He's a pretty damn talented hockey player. Far more than any of our prospects. I'm not worried about the maturity thing, he's 22yrs old. Some of that stuff was over a year or 2 ago... If we trade for him and he's taking dumps in lacks skates at age 25 and not putting up 30 goal + seasons, I'll eat my words... But IMO he'd be a great addition to our future

No, he isn't really more talented than our prospects. I can't help but laugh at people like you who think Kane would accelerate our rebuild. He wouldn't. He would just become to us what Kessel is to the Leafs. A star player who is not close to being a franchise player that carries the team into the post-season. Some of the crap going on with him wasn't only two years ago. Some of it was this season, too.

Hate to break it to you, buddy, but Kane is still an unproven kid who has a lot of potential. No, he isn't worth giving up prospects for. We have our own promising prospects who could be just as good if not better than Kane. Maybe you should learn some patience and realize there is no real quick fix. We are not contenders anymore. We will need more than Kane to get to the top again.

No, he isn't really more talented than our prospects. I can't help but laugh at people like you who think Kane would accelerate our rebuild. He wouldn't. He would just become to us what Kessel is to the Leafs. A star player who is not close to being a franchise player that carries the team into the post-season. Some of the crap going on with him wasn't only two years ago. Some of it was this season, too.

Hate to break it to you, buddy, but Kane is still an unproven kid who has a lot of potential. No, he isn't worth giving up prospects for. We have our own promising prospects who could be just as good if not better than Kane. Maybe you should learn some patience and realize there is no real quick fix. We are not contenders anymore. We will need more than Kane to get to the top again.

Kessel? An 80 point goal scorer? We did not have one of those this year or anything close for that matter. I'll take a 22yr old version of that and put complete faith in linden to build a team around him.

Hunter is no Tyler Seguin lol

Kessel? An 80 point goal scorer? We did not have one of those this year or anything close for that matter. I'll take a 22yr old version of that and put complete faith in linden to build a team around him.

You might be right about Kane. He is in the right age group IMO. Any suggestion that he is another

Kessel is an immediate red flag to pass on him. The Laffers will never build a winner around Kessel and Dion.

I cannot get past the reality that both Maurice and Noel sat Kane during a playoff run. I am confident \

that Linden knows enough people to find out what the real situation is.

You might be right about Kane. He is in the right age group IMO. Any suggestion that he is another

Kessel is an immediate red flag to pass on him. The Laffers will never build a winner around Kessel and Dion.

I cannot get past the reality that both Maurice and Noel sat Kane during a playoff run. I am confident \

that Linden knows enough people to find out what the real situation is.

Honestly I think kessel gets a bit of a raw deal. If he scores 80 points for the next ten years people will still say he sucks. The leafs not going anywhere is hardly his fault. He's doing his part without a supporting cast. If he had 2 more players in his league they may very well get somewhere. A legit top centre, upgrade on phaneuf ect

I think it's easy for other teams fans to put the leafs failure on him but really he's doing what he's paid to do at a high level. He's not the 2way guy, he's a pure scorer and there's a place in the league for guys like him. He just needs the supporting cast.

And if we aren't building around someone like Kessel as our franchise player but rather using him to supplement our current franchise players, does the argument for Kessel's biggest drawbacks still apply?

Kessel and Phaneuf are the biggest names on the Leafs. They also have some of the biggest faults, but those could be mitigated a lot by having players like them alongside players of the calibre or the Sedins, Kesler and Hamhuis. Not that I'm saying we bring them here (my god, those contracts) but to bring Kane into our current roster to add offence but still play alongside quality players and not be the focus as much as he is in Winnipeg

And if we aren't building around someone like Kessel as our franchise player but rather using him to supplement our current franchise players, does the argument for Kessel's biggest drawbacks still apply?

Kessel and Phaneuf are the biggest names on the Leafs. They also have some of the biggest faults, but those could be mitigated a lot by having players like them alongside players of the calibre or the Sedins, Kesler and Hamhuis. Not that I'm saying we bring them here (my god, those contracts) but to bring Kane into our current roster to add offence but still play alongside quality players and not be the focus as much as he is in Winnipeg

That is an excellent point... if he came and was put on the 2nd line then it could be quite different. We also have a very solid group of veterans to settle down young players right now.

I think Kane would be best served to go somewhere with less off ice scrutiny though, but at the right discounted price I would be happy to have him on our roster for a try.

If you don't think a line of Kane-Draisaitl-Kassian has the distinct possibility of being pretty darn good AND matching up physically against any line in the league in a couple of years, you are kidding yourself.

That is an excellent point... if he came and was put on the 2nd line then it could be quite different. We also have a very solid group of veterans to settle down young players right now.

I think Kane would be best served to go somewhere with less off ice scrutiny though, but at the right discounted price I would be happy to have him on our roster for a try.

If you don't think a line of Kane-Draisaitl-Kassian has the distinct possibility of being pretty darn good AND matching up physically against any line in the league in a couple of years, you are kidding yourself.

Perhaps a lower key market could help, but then in Vancouver he'd have his family and Don Hay as a farmer mentor close by to help guide him. Certainly Linden could well be a strong influence for him if he came here as a player he likely looked up to when he was younger. As I've said before, it could be the best spot for him or the worst considering he'd also have his old friends around and all that.

Archived