The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Plain & Simple we need to draft him

- He is a rare talent, size speed and shot. Bleacherreport said he is an offensive dynamo and compares to corry perry, (50 goal scorer MVP) and they said he is as close to a cant miss prospect there is. Hockey hf WHL fans said at the beginning of the season he will be the 1st player taken from the WHL (yes ahead of reinhart) and they said he is a sure fire top 5 pick. A calgary reporter scout said when Virtanen is on , he is a man amongst boys. He said scouts and himself believe when Virtanen is on he is the best and most dominant player in this draft.

- He is a hometown boy, and fans have been clamoring for a hometown physical scoring winger. They always talk about evander kane. Virtanen is light years ahead of kane, way better skater, shooter , just as physical and isnt afraid to fight. And he backchecks. Normally a prospect is either big and girtty or small and skilled, Virtanen is both. Players can only dream of being able to skate and shoot like him. He is so rare because he can blow by you and score a highlight real goal and then come back and hit you like a mack truck. Announcers said they never seen a kid that can hit so hard standing still. If a player comes down the wing, he levels em.

- He was the first overall pick in the 2011 whl draft ahead of draisitl, so called german gretzky and every scout said his skating ability and shot is years ahead of his age. He won fastest skater forwards AND backwards and top prospects game, not only is he lightening fast, but hes smooth. Put this kid in our training camp or young stars tourney and he will make everyone look silly, goes right around d men and splits the d with ease. His backhand is better than most players wristers. Scouts joke his shot is so hard its as hard as his slapper, which is a bomb aswell.

-The last time we had a speed demon pure goal scorer was bure! We are all so used to the slow sedin cycle exc, were the only team in the league that plays so slow. Every gm and coach say the best way to win is to score of the rush, thats what Virtanen and Shinkaruk do best. Ive seen him go backhand top shelf so fast the puck is a blur. Imagine Virtanen Horvat Shinkaruk!

Shinkaruk fell in the draft do to ppl being worried about his size, Virtanen as I said is an unreal skater and has an unreal shot and has size! Hes got the best shot and skating ability in the draft, No player every has both , he does. And he is barely eligble for the draft, by like a month , so imagine if he had another junior season. Easily 60+ goals 100+ points. He finally got his shot this season after waiting patiantly and he dominated. We do not have a prospect like him , he jumps off the television screen. And the fact he is a hometown boy who wont let his family and friends down, adds to how hard he will go. He wants to be a Canuck and we need him!

- Look at the kings, they try and be physical and wear you down and have a few goal scorers. Virtanen will go right around them and then come back and hit you like a mack truck! We passed on enough hometown boys in lucic and ghallagher, no more, DRAFT VIRTANEN! He will be the best player to come from the draft. Lethal goal scoring phenom who can single handedly take over a game and be a gamebreaker. His physicality keep him engaged, so he is never invisible. scoring skating hitting fighting, he does it all.

There is nothing like being able to watch an unbelievable skater come down the wing and snipe one, and then lay somebody out. Skating and shooting is like breathing for this kid. Even as a 15 year old he refused to back down. He was a #1 pick for a reason and the resume of the #1 pick is amazng. He will be sitting there and we need to take him. Its not like we have to hope he falls to us, we just need to call his name and hes ours. He will blow people away the moment he arrives!

Ranked #6. Our draft position.

He has the tools. Question is if he puts it all together at the NHL level. Odds are he will with an Oshie-like upside.

He's also a right-hander, which the Canucks lack.

Local boy. Loved the Canucks Linden as a kid. Plays kinda like Linden did.

Would not have a problem with this. If not take Fleury or Tuch.

IF there is a trade that nets us a pick between 9 and 15 and he is available yes we take him. But not with the 6th or a potential lottery win sorry.

Well written and I agree with all of this. Virtanen and Tuch have been on my radar for RW's all year long. Still hope there's a trade that gets us Anaheims two 1st round picks and we can get Dal Colle Virtanen and Tuch or Honka.

But...ya man cannot do it with the 6th overall if Draistl, Dal Colle or Ritchie are available

I would consider it given the team's direction (skill game or physical game), but I would much rather draft offensive skill. Some people think that Virtanen is a finisher and not a playmaker; the kid can not create offense off the cycle or with zone play. With the 6th overall draft pick, we should be able to get a guy that can both create plays and finish them.

That being said, for the sake of staying physical in a tough Pacific division, I wouldn't be opposed to drafting Virtanen. If we added a another top 10 pick and drafted a highly skilled guy with our own 6th overall, then snagging Virtanen with the other pick would be even better.

This kid is so rare, he as the entire skill set and tools to make a Superstar! look at draisitl, potential #2 pick, ppl say he has cement feet for skating, been compared to sedins. There was a Boston Bruins fan saying he thinks Virtanen is being way overlooked and that he will and a force in this league, he said our canucks need to take the hometown boy.

What is the deal here, everyone keeps saying i like him but not 6th? He combines skill like the blackawks and physicality like the bruins. He is the BEST skater and shot in the draft, was the #1 pick in junior draft and will be a stud. The moment he steps on the ice for us if we get him he will score goals from the get go. Why in the hell do people say oh I would rather ritchi exc WTF! Virtanen as an unbelievable ceiling. Could be an all time steal. He is better than these other guys like ritchie in every aspect.

What is the deal here, everyone keeps saying i like him but not 6th? He combines skill like the blackawks and physicality like the bruins. He is the BEST skater and shot in the draft, was the #1 pick in junior draft and will be a stud. The moment he steps on the ice for us if we get him he will score goals from the get go. Why in the hell do people say oh I would rather ritchi exc WTF! Virtanen as an unbelievable ceiling. Could be an all time steal. He is better than these other guys like ritchie in every aspect.

Has Virtanen got a relative on this board?

You go on an on about him being the 1st overall pick in the WHL draft...

He wasn't drafted ahead of Draisaitl because Draisaitl wasn't eligible for the WHL draft. He was a part of the import draft.

Additionally, why would that even matter? The 1st overall pick in the WHL draft in 2010 was Alex Forsberg, who went undrafted in the NHL. Bantam draft rarely means a thing.

Virtanen at #6 is a no for me.

If we were picking around 10th? Sure. But I wouldn't take him above Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Ehlers, or Ritchie.

Every expert when they describe him, they say he will be an offensive powerhouse. watch highlights and you will see, when he gets a step on the defender, game over. hes gone! Its hard enough trying to stop a fast speedster, but when that player can put the puck exactly where he wants, AND enjoys being physical and will get in your grill, he is literally the last player you want to see. A scout said when he was 15 , he had the hardest shot he has ever seen, he said it made a different sound coming of his stick, like a great batter in baseball. I would LOVE to see him skate circles around the kings and blues exc.

Virtanen is no doubt a good player but here's concerns he's selfish and can only score points off the rush. In the NHL where it'll be far harder to weave through players to score, he'll need to do more than that.

Plus, I haven't seen Virtanen ranked in the top 6 of any final draft rankings.

In face:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Virtanen is 41st on this draft ranking.

I don't think he's that bad but clearly he's not a consensus top 6 pick.

Archived