The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

'You will PAY for your lack of vision!' What are you, the Emperor?

Pre-concussion, i think you mean. Virtanen is a much better player than Booth. That being said, Booth pre-concussion wasn't even that bad. But think TJ Oshie with a bit of Evander Kane thrown in.

There's no 'vision problem' in Virtanen's game. He just likes to score, and has the size, speed and shot to do it. A lot. In many different ways. This... Is not a problem.

No, I do mean post-concussion. He comes pre-loaded with the vision of a player with a head injury. He'll never be able to one-man army his way through the NHL and then he'll suddenly discover his size and speed advantage don't count for crap when he doesn't see the game well enough to use them at the pro level. There's a reason he is only a point per game despite the frame and size most hockey players his age would kill for.

What is the deal here, everyone keeps saying i like him but not 6th? He combines skill like the blackawks and physicality like the bruins. He is the BEST skater and shot in the draft, was the #1 pick in junior draft and will be a stud. The moment he steps on the ice for us if we get him he will score goals from the get go. Why in the hell do people say oh I would rather ritchi exc WTF! Virtanen as an unbelievable ceiling. Could be an all time steal. He is better than these other guys like ritchie in every aspect.

Mrs Virtanen?

No, I do mean post-concussion. He comes pre-loaded with the vision of a player with a head injury. He'll never be able to one-man army his way through the NHL and then he'll suddenly discover his size and speed advantage don't count for crap when he doesn't see the game well enough to use them at the pro level. There's a reason he is only a point per game despite the frame and size most hockey players his age would kill for.

Yes, he's practically Eric Lindros out there.

What in the bloody fool hell are you blabbering on about here?

SOLD! his 2013-14 highlight reel is off the charts. wondering how tough the competition is in his division. made most of those defenders look like punching bags. i can totally see sportslover's point. deceiving speed as well. pumped if he's available. gonna miss gillis' ability to find hidden gems on D. not a big fan of using high draft picks for the back end. love the draft. can't wait.

He's a scorer, despite claims he's a playmaker. No, he has eyes for goal and nothing else. Guy can pick out a top corner on a backhander on a breakaway or with 2 guys on him, for God's sake. You can't evaluate all prospects the same way, and Virtanen's definitely a top 10 this year.

How many have even watched Virtanen play, I wonder

The only question is, a player like Virtanen flourishes in a minimal-contact, open-ice type of hockey, due to his skate and shoot mentality. How that translates into the dead puck era NHL is a different story altogether.

Plain & Simple we need to draft him

- He is a rare talent, size speed and shot. Bleacherreport said he is an offensive dynamo and compares to corry perry, (50 goal scorer MVP) and they said he is as close to a cant miss prospect there is. Hockey hf WHL fans said at the beginning of the season he will be the 1st player taken from the WHL (yes ahead of reinhart) and they said he is a sure fire top 5 pick. A calgary reporter scout said when Virtanen is on , he is a man amongst boys. He said scouts and himself believe when Virtanen is on he is the best and most dominant player in this draft.

- He is a hometown boy, and fans have been clamoring for a hometown physical scoring winger. They always talk about evander kane. Virtanen is light years ahead of kane, way better skater, shooter , just as physical and isnt afraid to fight. And he backchecks. Normally a prospect is either big and girtty or small and skilled, Virtanen is both. Players can only dream of being able to skate and shoot like him. He is so rare because he can blow by you and score a highlight real goal and then come back and hit you like a mack truck. Announcers said they never seen a kid that can hit so hard standing still. If a player comes down the wing, he levels em.

- He was the first overall pick in the 2011 whl draft ahead of draisitl, so called german gretzky and every scout said his skating ability and shot is years ahead of his age. He won fastest skater forwards AND backwards and top prospects game, not only is he lightening fast, but hes smooth. Put this kid in our training camp or young stars tourney and he will make everyone look silly, goes right around d men and splits the d with ease. His backhand is better than most players wristers. Scouts joke his shot is so hard its as hard as his slapper, which is a bomb aswell.

-The last time we had a speed demon pure goal scorer was bure! We are all so used to the slow sedin cycle exc, were the only team in the league that plays so slow. Every gm and coach say the best way to win is to score of the rush, thats what Virtanen and Shinkaruk do best. Ive seen him go backhand top shelf so fast the puck is a blur. Imagine Virtanen Horvat Shinkaruk!

Shinkaruk fell in the draft do to ppl being worried about his size, Virtanen as I said is an unreal skater and has an unreal shot and has size! Hes got the best shot and skating ability in the draft, No player every has both , he does. And he is barely eligble for the draft, by like a month , so imagine if he had another junior season. Easily 60+ goals 100+ points. He finally got his shot this season after waiting patiantly and he dominated. We do not have a prospect like him , he jumps off the television screen. And the fact he is a hometown boy who wont let his family and friends down, adds to how hard he will go. He wants to be a Canuck and we need him!

- Look at the kings, they try and be physical and wear you down and have a few goal scorers. Virtanen will go right around them and then come back and hit you like a mack truck! We passed on enough hometown boys in lucic and ghallagher, no more, DRAFT VIRTANEN! He will be the best player to come from the draft. Lethal goal scoring phenom who can single handedly take over a game and be a gamebreaker. His physicality keep him engaged, so he is never invisible. scoring skating hitting fighting, he does it all.

Drafting Virtanen at number 6 is just crazy. I feel we can get the top 5, so going off the table is just not a good idea due to the weak draft this year. I like to see us draft either Draistal or Dal Colle.

Drafting Virtanen at number 6 is just crazy. I feel we can get the top 5, so going off the table is just not a good idea due to the weak draft this year. I like to see us draft either Draistal or Dal Colle.

Yeah cause no one else is scouting Draisatl and Dal Colle. Virtanen at 6 is not off the table. From what I heard is Virtanen is Shinkaruk with size. Shink was projected top 10 pick fell due to size.

I'd be ecstatic if we could snag one of the top 5 players at 6 but Virtanen is nothing to sneeze at. We get it you pay attention to the "experts" mock drafts, Virtanen is a good pick at the 6 spot despite what TSN says.

It's not off the table unless you're Craig the idiot Button.

I feel Virtanen might be available after the top 10. Although a team can still draft him to 10, he just isn't in most of the top 5 list of prospects for this years draft. If we could get the consensus top 5 which are Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Dal College and Draistal, then we should not be going for Virtanen. It would be considered off the table if one of the top 5 is available since he just isn't as talented as those guys. As we all know, size and speed along with a great shot just isn't enough if you don't have the hockey IQ, creativity and vision. Booth also has size, great speed and a great shot but just isn't that smart of a hockey player.

Yeah cause no one else is scouting Draisatl and Dal Colle. Virtanen at 6 is not off the table. From what I heard is Virtanen is Shinkaruk with size. Shink was projected top 10 pick fell due to size.

I'd be ecstatic if we could snag one of the top 5 players at 6 but Virtanen is nothing to sneeze at. We get it you pay attention to the "experts" mock drafts, Virtanen is a good pick at the 6 spot despite what TSN says.

I don't just listen to experts, since I also watched them play and I feel that Virtanen just has something missing in order to become an NHL star. He will make the NHL but he won't be the player playing on the 1st line. Dal Colle seems like a special player that I would take in a heart beat if Bennett, Reinhart and Ekbkad are taken. I am hoping Burke drafts Ritchie at 4th overall.

Archived