The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Unless, Virtanen turns out to be another like Phil Kessel, I see no reason in taking him when this team clearly needs a franchise centreman to bolster the forward group in front of Horvat.

Picking a winger that turns out like Lupul or JVR is still great, but not a game changer, and would be a waste of a pick at #6. If any of the centres (Bennett, Draisaitl) were to fall, this team should take them.

If the NYI forfeits their 5th pick to Buffalo, I could see Buf willing to flip with us if they like the return price. Say Draisaitl is available at 5, and theyve already taken Reinhart.... I dont see why they wouldnt flip the pick.

I agree with many of the analysts in suggesting that considering the quality of players being somewhat even after 5, there could be a lot of movement.

Nobody should ever go out and trade for someone just because they "are a hometown boy." If those players REALLY wanted to be here they would be asking their agents to request a trade specifically to this team and we'd get those players for cheap. Most likely, Kane doesn't care enough to be here and getting him will cost this team the sun and the moon. The trade would be a massive rip-off and his attitude issues don't help his cause.

Also Kane, a goal scorer, would absolutely mesh well with Kesler, a goal scorer :rolleyes: . Putting Kane with Kesler would be as disastrous as putting Booth with Kesler because both of them aren't exactly puck distributors.

Samuelsson was a shooter.... that worked out pretty well.

If the NYI forfeits their 5th pick to Buffalo, I could see Buf willing to flip with us if they like the return price. Say Draisaitl is available at 5, and theyve already taken Reinhart.... I dont see why they wouldnt flip the pick.

That's a very good possibility with Buffalo having so many 1st rounders this year. But what would it take to move up even one spot in this draft?

The Canucks seem like the team on the outside looking in. Every player in the top 5 are worthy to be there, but after that the top 10 seems to be a little less defined.

If one of the top 5 drops you obviously take them. But that 6th to 12th is kinda a crapshoot with alot of very similar players, there's only 2 franchise centerman in the draft and they're not falling that low. we've already got an inconsistant power forward(ritchie). we could use a highend defenceman but i dont think fluerys that player, and we could probably get one comparable in the 2nd. what do we need? skill and finishing. Havent had that for a decade. let the guys in charge settle whether its better to take Virtanen or Ehlers. But it should be one of those two.

I really like this kid's skill set. Elite speed, great hands, laser shot, physical, drives to the net. What's not to like. Plus he's a North American guy who we don't have to worry about signing with the KHL. However, I still say we take Fleury at 6 as we have more of a need for a top-tier defenseman. But so do a couple of other teams in the top 10. So 1st choice Fleury, 2nd choice Virtanen.

I really like this kid's skill set. Elite speed, great hands, laser shot, physical, drives to the net. What's not to like. Plus he's a North American guy who we don't have to worry about signing with the KHL. However, I still say we take Fleury at 6 as we have more of a need for a top-tier defenseman. But so do a couple of other teams in the top 10. So 1st choice Fleury, 2nd choice Virtanen.

Taking Fleury at 6th? Wow...I'd be shocked if that happened. If we were trying to get Fleury, we would be trading down and getting some more picks. It would be the 6th overall for the 12th pick plus a 2nd and 3rd and 4th round pick and maybe more. Fleury will be taken outside of the top 10.

My prediction:

1. Ekblad

2. Reinhart

3. Bennett

4. Draistail

5. Ritchie (Burke's idea)

6. Dal Colle

7. Virtanen

8. Ehlers

9. Nylander

10. Kapanen

11. Tuch

12. Fleury

13. etc...

Getting Fleury at 6th would be a disaster. Also, we don't need a defenseman unless its a franchise caliber defenseman or a defenseman with superstar potential. I really don't see how Fleury is that type of defenseman. Especially since we have Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Tanev and Corrado for the next 3-4 years.

You dont think the blackhawks or kings or bruins would LOVE Virtanen. You cant teach speed , lethal shooting, and willing physicality . You either got it or you dont. Hes got it! It sucks to say ah man I wish our guy was as fast as him or could shoot like him, no , Virtanen is all those things, hes the best skater and shooter PERIOD!

Then why isn't he in the top 5 of any experts list? Where are you getting this all from? The bleacher report? The province?

A very skilled kid....As far as rankings go,he seems to be all over the map.(anywhere from 6 to 41)..That could be saying something about his inconsistency..?

Rankings fluctuate through out the year and I don't think he ever left the top 14-15 except for that one guys out to lunch list that had him at 41

Rankings fluctuate through out the year and I don't think he ever left the top 14-15 except for that one guys out to lunch list that had him at 41

Then later changed his mind and said Vancouver will be taking him at number 6. His name is Craig Button.

Virtanen is good but he has a low hockey-IQ. depends if youre willing to take a risk on a guy who, potentially, couldn't make it to the next level because he isn't smart enough.

He uses his body on the forecheck against smaller defencemen, pushing through them. He will not be able to do that at the next level.

Try to do that to Shea Weber? BONK. Dead.

He is inconsistent and has a tendency to think the game at a very very low level.

I want him at 10-15. Nothing higher than that, or we waste a top ten pick and give another team the player we could've had with that top ten pick.

Virtanen is good but he has a low hockey-IQ. depends if youre willing to take a risk on a guy who, potentially, couldn't make it to the next level because he isn't smart enough.

He uses his body on the forecheck against smaller defencemen, pushing through them. He will not be able to do that at the next level.

Try to do that to Shea Weber? BONK. Dead.

He is inconsistent and has a tendency to think the game at a very very low level.

I want him at 10-15. Nothing higher than that, or we waste a top ten pick and give another team the player we could've had with that top ten pick.

Ehlers :P

Archived