The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Im a little warmer to the idea of drafting Virtanen. It's not because he has a great shot, skating or tenacity. The main reason I pick Virtanen over the other prospects is that I see him at worst a really good 3rd line hockey player but most likely an upside of 2nd line winger, MAYBE a 1st line winger...hence a really safe pick. Also what intrigues me the most is that he is one of the youngest of his draft class and will have ample time to hone his skill. I think Virtanen is maybe more of a project than some of the other prospects, and I expect him to take minimum 3 years to make it to the NHL and should not be rushed. I still think his potential upside is less than Ehlers and comparable with Ritchie but is most likely the safest pick of the three.

Assuming all 3 hit their potential:

I pick Ehlers if I want the most exciting game-breaker and score 70 + points. He will instantly increase the speed of the team and would likely be the team's leading scorer after the Sedins retire/fade. Would be an instant fan-favourite. On the other hand, I don't see him as a total bust but maybe 20g 20a 40 point scorer playing on second line at worst(?)

I pick Ritchie if I want to play Kassian on one line and Ritchie on the other and dictate the game through size with an element of skill. Games would be less exciting with less speed and we would likely be playing more 2-1 or 3-2 games. I see him as a 25-30 goal scorer and 20-30 assists at his peak. I don't see him as a complete bust but if he doesn't pan out and he will likely be a 3rd line player scoring 10 goals 15 assists

I pick Virtanen if I want a hybrid of both players that will be a fan-favourite because of his origin and who will also increase the speed of the team but provide the much needed grit that a team needs. Still 17 he will likely grow an inch or two taller to 6'2'' or 6'3'' and he definitely has the physical tools to be a force in the NHL. I see him as a 30-40g and 20-25 assists if he hits his peak. As many have noted though, it's not clear how good his vision or hockey IQ is which is the major knock on him and for that I think his high upside is limited with a most likely projection of 2nd line winger 20-25 goals and 15-25 assists. If Jake can hit his higher upside then out of the 3 I'll pick Virtanen over the other two. I'm just not confident that he can achieve those lofty goals.

Virtanen, Ehlers, Ritchie, Fleury, Perlini, w.e. I'd be happy with most of the picks we could make at 6. I just favour Virtanen because he seems to be superb on a technical and physical level, and can be coached to improve his weak spots (vision, hockey IQ, w.e).

However I also understand that nobody has a crystal ball and can tell how well these players will turn out. Its funny though how many people watch a highlight video and think they're a scout and the team should listen to them.

I have become more and more convinced that Virtanen would be a wise choice at #6. Like other posters above me have mentioned he is the safest pick out of the players outside of the "top five" because in the worst case scenario he would become an above average 3rd liner. I think Ehlers, Ritchie, and Nylander (typically discussed) have more question marks around their potential of success in the NHL.

Maybe Virtanen doesn't become a 50 goal scorer but I don't think anyone in this draft does anyways, its a weak draft compared to the previous few years. Virtanen is a very raw talent but we have seen picks like that work out for teams these past few years (I am thinking of Johansen in Columbus and Scheifele for the Jets). I love his shot, skating, swagger, leadership qualities and the way he can absolutely send shock waves through opposing players with his hits. He has been labled selfish but in my opinion I think it is a bit exaggerated. He is a sniper for sure but he is not a bad hockey player. He could easily be coached into using his teammates more if he has to. If Reinhart, Bennett, Ekblad, Draisaitl, and Dal Colle are taken top 5 then I would for sure pick Virtanen as I think he has the potential of becoming something very special and a player that would become a fan favorite. If he doesn't he will become a very solid 3rd liner similar to a Cal Clutterbuck

Best case scenario: Corey Perry

Worst case scenario: Cal Clutterbuck

I would love to see a Shinkaruk - Horvat - Virtanen line in their prime.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Right now I would personally rank the top 10 like this:

1. Aaron Ekblad
2. Sam Reinhart

3. Sam Bennett

4. Leon Draisaitl

5. Micheal Dal Colle

6. Jake Virtanen

7. Nikolaj Ehlers

8. Nick Ritchie

9. Kasperi Kapanen

10. William Nylander

Look at this, this is what a Canuck fan had to say years ago

After watching some of the U17 Team Pacific camp this weekend in Kamloops I think anyone out there who is not already keeping an eye on Jake Virtanen should be. He purely outclasses the best BC and Alberta have to offer at his age group and showed why Calgary took him at #1 in last years WHL draft. I fully expect him to be a main contributor as a 16 year old this year for Calgary. He has unbelievable speed, an NHL calibre release in his shot and can absolutely steamroll players with hits. He is like a combination of Ovechkin/Malkin/Iginla. This kid is going to be an incredible hockey player.

I rest my case

God your an idiot. Please stop offering your opinions on Virtanen. We are not drafting him at #6.

God your an idiot. Please stop offering your opinions on Virtanen. We are not drafting him at #6.

Those who live in glass houses...

And I didn't know you worked for the team. Might explain the shoddy draft record so far.

To all the people who've never played hockey before, Virtanen isn't that great of a skater. Its good and all to be able to go straight up really fast but everyone can do that in the nhl. Its about edge control and Virtanen doesn't have good edge control. Plus, from what I see from him, he is pretty one dimensional. He will be a terrific third liner or a good second liner but definitely not a first liner. So wasting a draft #6 on a good second liner isnt worth it when you can draft a potential first liner.

To all the people who've never played hockey before, Virtanen isn't that great of a skater. Its good and all to be able to go straight up really fast but everyone can do that in the nhl. Its about edge control and Virtanen doesn't have good edge control. Plus, from what I see from him, he is pretty one dimensional. He will be a terrific third liner or a good second liner but definitely not a first liner. So wasting a draft #6 on a good second liner isnt worth it when you can draft a potential first liner.

I love how you chalk up any one who disagrees with you to never having played hockey before, then go on and say he isn't a good skater despite every scouting report out there disagreeing with you, because you watched a couple highlight videos.

Your rant is childish. The ones you are quoting are the oldest ones. Draft orders change right up to the draft.

I want to correct you about the CSA. I believe its called the CSS and he was ranked 6th for North American Skaters. Again one of the oldest draft rankings.

I appreciate you bringing a rarely used ID to rage around but it doesnt add much to the conversation.

CSS thank u mother for correcting my spelling... ya he is 6th for north american skaters.. so what do u think kasperi kapanen thatcher demko or ville husso are ranked higher then him? Even if he was 8th, not 6th, whatever.. u get the point. someone wanted to know what he was ranked and I gave him the rankings.. Im bringing facts and opinions to the convo.. rarely used account or not.. what are u bringing to this convo.. spellcheck?

I like the Redliners report on Virtanen:

Only problem is lack of natural hockey sense/offensive instincts rarely gives up the puck and doesnt always see open linemates in better scoring position.

Is that what we really need?

Yea, pass mentality makes our PP absolute trash. There are dozens of opportunities that are missed because no one shoots or Edler waits to be blocked or Garrison misses the net and clears it around the glass...

CSS thank u mother for correcting my spelling... ya he is 6th for north american skaters.. so what do u think kasperi kapanen thatcher demko or ville husso are ranked higher then him? Even if he was 8th, not 6th, whatever.. u get the point. someone wanted to know what he was ranked and I gave him the rankings.. Im bringing facts and opinions to the convo.. rarely used account or not.. what are u bringing to this convo.. spellcheck?

Now THIS was a solid contribution. :lol:

I like the Redliners report on Virtanen:

Only problem is lack of natural hockey sense/offensive instincts – rarely gives up the puck and doesn’t always see open linemates in better scoring position.

Is that what we really need?

Hes a quality pick. I pick Ehlers, Nylander before Jake.

If we were picking 8th and those two were gone I pick him before Ritchie. Most predict Ritchie will go before Virtanen but I believe the game has changed and size has its limits . I believe Virtanen will be the better pro.

Yea, pass mentality makes our PP absolute trash. There are dozens of opportunities that are missed because no one shoots or Edler waits to be blocked or Garrison misses the net and clears it around the glass...

So a puck hog with no hockey sense is the answer... I was really hoping for a better answer...

Archived