The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Draft Virtanen!

1SportsLover1

Look at this, this is what a Canuck fan had to say years ago

After watching some of the U17 Team Pacific camp this weekend in Kamloops I think anyone out there who is not already keeping an eye on Jake Virtanen should be. He purely outclasses the best BC and Alberta have to offer at his age group and showed why Calgary took him at #1 in last years WHL draft. I fully expect him to be a main contributor as a 16 year old this year for Calgary. He has unbelievable speed, an NHL calibre release in his shot and can absolutely steamroll players with hits. He is like a combination of Ovechkin/Malkin/Iginla. This kid is going to be an incredible hockey player.

I rest my case

heres the link http://forum.canucks.com/topic/333824-jake-virtanen/ As you can see , people are saying hes a top 3 pick, nobody ever thought we would get him

Look at kesler, when drafted they said he is a 3rd liner at best with no offensive upside, the only thing he has got working for him is his skating. Virtanen Has the Skating Has the Size and has the Shot. He is a goal scorer. If a guy like ovechkin had the puck on a breakaway , Virtanen can chase em down. Speed kills and this kid has to be a Canuck

Virtanen is David Booth post-concussion. He's perfectly capable but his speed and size aren't enough to overcome his lack of vision.

I've read that he's rather lack luster in puck pursuit and doesn't have the greatest hockey sense. When the puck is on his stick you know exactly what he's going to do, and that's head for the net. Has a case of tunnel vision so if he were to play in the NHL he'd have to adjust his game.

Virtanen is no doubt a good player but here's concerns he's selfish and can only score points off the rush. In the NHL where it'll be far harder to weave through players to score, he'll need to do more than that.

Plus, I haven't seen Virtanen ranked in the top 6 of any final draft rankings.

In face:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Virtanen is 41st on this draft ranking.

I don't think he's that bad but clearly he's not a consensus top 6 pick.

That is Craig buttons list from a lil while ago.

Central Scoutings final rankings has Virtanen at 6th for North American skaters... Just because cdc is going bananas over Ehlers, doesn't mean the pro scouts are just as enthusiastic.

So 1SportsLover1, was two draft threads yesterday (one of which was locked because you had created the other just before) not enough? I get that you're new here since January, but we have an existing draft thread in the prospects forum, and a forum dedicated to proposals if you think you need to create a thread saying we should draft a specific player. Even if you want to talk about a specific player regardless of us drafting him or not, there's also the junior hockey forum.

The one key element here is Virtanen (or Nylander, or anyone else you want to mention from the draft) isn't currently a part of the Canucks organization. If you want to discuss a player in the draft, I'd suggest the existing thread or a new thread in the proposals forum. Love the enthusiasm, but you've got to put it in the right spot.

everything is unsure in drafting prospects... so it's not fair to say whether Virtanen will worth the 6th pick or not. One thing that we do know tho is that we should pick the best player available in the draft and there are others who are better on paper than Virtanen at 6th. Do we really want to do the "think outside of the box" thing and draft someone unexpected with our first round pick (aka White) again? Virtanen may turn out amazing like a lot of the mid round picks in the past, but we dont have a crystal ball, we dont know what will happen. But we shouldn't use a 6th pick to gamble.

on the side note, anyone find the op's obsession disturbing? He's even worse than Apollo's love for luongo... and that says something...

I want Virtanen. But then again I haven't scouted these kids for a year. I'm just going to let the scouts do their job and let them make the pick.

When it comes to prospects I haven't paid that much attention to, I trust their opinion more than my own or anybody else here.

Virtanen is David Booth post-concussion. He's perfectly capable but his speed and size aren't enough to overcome his lack of vision.

'You will PAY for your lack of vision!' What are you, the Emperor?

Pre-concussion, i think you mean. Virtanen is a much better player than Booth. That being said, Booth pre-concussion wasn't even that bad. But think TJ Oshie with a bit of Evander Kane thrown in.

There's no 'vision problem' in Virtanen's game. He just likes to score, and has the size, speed and shot to do it. A lot. In many different ways. This... Is not a problem.

everything is unsure in drafting prospects... so it's not fair to say whether Virtanen will worth the 6th pick or not. One thing that we do know tho is that we should pick the best player available in the draft and there are others who are better on paper than Virtanen at 6th. Do we really want to do the "think outside of the box" thing and draft someone unexpected with our first round pick (aka White) again? Virtanen may turn out amazing like a lot of the mid round picks in the past, but we dont have a crystal ball, we dont know what will happen. But we shouldn't use a 6th pick to gamble.

on the side note, anyone find the op's obsession disturbing? He's even worse than Apollo's love for luongo... and that says something...

How is it outside the box when he's actually ranked 6th? But yes, the OP is in love. I like him too, but jeez.

I'm still hoping for one of the top 5 to fall to us. If not I would be comfortable taking Virtanen.

He has all the tools. Its rare to see a guy his size than can skate and shoot like that. Obviously he's lacking in hockey sense, but that can be coached. The other things can't. He wouldn't be my first choice, he is a project, but one I could get excited about. I'd certainly rather have him than some of the other names that get tossed about relentlessly around CDC.

Archived