The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Longboarding and the fuzz

Chalky

As usual, the guy breaking the law tries to turn it around and blames the cop. It's called the shame and blame game and a lot of ppl try to use this method when they're in the wrong. If one of these boarders slams in a car and gets killed, who gets blamed?

exactly, ppl will blame the cops for not stopping these guys... some cops are a$$ but most are decent ppl.. funny most of the ppl that hate cops are the ones love getting into trouble.. :lol:

As a longboarder, that road doesn't seem like the best place to downhill. It seems more like a suburb than farther out into a countryside. Personally I think that what the cop did was insane but those guys should pick a more quiet road, or stick to sliding and cruising :)

All the other activities these days, and there's NO other choice?

Skateboard? Roller Blade? Bike? Dirt Biking? Trail Riding? Trail Running?

Talk with the city to set up a dedicated long board route? Sort of like a racetrack but for long boarders? That way you make the lanes safe, only longboard traffic, even have volunteer marshals, if someone gets hurt they can take them to a first aid station?

Maybe set up with an affordable membership fee, like $12 a month. Or if you volunteer over certain hours you get your fee waived.

I've seen motorcyclists think the Sea to Sky is their private Moto GP route. Only to get killed. Want to go that fast? Go to a track where it's safer and the only person you'll hurt is your bike and yourself.

Saw the video on the news. I believe cops have right to use reasonable steps to stop the longboarders. Parking his car in a way that will make them stop is reasonable, just like a cop can park his car across 2 lanes to stop a speeding car. Sorry LB in the wrong here ... there is no 'safe' way to make them stop. Suck it up LB princess, you do something risky, dangerous, and illegal ... you take the consequences.

Just saw the vid again ... actually cop was kind of restrained ... cop could have arrested that dyck who was trying to 'school' him on how to do his job. Guy in yellow helmet is douche.

exactly, ppl will blame the cops for not stopping these guys... some cops are a$$ but most are decent ppl.. funny most of the ppl that hate cops are the ones love getting into trouble.. :lol:

uhh, makes perfect sense, doesn't it? the people who get in trouble are the ones who have to deal with the police, so they get a first hand experience of how awful they can be

i used to be big into graffiti, and one time when i was caught, the woman who "arrested me" probably did and said ten or fifteen things she shouldn't have. should i just NOT say anything? because i did something wrong means i should be subject to the police doing wrong things to me?

that isn't how it works. sometimes when a criminal (or anyone for that matter) calls a spade a spade, it isn't out of deflection or something, its just how it is

If these idiots didn't break the law in the first place, none of the aftermath would have happened. Sure the officer was a bit of a dick, but he's likely sick of the same thing playing itself out over and over again.

He could have very well saved a life, serious injury, and/or car wreck here.

Don't want to run into the cops in this manor, don't break the law. Pretty simple concept if you ask me. Then again common sense disappeared a long long time ago.

**EDIT**

Watched it again, fully this time. The cop was well within his rights and acted accordingly.

Seriously, people criticizing the cop make it seem like he made a sharp L and made his car horizontal across the road, was what he dangerous? Only to the Longboarders who have no means to come to a quick stop other than bailing (as they did) or slamming into the car. Sure he could have handled it better but there's a reason longboarding is illegal.

And for those saying he should have flashed sirens and pulled a U-turn, I think you underestimate how fast longboards can go, plus they can always dart into areas where a car cannot follow. I think the cop was fine in his actions.

Ok here is my take

Here is a guy (police officer) 1.who when confronted with a split second decision reacted dangerously( cut upfront of guys without fully thinking of the situation and weigh the options) let's not forget that this is a by-law 2. Forgot his training? Why did he stoop to the assailants level argues and then let's the guy swing around a helmet in his face.

I'm sorry this is not man who has the right qualities to be a police officer. At least that what my tax dollars are saying!

But then again.... I would say 60%of police I ran into have an ego problem and it's these clowns they like to hire.

Ok here is my take

Here is a guy (police officer) 1.who when confronted with a split second decision reacted dangerously( cut upfront of guys without fully thinking of the situation and weigh the options) let's not forget that this is a by-law 2. Forgot his training? Why did he stoop to the assailants level argues and then let's the guy swing around a helmet in his face.

I'm sorry this is not man who has the right qualities to be a police officer. At least that what my tax dollars are saying!

But then again.... I would say 60%of police I ran into have an ego problem and it's these clowns they like to hire.

1) Your tax dollars? You don't even live in West Vancouver.

2) How can you judge from a small confrontation that this man is not suited to be a police officer?

You sound like the typical "FTP" person.

do they have any official places where long boarding is legal and safe?

maybe its time they build a longboard specific place?

The answer is no. The only place that's even taken a step in this direction is Surrey, they're currently in the process of planning a Long Boarding park out here in South Surrey. I think Surrey's approach is probably the best: give these long boarders somewhere to do their thing, and then if they still choose to make stupid decisions like these guys did then throw the book at them.

How about learning some respect for the people who make your life safer on a daily basis?

Respect is a two way street and this cop is traveling on the wrong side of the road.

I respect the majority of police but this cop is clearly unstable.

Archived