The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

ICBC Ordered to Pay Back Millions

nucklehead

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/icbc-ordered-to-pay-back-millions-to-motorists-1.2608840

B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone says he is "angry" after learning that an ICBC computer mistake led to billing errors totalling an estimated $110 million in optional insurance coverage. The Crown corporation estimates it owes its customers $36 million and an additional $3 million in interest for overcharging them. At the same time, it lost an estimated $71 million when the same computer error led to some customers underpaying their premiums. B.C. Transportation Minister Todd Stone has ordered ICBC to repay $36 million to motorists who were overcharged for insurance due to a computer error. (CBC) ICBC says the mistake occurred as part of its move to a new computer system that caused incorrect vehicle descriptions to be applied to some optional insurance coverage for at least the last six years...Stone said he is also ordering an outside audit of ICBC's numbers, as well as an examination of its handling of the issue. The minister said the error must not result in higher premiums to customers. ICBC says it will be able to tell those affected within 90 days whether they overpaid or underpaid, and will begin emailing out those explanations along with cheques in July. It said the error will not result in higher premiums.
There supposed to be a website lauched today, I think, where you can search your information on this. If anyone knows it they can post it here.

get your money back : http://checkmyvehicle.icbc.com

you'll need your insurance papers to do it.

edit: nvm, they say :

We are not able to tell if you've paid too much or too little at this time, but we can tell you if your vehicle description is correct or incorrect in our systems. Within 90 days we will be sending letters to affected customers if they've paid too much or too little. Work continues to determine individual financial impacts for all our customers.

even tho they said this morning on the radio thats where you go to check if you're owed money..

Scammers. So many incidents that I could write a book. Glad that they're being called to task...about time. Some of it's imcompetence, some of it is shady (remember the write off scheme awhile ago). I hope every single person who works for ICBC and has taken advantage of that in some way gets canned. I have one adjustor, in particular, that I'm reporting...now have proof that he is either A) incompetent or B) immoral. My guess is B.

Have an email saying "woops, made a mistake...disregard all those emails where I hounded you...I had the wrong info" as I closed in on him and started asking him the questions...he wasn't ready for that.

A very sore spot with me. They ruined my Father's life at a time when he was battling cancer and losing his wife to the same. One day that (same) guy will know that I was onto him...I was thrilled when I handled the work case where it was the same adjustor's name on the emails. I decided to do my homework, and beat him at his own game. Was very satisfying, but I may not be done yet as I will contact ICBC to pass on my info. Hopefully he'll spend the rest of his days thinking about doing an honest day's work.

About time they overhaul and rethink this whole deal.

I agree that a large corporation such as ICBC has a duty to be professional and courteous to you, and to due their due diligence in making sure they're charging the correct premiums, etc

That being said however, it still surprises me how many people don't understand what ICBC is: They're an insurance company, their entire business is run around only having to pay you when they have to, of course they're going to use whatever legal reasons they can to avoid paying out a claim or they'd be bankrupt. ICBC adjusters aren't there to represent your best interests, they're there to represent their company's best interest. It's the exact same concept with any other insurance company, ICBC just gets more notice since they're frequently in the public eye as a result of a.) Being a crown corporation and b.) Being an insurer of an object we use in our everyday lives

y, their entire business is run around only having to pay you when they have to, of course they're going to use whatever legal reasons they can to avoid paying out a claim or they'd be bankrupt. ICBC adjusters aren't there to represent your best interests, they're there to represent their company's best interest

I have had 3 ICBC claims in 31 years of driving (Im 47). Twice it was the fault of the other driver and once my fault. Each time I felt I was fairly treated and my car was repaired correctly. Once the car was written off and I received a reasonable sum for it. I have worked in the auto industry as long as Ive been driving so I know what the car was worth.

Too many people see a ICBC claim as some kind of way to make money. "I have an injury claim in with ICBC" "ohh, how much you gonna get?". Happens all the time.

Think ICBC should be privatized? Try being a young male driver in Alberta and paying anything remotely as low as you pay here. Not even in the same ballpark.

I have had 3 ICBC claims in 31 years of driving (Im 47). Twice it was the fault of the other driver and once my fault. Each time I felt I was fairly treated and my car was repaired correctly. Once the car was written off and I received a reasonable sum for it. I have worked in the auto industry as long as Ive been driving so I know what the car was worth.

Too many people see a ICBC claim as some kind of way to make money. "I have an injury claim in with ICBC" "ohh, how much you gonna get?". Happens all the time.

Think ICBC should be privatized? Try being a young male driver in Alberta and paying anything remotely as low as you pay here. Not even in the same ballpark.

My buddy pays almost twice as much in Ontario than what he would pay here. He also said dealing with multiple insurance companies is a royal pain in the ass.

For those that underpaid, they will not be billed.

no i mean they are going to tell all those people that underpaid that when they renew they are going to pay the adjusted price.

I might be wrong but i assume that is how it works and the only way they can justify adjusting these under paying customers is to payout the overpaying ones but in the end they will make more money from the adjustments then they payout.

I am probably looking at it all wrong.

no i mean they are going to tell all those people that underpaid that when they renew they are going to pay the adjusted price.

I might be wrong but i assume that is how it works and the only way they can justify adjusting these under paying customers is to payout the overpaying ones but in the end they will make more money from the adjustments then they payout.

I am probably looking at it all wrong.

I see what you're saying. I would assume their rates to go up to the proper price. Will they unfairly screw with the rates to their advantage? Of course they will, it's ICBC, LOL!

I'm curious to see what the changes will be for each rate code. I doubt it gets released though.

I agree that a large corporation such as ICBC has a duty to be professional and courteous to you, and to due their due diligence in making sure they're charging the correct premiums, etc

That being said however, it still surprises me how many people don't understand what ICBC is: They're an insurance company, their entire business is run around only having to pay you when they have to, of course they're going to use whatever legal reasons they can to avoid paying out a claim or they'd be bankrupt. ICBC adjusters aren't there to represent your best interests, they're there to represent their company's best interest. It's the exact same concept with any other insurance company, ICBC just gets more notice since they're frequently in the public eye as a result of a.) Being a crown corporation and b.) Being an insurer of an object we use in our everyday lives

This is obvious, however, some of the techniques they use are questionable and information they apply is their spin on things. We are forced to purchase insurance...it should be a fair process.

How about the write off scam they had going? That wasn't "legal"...so some have valid reasons for challenging the integrity of the program.

I agree completely. Most people simply choose to conveniently forget the legal system in Canada, the system of being innocent until proven guilty. Far too many are in an accident, for which they are not at fault, and expect that the other driver must therefore pay for the damages. That is not how our system works, they only pay if you have sufficient evidence over the evidence they present. People honestly believe that ICBC will simply take them at their word, which would be a massive breach of our legal code.

By this logic, an ICBC that is fair would be an ICBC that ignores the legal system. Get in an accident, I suggest calling the police to the scene, proactively finding witnesses, getting video footage of when you speak with the other driver, taking pictures, and immediately hiring a lawyer. If you do not do these things and the other party does, they will have a much stronger case than you, and that is not ICBC's fault as ICBC has no control over that.

ICBC has screwed over a lot of people, and is far from benevolently run, but it isn't nearly as bad as most people claim.

I agree completely. Most people simply choose to conveniently forget the legal system in Canada, the system of being innocent until proven guilty. Far too many are in an accident, for which they are not at fault, and expect that the other driver must therefore pay for the damages. That is not how our system works, they only pay if you have sufficient evidence over the evidence they present. People honestly believe that ICBC will simply take them at their word, which would be a massive breach of our legal code.

By this logic, an ICBC that is fair would be an ICBC that ignores the legal system. Get in an accident, I suggest calling the police to the scene, proactively finding witnesses, getting video footage of when you speak with the other driver, taking pictures, and immediately hiring a lawyer. If you do not do these things and the other party does, they will have a much stronger case than you, and that is not ICBC's fault as ICBC has no control over that.

ICBC has screwed over a lot of people, and is far from benevolently run, but it isn't nearly as bad as most people claim.

I suggest getting a dash cam installed in the vehicle as well.

Archived