The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Heat getting the heck out of dodge.

avelanch

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/abbotsford-heat-moving-out-of-fraser-valley-sources-1.1776224

CTV Vancouver
Published Monday, April 14, 2014 7:07PM PDT
Last Updated Monday, April 14, 2014 9:48PM PDT

The Abbotsford Heat hockey team that’s cost taxpayers millions of dollars in subsidies is being moved out of the Fraser Valley, sources tell CTV News.
Abbotsford city officials are expected to announce the Calgary Flames farm team is out at a press conference Tuesday morning.
Flames CEO Ken King and Abbotsford Heat president Ryan Walter are also scheduled to appear.

There is speculation the Heat will be transferred to Glens Falls, New York, whose American Hockey League team the Adirondack Phantoms is departing later this year.
In March, Glens Falls media reported the Flames’ assistant general manager had toured the Phantoms’ arena after a practice.
Abbotsford has spent more than $5.1 million over the Heat’s past four seasons to cover shortfalls in attendance at its pricey Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre.
The city agreed to the subsidy when it purchased the team, which is contracted into 2019.
Attendance at Heat games has hovered around 2,500 people, roughly one third of the capacity at the $64 million arena.
Tuesday’s press conference is scheduled to start at 10 a.m. at the Abbotsford Entertainment & Sports Centre.

forgive me if it's already been posted.

Look at this image and tell me that moving our farm team to the Fraser valley makes sense for the development of our prospects.AHL-League-Map.jpg

It might make sense for fans, and possibly even for FA but moving the "comets" (or whatever they'd be called) would be terrible for player development. Having them close to Vancouver would increase the spotlight on them, and this fan-base clamoring for success would pick over everything the AHL players do. Also, see map, the closest team to the Heat right now is in, you guessed it, Iowa! This would mean more red-eye flights, and less practice time for our "future Canucks" Is this what we want?

I say leave them in Utica, let them develop outside the spotlight, and use their time for practice/development not travel.

Look at this image and tell me that moving our farm team to the Fraser valley makes sense for the development of our prospects.AHL-League-Map.jpg

It might make sense for fans, and possibly even for FA but moving the "comets" (or whatever they'd be called) would be terrible for player development. Having them close to Vancouver would increase the spotlight on them, and this fan-base clamoring for success would pick over everything the AHL players do. Also, see map, the closest team to the Heat right now is in, you guessed it, Iowa! This would mean more red-eye flights, and less practice time for our "future Canucks" Is this what we want?

I say leave them in Utica, let them develop outside the spotlight, and use their time for practice/development not travel.

Or move em out here and get em used to the travel? .. pro's and con's abound .. access to Canucks staff would make for a much more cohesive transition for players .. playing before a packed house of rabid fans is a definite plus as well

Or move em out here and get em used to the travel? .. pro's and con's abound .. access to Canucks staff would make for a much more cohesive transition for players .. playing before a packed house of rabid fans is a definite plus as well

They are already playing before a packed house of rabid fans in Utica.

You make a really good point. I was hoping the Canucks would move there farm team here after the heat left but now I am uncertain.

There could be few things as stupid as moving the Comets from Utica. Unless the AHL builds a west base for a conference, it is just too far away. The map says it all!

What a waste of a post. v

There could be few things as stupid as moving the Comets to Utica. Unless the AHL builds a west base for a conference, it is just too far away. The map says it all!

I'd agree it's stupid to move the Comets to Utica when they're already there.

having the flames affiliate in adirondack would be an instant rivalry for utica. of course that would mean the comets staying in utica which i think they will. they had a really good first year as far as the city buying in and the team ended up having a pretty good season. i would be so bummed if we end up moving out of utica.

Well it sounds like Vancouver plans on remaining committed to the Utica Comets. A year ago I really believe that the Canucks were looking for a way to move the farm to Abbotsford but the experience in Utica has been so positive that it changed some minds.

The Canucks don't sound interested, releasing a statment on Tuesday afternoon regarding the situation.

"The Vancouver Canucks are committed to our AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets and enjoy a strong relationship with our partner club. A strong base of Utica fans have shown tremendous support throughout the season and the Canucks intend to honour our long-term partnership agreement with the Comets."

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04/15/abbotsford-heat-on-the-move

Well it sounds like Vancouver plans on remaining committed to the Utica Comets. A year ago I really believe that the Canucks were looking for a way to move the farm to Abbotsford but the experience in Utica has been so positive that it changed some minds.

The Canucks don't sound interested, releasing a statment on Tuesday afternoon regarding the situation.

"The Vancouver Canucks are committed to our AHL affiliate, the Utica Comets and enjoy a strong relationship with our partner club. A strong base of Utica fans have shown tremendous support throughout the season and the Canucks intend to honour our long-term partnership agreement with the Comets."

http://www.teamradio.ca/news/2014/04/15/abbotsford-heat-on-the-move

Awesome. It's better for our prospects to settle in and gain some familiar in a city rather than moving again for the third time in five years.

By the way, thanks for the updates in the prospects forum!

Archived